White privilege???

Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White privilege???

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would be content if I just had housing stability and long term ability to stay in one spot.

That is not possible when renting and as I work through things the biggest stressor is housing instability.
Purely based on what you've said about work over the last few months, in terms of income you seem to be doing well.

Are you doing better, financially, than when you had the apartment for about $850 I think you said it was?

Last year you were going to move to MIL's place and then you got a break is that still working out?

I can't remember who it was now but there was someone on BE - a couple - who were renting an apartment in Calgary that sounded very nice, public transport right outside and about 15 minutes walk from downtown. About $800 a month rent, including something else IIRC, if not heating, then internet maybe. I was quite astonished at that.

I know the disability money doesn't necessarily transfer, but I think there are some provinces where their version may be just as good or close enough to not matter if the upside was lower rent and stability. And even over here the lower rent and stability might compensate for the loss of disability. But maybe not the climate

The stumbling block seems to be not knowing until it's experienced.

Could you fall back on MIL if you tried and it didn't work? The next time you have to move, maybe bite the bullet and give it a go?

In our case, for some time now I've been thinking that if moving from this house became a solution to a problem then I'd take the chance and move to Ontario. Right now, for example, I have doubts that when I'm dead and gone the stepkids would be able to make the costs of remaining in this house once their capital ran out. So it might be best to move before that time comes. And why not Ontario? I'm sure that between me and them and with the likelihood of further inheritance/insurance we could buy something that while more expensive than our house, the running costs would be less.

Also my stepson really needs help/support in getting work. That sort of assistance doesn't exist in NB (unless you get some welfare and he doesn't qualify) but I believe it does in Ontario. But even if it didn't or made no difference I do think they'd be better off.

Of course we could do the same here with a smaller place.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 12th 2018 at 7:19 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I agree with this for the most part, but I do think you need a certain level of income to live a fulfilling life, otherwise you are just existing....and that is not a happy or fulfilling life.
Yes, can't remember what it's called but it's well established. Below that minimum level brings increasing dissatisfaction with life, but above that level does not necessarily bring additional happiness.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this for the most part, but I do think you need a certain level of income to live a fulfilling life, otherwise you are just existing....and that is not a happy or fulfilling life.
Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, can't remember what it's called but it's well established. Below that minimum level brings increasing dissatisfaction with life, but above that level does not necessarily bring additional happiness.
It's a valid point. I guess that's where my privilege kicks.

This was an interesting story that did the rounds a couple of years ago. The CEO decided to make the minimum wage at his firm $70,000 and also cut his own salary to the same:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/this...years-ago.html

Out of curiosity Paul are you back working now?
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't see that. A wealthy person who has an autistic child has the same problems as a poor person who has an autistic child.
But a lot better able to cope with the financial issues.
I'd rather be rich than poor but I don't think it would make sciatica, for example, less painful.
If it helped pay for the more expensive drug that did work it would be less painful.
Only some problems can be alleviated by money.
Which is better than not being able to alleviate any problem.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 7:30 pm
Oscar nominated

I agree with that one Bristol.....having read reams of my own job descriptions for the last few months, many times they make me feel as though you don't know anything about my job!

But realistically they are wish lists by that employer (that they don't often get) and also meant to scare off prospective employees who are not confident in their abilities....
I'll have to remember this if I'm ever in a hiring position.

I know how well I did my job and I know what everyone else thought about me too, especially those of the other agencies with whom I worked.

But if I didn't apply for my job because the employer was trying to put me off, then the employer would have lost me.

It's not often I blow my own trumpet but I do on this score.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

A wealthy person with a hearing loss could buy good hearing aids, quality sound systems, assistive devices, pay for captioning. If they have sciatica too they could pay for the physiotherapy and massage, buy heat pads, the prescription meds Bristol mentioned.

Being wealthy might not take away your problems but it can take the edge of them.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
A wealthy person with a hearing loss could buy good hearing aids, quality sound systems, assistive devices, pay for captioning. If they have sciatica too they could pay for the physiotherapy and massage, buy heat pads, the prescription meds Bristol mentioned.

Being wealthy might not take away your problems but it can take the edge of them.
As my old aunt used to say ‘Money can’t by you health but at least you can be sick in comfort.’
Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:23 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
So what, exactly, is 'BME'?

It's so hard to keep up with SJW terminology these days. Is there a website that lists today's politically-correct acronyms?
In the UK it's BAME, not BME - check your privilege!

We also seem to be extending in some instances - LGB seems to be morphing into LGBTQI, depending upon where you are.

There should be a central SJW database for appropriate terms, by country, so that those of us not fully WOKE can get up to speed at any one time. That said, the SJW sector wouldn't be able to rip people a new one for getting it wrong if there was a clear line (i.e. Benedict Cumberbatch)
Old Mar 12th 2018, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

And a wealthy person with mental health issues can access therapy and other services to help improve their life, money won't make the issues go away, but will help them access services that will then help improve their life.

