Wikiposts

White privilege???

Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White privilege???

We have thought about moving, the hurdle is moving to a place like Calgary, our income would drop approx 50% due to loss of disability, and while rent is cheaper it's not cheap enough to make up for loss of income. If rent is 50% less, but income will be 50% less as well, one isn't really any better off.

While Alberta does have disability, there is no guarantee she would be approved there.

There is also the cost to move, we could not come up with the funds to move long distance nor do we have the savings to live on while I found a job. I am not in a skill level where employers will really consider a skype interview and even consider an outside of the region applicants, why bother with an out of region applicant when there will be plenty of local applicants for the job.

I have tried in the past applying for jobs in other areas outside of the region with no success, if I do get a reply, it's email or call us once your in the area.

Our income is higher now then it was when we were paying $850/month, but not high enough to make us better off financially since our rent now is about double.

That place in Squamish now rents for 1,450/month and there is no way we could find jobs there that pay enough to cover that rent which is one reason we moved, rents are super high in Squamish and wages not so good.

If we could maintain our BC income in a place like NB or parts of ON, we would be pretty okay, the problem is maintaining the income since part of our income is from disability and I don't have the skill level to make that much, and my skill level even in NB where rent and some things are lower cost isn't enough to bring us up to a better situation, and she would likely also lose a lot of mental health supports in NB as from what I can tell are pretty limited compared to what she gets in Vancouver, even in other parts of BC she cannot get this level of mental health services.

Financially we were best off when in BC Housing and our rent was never over 30% of our income, and we are on the BC Housing wait list currently, its long though in Vancouver so can take 5-10 years sometimes.

I am not a risk taker with moving anymore, I moved to several places in Canada including parts of ON and I was no better off in any of those places, rent was cheaper, but income was less which resulted in the same situation.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Purely based on what you've said about work over the last few months, in terms of income you seem to be doing well.

Are you doing better, financially, than when you had the apartment for about $850 I think you said it was?

Last year you were going to move to MIL's place and then you got a break is that still working out?

I can't remember who it was now but there was someone on BE - a couple - who were renting an apartment in Calgary that sounded very nice, public transport right outside and about 15 minutes walk from downtown. About $800 a month rent, including something else IIRC, if not heating, then internet maybe. I was quite astonished at that.

I know the disability money doesn't necessarily transfer, but I think there are some provinces where their version may be just as good or close enough to not matter if the upside was lower rent and stability. And even over here the lower rent and stability might compensate for the loss of disability. But maybe not the climate

The stumbling block seems to be not knowing until it's experienced.

Could you fall back on MIL if you tried and it didn't work? The next time you have to move, maybe bite the bullet and give it a go?

In our case, for some time now I've been thinking that if moving from this house became a solution to a problem then I'd take the chance and move to Ontario. Right now, for example, I have doubts that when I'm dead and gone the stepkids would be able to make the costs of remaining in this house once their capital ran out. So it might be best to move before that time comes. And why not Ontario? I'm sure that between me and them and with the likelihood of further inheritance/insurance we could buy something that while more expensive than our house, the running costs would be less.

Also my stepson really needs help/support in getting work. That sort of assistance doesn't exist in NB (unless you get some welfare and he doesn't qualify) but I believe it does in Ontario. But even if it didn't or made no difference I do think they'd be better off.

Of course we could do the same here with a smaller place.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 13th 2018 at 4:53 am.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 5:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We have thought about moving, the hurdle is moving to a place like Calgary, our income would drop approx 50% due to loss of disability, and while rent is cheaper it's not cheap enough to make up for loss of income. If rent is 50% less, but income will be 50% less as well, one isn't really any better off.
True enough but I was thinking about stability too. You may not be better off to begin with but then your rent is much less likely to go up and cause yet another search and move for a cheaper place.
Like you mentioned the Squamish place now renting for $1450 when not long ago it was $850.
The rents on my duplex were $490/$540 (1bed/2bed) when I bought in 2005 and when I sold in 2016 they were $550/$640.

