Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:25 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Originally Posted by JamesM
The growth of the farer right in Britain is eerily similar to that in the US where somewhat decent right centred politicians have been pushed out.

Social media has levelled the playing field for these folk who are able to appeal to more extreme elements of society and galvanize them.

It's right that folks should be prosecuted on social media for a certain type of rhetoric.

Racism is on the march and on the rise in all western countries and the fire is being doused with fuel.
l

I agree with this. Trump's stint gave bigots permission to voice their feelings, not just in the USA. . People are more vocal and more aggressive. About it.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The UK and Britain is inherently multicultural - incorporating english, scottish, welsh and northern irish into the same country all with their different languages and traditions. A different flavour to immigrant nations like the US and Canada but still very tolerant.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
The UK and Britain is inherently multicultural - incorporating english, scottish, welsh and northern irish into the same country all with their different languages and traditions. A different flavour to immigrant nations like the US and Canada but still very tolerant.
English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish is not really a multi-culture. All those people look the same (some have more potato like flesh than others but it's marginal). All those people were raised with the same history, albeit often on opposing sides of wars. Significant minorities in all those places are gammon. Some speak rustic languages but it's cosmetic, they need English to function.

That said, London is a multi-culture and an immigrant city. Growing up, waves of immigration were represented on our street. Jews from around the time of WW2 (many nationalities). West Indians from the Windrush bus driver era. Indians. Pakistanis. Chinese, Poles (though they later came in much greater numbers). Immigration made us aware of the world, we used to chase the Biafrans with Polo mints.

Old Jul 15th 2021, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that the whole of the UK is racist. Only certain elements of British society are however racist. Brexit has also strengthened this.

Same as the recent UEFA cup and football. It's not racist either, but certain fans are racist.

Old Jul 15th 2021, 12:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I don't think that the whole of the UK is racist. Only certain elements of British society are however racist. Brexit has also strengthened this.

Same as the recent UEFA cup and football. It's not racist either, but certain fans are racist.
The biggest problem is that the UK is led by a PM who is undoubtedly racist, and he is supported by a racist Home Secretary.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The biggest problem is that the UK is led by a PM who is undoubtedly racist, and he is supported by a racist Home Secretary.
Boris may be blond haired and possibly see himself a some kind of Arian, but as far as I know he also a Middle Eastern background, namely from Turkey.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:24 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The online element has been mentioned. But what and where does this online influence come from. I have seen a big US influence, of things never really part of British culture.
memes get imported from the US, often with awkward edits. US vet worship is a good example, it was never a thing in the UK, outside 11/11. Now the internet has many vet and service person worship memes, the text is British related, but often if you look close the uniform or equipment is American.
Same with the flag shagging memes
Now you don't have to be a vet worshipper or a flag shagger to be racist, but In the US, they seem to be the entry drugs.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Boris may be blond haired and possibly see himself a some kind of Arian, but as far as I know he also a Middle Eastern background, namely from Turkey.
Letterboxes. Piccaninnies. Watermelon smiles. Failure to condemn booing of footballers taking the knee. His behavior is racist.

I don't imagine he has any personal view on race, I think he's an opportunistic racist, he judges that xenophobia fits the mood of the country and so he's a racist for the moment. He's PM and there's Brexit so I suppose him to be correct.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 1:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The online element has been mentioned. But what and where does this online influence come from. I have seen a big US influence, of things never really part of British culture.
memes get imported from the US, often with awkward edits. US vet worship is a good example, it was never a thing in the UK, outside 11/11. Now the internet has many vet and service person worship memes, the text is British related, but often if you look close the uniform or equipment is American.
Same with the flag shagging memes
Now you don't have to be a vet worshipper or a flag shagger to be racist, but In the US, they seem to be the entry drugs.
"Veteran" is a personal bugbear of mine. I come from a services family and not one of them would describe themselves as a veteran - an ex-serviceman, certainly, but never a veteran. It's a horrible American import and I don't really know how and when it happened. But otherwise I agree with you, the "vet-worship and flag-shagging" are the spinal cord of the average racist.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 2:01 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Letterboxes. Piccaninnies. Watermelon smiles. Failure to condemn booing of footballers taking the knee. His behavior is racist.

I don't imagine he has any personal view on race, I think he's an opportunistic racist, he judges that xenophobia fits the mood of the country and so he's a racist for the moment. He's PM and there's Brexit so I suppose him to be correct.
Johnson probably isn't a racist, he's just a total snob but he'll overlook your colour/religion/morals as long as you're rich enough and if you can help him in his avaricious trundle through the Game of Life, viz. Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Sajid Javid...
Old Jul 15th 2021, 2:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Johnson probably isn't a racist, he's just a total snob but he'll overlook your colour/religion/morals as long as you're rich enough and if you can help him in his avaricious trundle through the Game of Life, viz. Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Sajid Javid...
Yes, he's primarily classist but there's an overlap in that, if you're black or gammon, you're unlikely to belong to a class acceptable to him.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 11:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, he's primarily classist but there's an overlap in that, if you're black or gammon, you're unlikely to belong to a class acceptable to him.
I agree with these observations.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Now racist? It always has been: https://historicengland.org.uk/resea...nd-resistance/

Speak to anyone Black, Asian, African, etc. and they will confirm the UK has always been racist, even while it has diversified. If you're white, you would not necessarily see or experience it. But the UK has always been racist. Listen to your non-white friends about this topic, not your fellow white folk.

Last edited by Lychee; Jul 16th 2021 at 2:00 am.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 2:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lychee
Now racist? It always has been. Speak to anyone Black, Asian, African, etc. and they will confirm the UK has always been racist, even while it has diversified. If you're white, you would not necessarily see or experience it. But the UK has always been racist. Listen to your non-white friends about this topic, not your fellow white folk.
Sometimes I think the word prejudice is a far better than the word racist ,as this word has come to mean a form of white v any other skin hue. Prejudice happens to many sorts of folks and I should know as I've been on the hard receiving end in my time simply for where one of my parents came from... Ireland. I'm whitish pink in skin colour. So prejudice happens to all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, prejudiced, but also racist. Again, this is a topic for us to listen to non-white folks about their experiences, being judged, dismissed, not given the benefit of the doubt, overlooked, threatened, despised, assaulted, etc. over the colour of their skin. This form of racism has always been present in the UK. The UK has always been racist. It's okay to feel uncomfortable about this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.