British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Whodunnit - solve the mystery please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/whodunnit-solve-mystery-please-929087/)

BristolUK Nov 5th 2019 2:39 pm

Whodunnit - solve the mystery please

Yesterday there was a car parked outside our house, down a bit but not as far as next door's driveway. The house next door has been empty for 4 years minimum and boarded up, displaying a notice about not entering as it's unsafe. Every few weeks a fire truck arrives and they check it's still secured.

I don't know when the car got there but it was definitely not there yesterday because my tree removers were parked there.

Late morning, right outside our house was a car from The City and the official was out of his car noting the licence plate and taking a photograph of the car.

There's a fire hydrant but it's two houses further down. The car was within a foot of the kerb and nothing obviously wrong with it.

The car was likely there for only 3 or 4 hours.

Anyone have any theories why the City may be interested?

spouse of scouse Nov 5th 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Whodunnit - solve the mystery please

I don't know the answer, but I feel there's a butler involved in there somewhere.

Alex2201 Nov 5th 2019 3:16 pm

Curtain twitcher has rung the council and said that it's been parked there "for the longest time" :rofl:

BristolUK Nov 5th 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12759302)
I don't know the answer, but I feel there's a butler involved in there somewhere.

Colonel Mustard with the lead pipe in the library.

dave_j Nov 5th 2019 3:30 pm

It's one of a small fleet of cars that one small group of city employees, let's call them the 'A' Team, drives around and parks cars outside houses at random for a few hours. Once done, they trot off to have a beer, on expenses..
They then alert another group of city employees, who for reasons that escape me at the moment, we'll call the 'B' Team, drive around and try to find them.
Once they do, they photograph the find and alert a third group, yes you've got it.. the 'C' Team. They trot off to have a beer, on expenses of course.
The 'C' Team drive out and collect the cars and hands them over to the 'A' Team again and, yes you know what's coming, they trot off to have a beer, also on expenses.
Q. Why do they do this?
A. There's no reason that makes sense other than the teams are composed entirely of, otherwise unemployable, relatives of high ranking city officials who like drinking beer.

Danny B Nov 5th 2019 4:16 pm

Siouxie Nov 5th 2019 4:59 pm

Simples :D They decided to expand the Moncton Overnight Winter Parking Ban to start from 4th November instead of December 1st and it was a 'meter maid' in the City vehicle.... or.... someone had complained about them parking there without a Residential Parking Permit or a Guest pass - and the City sent someone down to get proof for the prosecution.
https://www.moncton.ca/get-around/parking
:p

BristolUK Nov 5th 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12759353)
Simples :D They decided to expand the Moncton Overnight Winter Parking Ban to start from 4th November instead of December 1st and it was a 'meter maid' in the City vehicle.... or.... someone had complained about them parking there without a Residential Parking Permit or a Guest pass - and the City sent someone down to get proof for the prosecution.
https://www.moncton.ca/get-around/parking
:p

By heavens, Holmes, I think you cracked the case.

There's been nothing in the paper about winter parking rules yet but we are in that hospital zone. It would seem likely that someone reported the car - or an official driving around happened to see it and checked.

There's a different car out there right now in the very same spot. And two further up that have been there all day.

I'm not a driver but if I was and I had a permit, why wouldn't I be parking on the drive anyway? All the houses here have them. :confused:

Teaandtoday5 Nov 6th 2019 12:46 am

Ooh this is like Mumsnet. All it needs is a mother-in-law, and a friend on the PTA.

BristolUK Nov 6th 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12759537)
Ooh this is like Mumsnet. All it needs is a mother-in-law, and a friend on the PTA.

It was my mother in law who saw what was happening :lol:

Siouxie Nov 6th 2019 3:19 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12759388)
By heavens, Holmes, I think you cracked the case.

There's been nothing in the paper about winter parking rules yet but we are in that hospital zone. It would seem likely that someone reported the car - or an official driving around happened to see it and checked.

There's a different car out there right now in the very same spot. And two further up that have been there all day.

I'm not a driver but if I was and I had a permit, why wouldn't I be parking on the drive anyway? All the houses here have them. :confused:

Because they work at the hospital or other local venue, don't want to pay the fees for parking there, so are parking on your street (hint, they don't live there) ! :D

BristolUK Nov 6th 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12759562)
Because they work at the hospital or other local venue, don't want to pay the fees for parking there, so are parking on your street (hint, they don't live there) ! :D

Ah, I wasn't clear. By "I'm not a driver but if I was and I had a permit, why wouldn't I be parking on the drive anyway?" I literally meant me (or someone else who is resident). I meant being a resident and having a permit to allow parking on the street why wouldn't one park on the drive rather than the street?

There's a house just up a bit with three cars and they are in and out at different times of the day. Their drive is narrow so it makes sense for them to park on the street because they can come and go without being in each other's way. But other drives have side by side parking and you still see a car on the drive sometimes and other times on the street. It even happens with an apartment building where they all have their spaces.

Of course, if someone pops home to dash in and pick up something, they may not bother to pull onto the drive. But then what are the chances of one of the city officials happening to turn up at that very moment or arriving in response to someone phoning in before the person dashing in for a minute has left.

Bearing in mind that this person has a permit anyway but could have parked on their drive.

And yes, I have too much time on my hands. :o:rofl:

caretaker Nov 6th 2019 9:40 pm

Maybe someone has company visiting without a permit, and they are parking in the driveway.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3bba905c32.png

Expatrick Nov 7th 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12759971)
Maybe someone has company visiting without a permit, and they are parking in the driveway.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...3bba905c32.png

Ah, Magyar Gran - the terror of postmen & delivery guys!

BristolUK Nov 12th 2020 5:52 pm

A new local mystery.
A few days ago a post about two foot high appeared in front of our house - in the grass between sidewalk and street. It's not a post marking anything for a snow plow. Just up a bit, in front of next door was another and down a bit too. So our house and one either side

This morning I heard the sound of a pneumatic drill and looked out. They were using it on the grassy bit. Quicker than a spade I suppose. Then they went down and did the next one.

Where the posts were are now traffic cones.

I thought it might be rather amusing to go out and move them :rofl: but what might they be doing?
There are four cones (3 properties in a row and 1 up the street a fair bit) all our side and nothing the other side.

Maybe they're knocking us down and haven't told us yet.