The buyer advertised the rent for the 2 bed @ $750 including heat and lights. I was quoted equalised payments @ $200 a month the previous year so rent @ $550 was a reduction to 2005 level!!

There is also the cost to move, we could not come up with the funds to move long distance nor do we have the savings to live on while I found a job. I am not in a skill level where employers will really consider a skype interview and even consider an outside of the region applicants, why bother with an out of region applicant when there will be plenty of local applicants for the job.
Yes, I was forgetting stuff like that. It makes it so much harder. It's not like one of you could go on ahead either.
I am not a risk taker with moving anymore...
Yes. What you need is a way from A to C that doesn't involve B.
Do you know any genies?

Old Mar 13th 2018, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Squamish like most city's and towns within commute distance of Vancouver have seen rents skyrocket in recent years.

Up 16% in 2017 from 2016 level alone....

0.3% Vacancy rate as well one of the lowest in the province.

Around 2014 Squamish saw an influx of people moving there to buy and rent to escape Vancouver prices but the demand outstripped supply and still does which pushed prices up quickly forcing a lot of long time locals to have to move as they could no longer afford rent.

End of 2013 we looked at a condo for rent which was 1,000/month now one beds in that building average around 1,800-1,900 per month.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
True enough but I was thinking about stability too. You may not be better off to begin with but then your rent is much less likely to go up and cause yet another search and move for a cheaper place.
Like you mentioned the Squamish place now renting for $1450 when not long ago it was $850.
The rents on my duplex were $490/$540 (1bed/2bed) when I bought in 2005 and when I sold in 2016 they were $550/$640.

The buyer advertised the rent for the 2 bed @ $750 including heat and lights. I was quoted equalised payments @ $200 a month the previous year so rent @ $550 was a reduction to 2005 level!!

Yes, I was forgetting stuff like that. It makes it so much harder. It's not like one of you could go on ahead either.

Yes. What you need is a way from A to C that doesn't involve B.
Do you know any genies?

http://www.crystalinks.com/movgenie.gif
Old Mar 13th 2018, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Been there, done that... Paul, I really feel for you. The anxiety induced by that whole "every week that goes by puts a bigger gap in the employment history" thing can be disheartening to the point of being totally debilitating, but it sounds like you're still keeping positive which helps you present yourself better in the interviews you do secure.

Hopefully yours will be one more case that proves the old adage that perseverance pays. I lost count of the number of colleagues in jobseekers' groups who were out of work for a reasonably long period then suddenly found they had to make a choice between multiple offers as companies started hiring again.

Good luck. Hope it all comes together for you soon.
Thanks Oakvillian, I do feel like giving up, as its the same old pattern I get a promising lead but then it goes cold and nothing comes to fruition, but I really have no choice but to keep on persevering, I am loathed to lose everything I have worked for, so that keeps me going whether I like it or not.

I know what your saying about having to make a choice between multiple offers....I have a feeling this may happen to me, and as sod's law goes, I bet they won't be offers I can make an easy choice between! However compared to the problems that I am currently facing, I would much prefer that problem.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I actually have been looking too since Jan and it has picked up a lot in the last couple of weeks for me as well.

A friend of mine changed career a couple of years ago because he was fed up with Telco and now works for Toyota in Cambridge on the production line. He actually makes pretty good money because he picks up the odd Saturday over time and rent is much cheaper than Toronto.

My industry is still relatively strong but check it out. He told me they always need folks. It may be no help to you but might be worth having a look:

Home - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada | TMMC Cambridge & Woodstock

I didn't realise you were looking for a job too? Or are you still employed and looking for something that would better suit your future aspirations?

I actually applied for one of those production line worker jobs at Toyota, as I have also been looking into diversifying from my original career, and the big draw to that opportunity, was they were obviously willing to train and as you say they were paying decent money....even while you are training, a certain level of pay is important in life (back to what we were saying a few posts earlier)

Unfortunately I got turned down...however I actually got an email from them telling me that, which was really quite novel! You don't expect that these days.

