Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Old Jul 12th 2021, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the whole of the UK now racist?

I don't really have an opinion on this as I've been in Canada for 14 years and it's been at least 5 years since I've been back to visit.
But it seems like there is a lots of comments on social media these days that we are racist as island and I don't remember people being that way. Maybe its a Brexit thing (although the EU do run things crappy so I get it).

Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the whole of the UK now racist?

Originally Posted by Rixy
I don't really have an opinion on this as I've been in Canada for 14 years and it's been at least 5 years since I've been back to visit.
But it seems like there is a lots of comments on social media these days that we are racist as island and I don't remember people being that way. Maybe its a Brexit thing (although the EU do run things crappy so I get it).
Doesn't seem any more racist than it used to be, really. There will always be fekwits, in every country. Doesn't mean the whole place is the same.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a lot less racist, and far more diverse.

The difference is social media, which gives the idiots an outlet and somewhere to publicly spout their hate, whereas before they'd only be able to share it with their family/the blokes down the pub etc. So I think it's just more noticeable now.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

The difference is social media, which gives the idiots an outlet and somewhere to publicly spout their hate, whereas before they'd only be able to share it with their family/the blokes down the pub etc. So I think it's just more noticeable now.
There are popular figures promoting racism now in a way that hasn't been acceptable for a long time, that's how they got Brexit done, and now there's a racist television station. Football supporters haven't changed but more of society has adopted their attitudes.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is it even possible for an entire nation to be racist?
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There are popular figures promoting racism now in a way that hasn't been acceptable for a long time, that's how they got Brexit done, and now there's a racist television station. Football supporters haven't changed but more of society has adopted their attitudes.
What's the racist television station?
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Is it even possible for an entire nation to be racist?
That's what I thought exactly.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

All the comments make sense. It's mostly social media I see, people from mainland Europe and Africa.
I gave up facebook ages ago and now I think I'll give up Twitter, etc. Just too much hate on those platforms
I know we are not perfect nation in the past look at the stuff with John A MacDonald in Canada but I believe we have come a long way since then.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:30 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

What's the racist television station?
GB News aka Fox/Breitbart lite. Any TV station with Nigel Farage in a Union Jack waistcoat is inherently racist...

To the OP's question, I think UK is still considerable more diverse than Canada, or at least many parts of it and not inherently racist. There has been a government in power for some time that has encouraged and amplified racist tropes ("How dare those footballers take the knee, keep the politics out of sport" etc etc) for their own means. It's no surprise then, for the echo chambers and amplification of social media to make it very visible.

Fred Drifting....fun fact, if you post the pic of an England supporter bent over with a lighted flare stuffed up his arse which was doing the rounds on twitter yesterday to Facebook it apparently contravenes FB rules on nudity and you get a stern automated warning. Ask me how I know....
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
GB News aka Fox/Breitbart lite.
Never even heard of it. Won't rush out to watch it then.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from social media and everything else, it probably feels that way because the nation is so diverse. Redheads were always bullied and it wasn't seen as racism when a white British person made fun of them. Because the nation is now so diverse the chances are even higher that other ethnic groups will bully that person, so today it would be seen as racism (It always was in reality).

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 12th 2021 at 11:47 am.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with this. It is more diverse and attitudes have changed towards race.

The problem is social media...as you say its a much bigger platform to broadcast it. Its toxic. and it is a major problem to modern society, I have never had anything to do with it because its full of imbeciles that post rubbish like that.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
GB News aka Fox/Breitbart lite. Any TV station with Nigel Farage in a Union Jack waistcoat is inherently racist...

To the OP's question, I think UK is still considerable more diverse than Canada, or at least many parts of it and not inherently racist. There has been a government in power for some time that has encouraged and amplified racist tropes ("How dare those footballers take the knee, keep the politics out of sport" etc etc) for their own means. It's no surprise then, for the echo chambers and amplification of social media to make it very visible.

Fred Drifting....fun fact, if you post the pic of an England supporter bent over with a lighted flare stuffed up his arse which was doing the rounds on twitter yesterday to Facebook it apparently contravenes FB rules on nudity and you get a stern automated warning. Ask me how I know....
Wow that paints a great picture if we didn't have a bad england fan rep as it is. One of the reasons I brought up the topic is that I'm getting a bit home sick and was thinking of moving back. When I first came to Canada I lived in St. John's, NL and it was just enough english/irish mix to quell the homesickness but last 6 years I've been just outside Ottawa and the people are cold to talk to.
Maybe I'll go back to Newfoundland instead of England.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

The problem is social media...as you say its a much bigger platform to broadcast it. Its toxic. and it is a major problem to modern society, I have never had anything to do with it because its full of imbeciles that post rubbish like that.
Er, this talkboard is an example of social media. Paulry is an example of an imbecile who posts rubbish like that.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 1:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the nation isn't racist. But there has been a marked increase in xenophobia, which was stoked quite deliberately by pro-Brexit campaigners. Add to that the current 'culture wars' being waged by reactionary groups - including by members of the government - against anyone or anything they deem "woke", and it seems as though large parts of England* are indeed very angry about, well, everything.

*It appears to be a uniquely English phenomenon, not the UK as a whole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.