Reload this Page >

Who gets the flu shot?

Who gets the flu shot?

Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:08 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who gets the flu shot?

Originally Posted by babsi
I hate these kinds of posts from people who have no idea at all of some of the situations that people are in that make them stay.
I hate some people who just slag off Canada and Canadians, if they feel like that then they shouldn't have bothered coming over here in the first place, and yes booked a flight back again would have been wise.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
3 or 4 months is a lot of time to be cooped up inside, and cant possibly be good for your mental or physical well-being IMO. I used to go a bit stir crazy, but since having kids and getting involved in the "typical" stuff they do in the winter, skating, skiing etc Ive come to actually look forward to the change of seasons and the opportunities presented by that.
Well I'd like to be able to say that I'm just mentally stronger than other people and able to accept the "reality" of winter rather than coming up with all these stupid platitudes and coping mechanisms that other people seem to use a lot.

However I think it has more to do with the fact that in Calgary it is at least blindingly sunny for most of the winter and that tends to mitigate the fact it is cold, plus it is also extremely dry here, so I don't have to go outside and shovel snow.

Looking at that picture you posted I think the primary use I would have for your TV mast is to hang myself, if I walked out to that much snow in the morning!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
I hate some people who just slag off Canada and Canadians, if they feel like that then they shouldn't have bothered coming over here in the first place, and yes booked a flight back again would have been wise.
You obviously have no idea at all of people's INDIVIDUAL situations.

And for the record I can't go back home due to the new spouse visa regulations which is affecting British citizens worldwide.

Great for you that life is so good!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
I don't agree with the flu shot either....I think a positive state of mind, and good balanced dier....and good hand washing like they teach you in hospitals works for me
You've clearly never had the full-on flu is my response to that.

But yes the flu shot is largely pointless because it protects against strains that you aren't likely to get, the main reason I have it frankly is that they do the pneumonia vaccination at the same time which I think has more value.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bats
+1
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by iaink
Not in 1918 it wasnt...
Am I the only person who has had family suffer from influenza?

Half of my grandmother's family was killed in the flu pandemic, she originally had seven siblings, but her father and three siblings died from it.

My father also caught influenza, not a bad cold, I mean he was in his thirties and he was in a really bad way for weeks.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I already said I hate those who come to Canada and slag off Canada and Canadians
I find their depth of experience interesting. Their stories are often sad and always multi-faceted. Bullying people who have already experienced mixed fortunes in life strikes me as shallow.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_
Am I the only person who has had family suffer from influenza?

Half of my grandmother's family was killed in the flu pandemic, she originally had seven siblings, but her father and three siblings died from it.

My father also caught influenza, not a bad cold, I mean he was in his thirties and he was in a really bad way for weeks.
No you are not, I don't have this issue personally speaking within my family, but it's a fact it causes death, especially in older adults with an already compromised immune system etc. Young children too who are still building up their immunity. We all get our flu shots in my family.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I find their depth of experience interesting. Their stories are often sad and always multi-faceted. Bullying people who have already experienced mixed fortunes in life strikes me as shallow.
Are you a bully then? I think most of us have experienced mixed fortunes in life and the smart ones go and deal with it, rather than go raging off at people for it, or getting our facts wrong. I believe this thread is meant to be on topic about flu shots. So maybe it's just an argument some of you seek mostly. Well there's a shock!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interesting article:

http://focusonline.ca/?q=node/447
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'd like to be able to say that I'm just mentally stronger than other people and able to accept the "reality" of winter rather than coming up with all these stupid platitudes and coping mechanisms that other people seem to use a lot.

However I think it has more to do with the fact that in Calgary it is at least blindingly sunny for most of the winter and that tends to mitigate the fact it is cold, plus it is also extremely dry here, so I don't have to go outside and shovel snow.

Looking at that picture you posted I think the primary use I would have for your TV mast is to hang myself, if I walked out to that much snow in the morning!
The sun shines most of the winter here in Ontario too, and we have maybe half a dozen decent snow storms a year. Dont think I shovelled more than a handful of times last year anyway.

Main difference might be our winter is shorter, but we dont get the temporary relief of the chinook winds. Those have been known to mess with peoples heads too though. I seem to recall from past discussions that cold in Alberta (dry or not) is significantly colder than in Ontario, but the Chinooks help to average things out.

Its one thing to cope and survive and put up with, but where's the fun in that? What do you do in the winter, you didnt say, or do you just hold out for it to end?

Last edited by iaink; Oct 15th 2012 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Probably
Some of the petty posts/posters on here are a bit disturbing
You don't know the half of it. The annual "flu shot" thread is a mere warmup for the upcoming "Remembrance Day" punchup.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You don't know the half of it. The annual "flu shot" thread is a mere warmup for the upcoming "Remembrance Day" punchup.
Then on into snowtires and blockheaters
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a bully then?
Perhaps, however the reference was to your bitchy post, one that has now been deleted.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So your coping mechanism is superior to those others use, is that what you are saying?

What does it matter what mechanisms people use to cope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.