However if I have taken the trouble to travel to an interview, I expect a reply one way or another. Out of over 90 applications I have had only 5 interviews, and out of these 5 companies that interviewed me, not one had to decency to let me know whether I had been successful or not, despite me following each interview up with a thankful sychophantic email and then later a further enquiry into the status of my application after that. Nothing.

Apart from finding that very rude and discourteous, that tells me that there are no shortage applicants so they feel they can do what they like and treat people how they please as they have a "plenty more where that came from" attitude. So in my field at least, to me, that kind of behaviour kind of proves my point that there are too many applicants and not enough jobs, but I will continue to persevere as there is no other choice, and hope that they don't throw the "why have you been unemployed since May" in my face!

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that Toyota line worker job though....maybe I will apply again! Why not indeed.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:09 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If I had lots of money I'd get my boat seats reupholstered and maybe (excuse the pun) splash out on one of them posh 3D Structure Scan fish finders.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:14 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I didn't realise you were looking for a job too? Or are you still employed and looking for something that would better suit your future aspirations?
I haven't worked since mid-December. I was at a tech start up who cut several of us senior folk out the blue.

I started actively looking in the second week of January. Nothing started to move though till mid-February.

I'll probably stick with my field (Software Sales) just because I can't afford the pay cut to learn something new.

My ratio of response is similar to yours. I find it has been about 10 applications for every interview.

My take is half the jobs aren't even real or the resumes don't get looked at because they have someone in mind.

I had an interview today for a job I applied for two months ago. I heard nothing then saw it posted again last week so re-applied. They then emailed me.

My new advice to people is that if you don't here anything back then don't be afraid to re-apply after a month.

Perhaps just rework the resume a little. The job was posted then immediate business needs changed and they never got round to hiring for it. They then repost and need fresh applicants not wanting to waste time on the original set who have possibly moved on.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 13th 2018 at 9:23 am.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:18 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If I had lots of money I'd get my boat seats reupholstered and maybe (excuse the pun) splash out on one of them posh 3D Structure Scan fish finders.
Wouldn't the fish finder eradicate the skill set of being an experienced fisherman?
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't the fish finder eradicate the skill set of being an experienced fisherman?
You're missing the point entirely. I actually don't like fishing, but I do like eating them and the solitude of being on the water. So catching my limit of fish and crustaceans as quickly as possible seems like a more efficient use of my time.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:45 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I favour the 5 megatonne grenade approach, never fails. Need to buy a new piece of string every time though.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:45 am
Dive Bar Drunk

You're missing the point entirely. I actually don't like fishing, but I do like eating them and the solitude of being on the water. So catching my limit of fish and crustaceans as quickly as possible seems like a more efficient use of my time.
Why not just buy your fish in the supermarket and then take them out on your boat?
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:52 am

Why not just buy your fish in the supermarket and then take them out on your boat?
Valid point. I think I'm motivated by a sense that I'm catching local fish. Plus, I rather like giving the fish heads to Mrs Chan (an older Chinese lady who came down the dock one day and asked for them) who in turn gives most of them to her friends. She brings me her homemade dumplings in exchange.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 13th 2018 at 9:54 am.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:09 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Valid point. I think I'm motivated by a sense that I'm catching local fish. Plus, I rather like giving the fish heads to Mrs Chan (an older Chinese lady who came down the dock one day and asked for them) who in turn gives most of them to her friends. She brings me her homemade dumplings in exchange.
Makes sense! Dumplings!
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:16 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

homemade dumplings in exchange
Hmm... not heard it described like that before...
Old Mar 13th 2018, 10:43 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I cut down a monster elm tree in a friend's yard, luckily dropping a big limb parallel to the neighbour's fence just as planned (helper and rope and a little shouting over the chainsaw) and the elderly Chinese lady next door gave me a thumbs-up through the verandah doorway. While working on the house I was commuting from the lake with my dog and stopping to hunt for an hour or 2 going each way, and a few times I brought her a brace of ducks, and it was a real hit. No dumplings, but she seemed very happy to get them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.