Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Old Jul 12th 2021, 2:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Of course the nation isn't racist. But there has been a marked increase in xenophobia, which was stoked quite deliberately by pro-Brexit campaigners. Add to that the current 'culture wars' being waged by reactionary groups - including by members of the government - against anyone or anything they deem "woke", and it seems as though large parts of England* are indeed very angry about, well, everything.

*It appears to be a uniquely English phenomenon, not the UK as a whole.
I'd disagree that it's a uniquely English phenomenon as it is rampant in the US and in some parts of Canada. Perhaps not so prevalent in Scotland though?
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:03 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'd disagree that it's a uniquely English phenomenon as it is rampant in the US and in some parts of Canada. Perhaps not so prevalent in Scotland though?
It's a lot simpler in Scotland - we just hate the English.

I did mean "uniquely English" in the context of just the UK, but I take your point about elsewhere. In Europe too, with Hungary and Russia etc. Anywhere and everywhere that's a bit backward really. It's just sad that the UK appears to have regressed back to that ignorant attitude instead of being a progressive country.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Er, this talkboard is an example of social media. Paulry is an example of an imbecile who posts rubbish like that.
It is a form of social media yes, but its not like the across the board platforms like facebook twittter etc... This is more of niche discussion forum, its only broadcast to the expat fraternity.

Who is Paulry?
Old Jul 12th 2021, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Evil bitch or genius?

A raging woman was arrested in China after deliberately running through 49 red lights with her ex's Audi to spite him for leaving her for another woman, reports claim.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...9-red-24518289

Edit this should be in the random thread.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jul 12th 2021 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 5:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

China yes, UK no.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 6:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem the UK currently has is the fact that a number of people holding high positions in the government are inherently racist, just look at the situation of Johnson, with his 'letterboxes' 'Picanniny smiles' comments that have come back to haunt him, Priti Patel has also come up with some pretty bad racist comments, especially regarding returning aslylum seekers, sending them to camps in Southern Africa, condemming the England team 'taking the knee' one day, then praising them the next day.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There's always been a racist streak to the English ................... against Jewish people, against Catholics, against the Irish.

In the 50s it was against the people coming from the Caribbean. The Windrush has come back to haunt you recently.

In the early 1970s it was against the people thrown out of Uganda by Idi Amin .............. all British citizens because they had been in Uganda for many years and that had been a British Colony. The fact that there ancestors had migrated from India to Uganda at least 2 or 3 generations prior was the cause of the racism.

I had heard racist comments about the religions and nationalities listed above, but I quite honestly had never heard racist comments anywhere near those I heard in 1972 and 1975 against those Ugandan Asians.

The usual of course, taking jobs away from the British ................. never mind that the British would never look a becoing a janitor or public toilet cleaner.

Canada also took in many hundreds of Ugandan Asians, all were professionals, all received monetary help fro mthe Canadian government to help them settle.

All but 1 repaid that money before one year was over, and the one who didn't was sick.

Now you get the comments against Muslims who have come from Pakistan and India, against British-born black people ........ especially against against those who don't live up to some exalted status, such as failing to get a penalty kick at the end of a soccer game.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Now you get the comments against Muslims who have come from Pakistan and India, against British-born black people ........ especially against against those who don't live up to some exalted status, such as failing to get a penalty kick at the end of a soccer game.
Exactly and now you'll even find people from the Asian community make racist comments against the African-Caribbean community. I remember reading about the Birmingham riots back then and you can actually find info on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Birmingham_riots
Old Jul 13th 2021, 3:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There were riots in the 50's in Notting Hill... and against people from Pakistan in the 60's, this has been going on for a long time.. but you can't generalise. Yes, there will always be the odd few who have racist tendencies but the majority of people are all encompassing.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There were riots in the 50's in Notting Hill... and against people from Pakistan in the 60's, this has been going on for a long time.. but you can't generalise. Yes, there will always be the odd few who have racist tendencies but the majority of people are all encompassing.
Agreed!! The UK has come a long way since then. Sadly racism will always exist in certain pockets of the world

The media and some politicians just love to generalise.... its like Jagmeet Singh calling Canada a racist country and not safe for Muslim people because of one deranged lunatic in a truck... it was no different to that van attack, another lunatic with a murderous agenda....