And as Jersey says above, having money can provide you a more comforting time when ill and permit them to stay home when ill, where those with less money tend to have to go into work ill as they cannot afford to miss a day of work.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Exactly. I have read a few reports that the figure for enjoying a fulfilling life is between $60000 and $75000 a year. Beyond that doesn't add significantly to your lifestyle, and the further you dip below it, as you say there is an increasing dissatisfaction with life.

Im not sure if that was per person or as a family unit....obviously this would effect the outcome considerably.

If it were per person, I would very much agree with that, I was in the upper part of that salary range before I lost my job, as a single guy I was very happy with my life, I didn't particulary want any more than that, my lifestyle was what I wanted it to be, so in that capacity....money did bring me happiness.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 13th 2018 at 3:12 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It's a valid point. I guess that's where my privilege kicks.

This was an interesting story that did the rounds a couple of years ago. The CEO decided to make the minimum wage at his firm $70,000 and also cut his own salary to the same:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/this...years-ago.html

Out of curiosity Paul are you back working now?

Hi James, no I am still unemployed....Ei is almost done, so I have spent the last couple of weeks just looking for any job to buy me more time.

Things have picked up more recently, I have had a few leads with companies and recruiters, I am assuming as we are approaching the end of the first quarter, this is when companies are more likely to start hiring.

It has been a VERY tough few months and is not over yet, but I feel I will at least get some min wage job out of it while I carry on my search.

The worst if it is, being unemployed for that long doesn't look good to companies considering me as a candidate, I have no reason why I am in this position....my age, my location, lack of jobs compared to volume of candidates....or maybe a combination. On a side note, at one interview I was told by the employer that they had recieved over 300 applicants for that one job....I actually did well at that interview....then they pulled out, changed their minds and decided not to hire!!

I personally know how hard I have tried to address this dire situation and nothing has come to fruition yet. A handful of my friends also know how hard I have tried, however companies don't know that, so I hope I can somehow overcome that hurdle.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 3:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi James, no I am still unemployed....Ei is almost done, so I have spent the last couple of weeks just looking for any job to buy me more time.

Things have picked up more recently, I have had a few leads with companies and recruiters, I am assuming as we are approaching the end of the first quarter, this is when companies are more likely to start hiring.

It has been a VERY tough few months and is not over yet, but I feel I will at least get some min wage job out of it while I carry on my search.

The worst if it is, being unemployed for that long doesn't look good to companies considering me as a candidate, I have no reason why I am in this position....my age, my location, lack of jobs compared to volume of candidates....or maybe a combination. On a side note, at one interview I was told by the employer that they had recieved over 300 applicants for that one job....I actually did well at that interview....then they pulled out, changed their minds and decided not to hire!!

I personally know how hard I have tried to address this dire situation and nothing has come to fruition yet. A handful of my friends also know how hard I have tried, however companies don't know that, so I hope I can somehow overcome that hurdle.
Been there, done that... Paul, I really feel for you. The anxiety induced by that whole "every week that goes by puts a bigger gap in the employment history" thing can be disheartening to the point of being totally debilitating, but it sounds like you're still keeping positive which helps you present yourself better in the interviews you do secure.

Hopefully yours will be one more case that proves the old adage that perseverance pays. I lost count of the number of colleagues in jobseekers' groups who were out of work for a reasonably long period then suddenly found they had to make a choice between multiple offers as companies started hiring again.

Good luck. Hope it all comes together for you soon.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 3:30 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have been looking too since Jan and it has picked up a lot in the last couple of weeks for me as well.

A friend of mine changed career a couple of years ago because he was fed up with Telco and now works for Toyota in Cambridge on the production line. He actually makes pretty good money because he picks up the odd Saturday over time and rent is much cheaper than Toronto.

My industry is still relatively strong but check it out. He told me they always need folks. It may be no help to you but might be worth having a look:

Home - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada | TMMC Cambridge & Woodstock
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I actually have been looking too since Jan and it has picked up a lot in the last couple of weeks for me as well.

A friend of mine changed career a couple of years ago because he was fed up with Telco and now works for Toyota in Cambridge on the production line. He actually makes pretty good money because he picks up the odd Saturday over time and rent is much cheaper than Toronto.

My industry is still relatively strong but check it out. He told me they always need folks. It may be no help to you but might be worth having a look:

Home - Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada | TMMC Cambridge & Woodstock
Seems like decent pay.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Exactly. I have read a few reports that the figure for enjoying a fulfilling life is between $60000 and $75000 a year. Beyond that doesn't add significantly to your lifestyle, and the further you dip below it, as you say there is an increasing dissatisfaction with life.
This is a topic I often argue with some football fans on the Guardian blogs. It's not only footballers but it works very well there because of team mates on similar wages.

You have a player on £250k a week. A million a month. That's £12m every year they play once they get to that wage level, whereas previously they slummed it on a mere £8m a year.

Plus they get signing fees (sometimes for simply signing a new - improved - contract when their current contract still has a couple of years left) and other sponsorship deals.

Even after tax they are still multi-millionaires with more millions to come.

Then they have a team mate about to negotiate a new contract or the club signs a new player and that player will be getting £260k a week.

Now the guy on £250k isn't happy and wants £270k.

What possible difference is that paltry £10k a week (before tax) going to make to his lifestyle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.