These are not normal everyday people. So its not fair to generalise the whole of the UK or the whole of Canada to be that way.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Agreed!! The UK has come a long way since then. Sadly racism will always exist in certain pockets of the world

The media and some politicians just love to generalise.... its like Jagmeet Singh calling Canada a racist country and not safe for Muslim people because of one deranged lunatic in a truck... it was no different to that van attack, another lunatic with a murderous agenda....

These are not normal everyday people. So its not fair to generalise the whole of the UK or the whole of Canada to be that way.
As always, you are a voice of reason. You should be active on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). I'm sure you would enjoy it and find it useful and informative

I pay very little attention to politicians and what they have to say. Don't listen to guys like Jagmeet and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 7:25 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly racism will always exist in certain pockets of the world
I suggest that many of those pockets belong to the rich and powerful. Even the royal family and most Westimster governments have form for not being terrifically keen on 'different' people.

These are not normal everyday people.
If you are suggesting that normal everyday people can't be or aren't racist, or that racism isn't a normal part of everyday life for some people, you're naive beyond belief.

The media and some politicians just love to generalise.
On generalisation, I agree with you, but I suspect you'd just like to leave it at that and declare all is well with the world, sweep, sweep. Isn't it generalisation for Priti Patel to dismiss anti-racist protests as mere 'gesture politics'? (And then, without a hint of irony, go on to tweet a picture of her in an England shirt. She's not a genuine football fan, why did she do that? Was it a ... gesture?!)

Old Jul 14th 2021, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
As always, you are a voice of reason. You should be active on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). I'm sure you would enjoy it and find it useful and informative

I pay very little attention to politicians and what they have to say. Don't listen to guys like Jagmeet and you'll be fine.
Well thanks PD, glad someone recognises that, thats all I try to be..

I think your right about modern politicians....I think ol' Jagmeet has lost the plot with his rants.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jul 14th 2021 at 1:43 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 14th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I suggest that many of those pockets belong to the rich and powerful. Even the royal family and most Westimster governments have form for not being terrifically keen on 'different' people.

If you are suggesting that normal everyday people can't be or aren't racist, or that racism isn't a normal part of everyday life for some people, you're naive beyond belief.

On generalisation, I agree with you, but I suspect you'd just like to leave it at that and declare all is well with the world, sweep, sweep. Isn't it generalisation for Priti Patel to dismiss anti-racist protests as mere 'gesture politics'? (And then, without a hint of irony, go on to tweet a picture of her in an England shirt. She's not a genuine football fan, why did she do that? Was it a ... gesture?!)
I am not rich or powerful, so I would know very little about what these pockets of people believe...unless of course you listen to the mainstream media which I have said before...is full of sensationalist BS constantly stoking the flames

Come on, that is a ridiculous blanket statement to make, personally I choose not to mix in those circles of people that are racists, and I do not go looking for them, or over analysing every single thing the average person says to see if I can find a racist connotation in it , the every day normal people I know are exactly that, not racist and certainly wouldn't go on murderous rampages.

All is not well with the world....its a mad, crazy messed up place at present, and I am not sure its going to get any better... it fills me with despair if I am honest.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 11:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The biggest problem the UK currently has is the fact that a number of people holding high positions in the government are inherently racist, just look at the situation of Johnson, with his 'letterboxes' 'Picanniny smiles' comments that have come back to haunt him, Priti Patel has also come up with some pretty bad racist comments, especially regarding returning aslylum seekers, sending them to camps in Southern Africa, condemming the England team 'taking the knee' one day, then praising them the next day.
The growth of the farer right in Britain is eerily similar to that in the US where somewhat decent right centred politicians have been pushed out.

Social media has levelled the playing field for these folk who are able to appeal to more extreme elements of society and galvanize them.

It's right that folks should be prosecuted on social media for a certain type of rhetoric.

Racism is on the march and on the rise in all western countries and the fire is being doused with fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.