Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Banff

Wikiposts

Where to stay in Banff

Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay in Banff

It's Lake Louise but Moraine Lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraine_Lake

BTW - Lake Louise and Moraine Lake are both located within Banff National Park. Googling Banff National Park should provide you with more than enough info!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff_National_Park

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_E.asp
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lychee
It's Lake Louise but Moraine Lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraine_Lake

BTW - Lake Louise and Moraine Lake are both located within Banff National Park. Googling Banff National Park should provide you with more than enough info!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banff_National_Park

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_E.asp
Hi,

Yes I know they are in the same park. I just didn't know how far apart from each other they were. I looked on Google Maps but nothing was displayed
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Found it now peeps!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend the Falcon Crest Lodge in Canmore as well as Castle Mountain Chalets just outside of Banff. Moraine Lake is is beautiful and I really like Bow Lake - Num-ti-Jah lodge is a cool but rustic place to stay. If your going as far as the icefields then you could stay there too - we only realised they did accomodation there a couple of months ago, so not sure what it's like.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Found it now peeps!
The road that takes you from Lake Louise village up the mountain to the lake splits some way up. Go right for Lake Louise and left for Moraine Lake.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Are these all fairly close to each other?
Moraine Lake is a 15 minute drive from Lake Louise, Peyto Lake is probably 30-40 mins from Lake Louise (I can't remember). Emerald Lake is in the opposite direction from Peyto Lake. You would automatically pass Peyto Lake if you were travelling to Jasper from Lake Louise along the Icefields Parkway.

Emerald Lake is off Highway 1 (the Trans Canada) just into B.C.

On the Icefields Parkway you will see Bow Lake on the side of the highway. There is a piccie below. You then come to Peyto Lake, the Weeping Wall, the Columbia Icefield, then Sunwapta Falls and the Athabasca Falls. All worth stopping at. There are other sites on the way, it just depends how much you wish to get out of your car.

While they are "just" lakes. You will not appreciate why people visit them until you see them with your own eyes.
Attached Thumbnails Where to stay in Banff-bow-lake-small-.jpg  
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:06 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Must do's include the hot springs and Johnston/johnsons canyon- not sure what it's like on the summer but it's amazing in the winter.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

The Best Western in Canmore is a great place to stay and reasonably priced; in addition, you can't hear the goods train which is a bonus.

We have also stayed at a B & B in Banff (The Poplar Inn) located 2 mins from the shops. I have read reviews suggesting that hotels on and around Banff Avenue can be noisy in the summer due to a lack of air con in some hotels and the need to have your window open.

Poppit
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I doubt that many tourists do anthing other than park car, walk 5 mins to lake, gasp at lake, elbow other tourists out of the way so their picture can be taken, walk back to car and drive on.
Look, I tried not to bump into everyone, but it was just so busy - bloody tourists
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your help everyone!!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:56 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

There is parking there but you have to pay for it. It is not reserved for guests so, anyone wanting to use it can do so.

There is a lake at Lake Louise and little else. There are trails but, unless you wish to take a whole day, I would move on. I doubt that many tourists do anthing other than park car, walk 5 mins to lake, gasp at lake, elbow other tourists out of the way so their picture can be taken, walk back to car and drive on.
If you've got a couple of hours or so, there is a nice hike from the side of Lake Louise up to Agnes Lake, where there is a very nice teahouse. Recommended.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:39 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Firtly if budget allows The Rimrock or As AC says Banff Springs. Otherwise anywhere on Banff Ave (really depends how long your staying if its one night does it really what the hotel/motel is like?)

We are going to visit Banff in June this year. I would like to know where the best place to stay would be?

We have looked at staying in Lake Louise but we are not sure if this is going to be the best option.

I would be grateful if anyone that has been could share their experiences and give ideas as to the things we could do whilst there.

Thanks!
LL is very nice and also has a Fairmount but again if your staying for a while you'd be bored shitless and probably penniless by the end of your stay.

Banff Springs

http://www.fairmont.com/Banffsprings/

t's the only place I have ever stayed in Banff. Not cheap, but I assume you will only stay in Banff once, so you may as well do it in style
Why do make this assumption?

The Fairmont looks amazing! Is it easy to park in the restaurant zone?

Also, is it better to just drive through Lake Louise, take a look and carry on going?

Would you suggest any 'must do's?'

Thanks for your help
Feel free to drive through the Lake but dont expect to be thanked or rescued

Originally Posted by iaink
Lake louise is nice enough, but its the nearby moraine lake thats worth the hike to (which I didnt have time to do). Either way dont you dare to just drive by! Get your arse out of the car and go check it out! I was only in Lake Louise very briefly, and took a hike up the trial to look down on it. Snow on the ground, in slippery running shoes...the 8000ft elevation really made me out of breath. Memorable though, its on the "places to go back to with more time" list.

http://www.paradiselodge.com/galhire...e%20TB_jpg.jpg
Agreed.

Peyto Lake is also great as it Emerald Lake a short drive into the Rockies.
Further agreed

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If you've got a couple of hours or so, there is a nice hike from the side of Lake Louise up to Agnes Lake, where there is a very nice teahouse. Recommended.
The Man speak wisely
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Why do make this assumption?
I thought she intended to relocate to Toronto and her trip out West was likely to be her only one.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:35 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she intended to relocate to Toronto and her trip out West was likely to be her only one.
AH, a SPECIFIC assumption
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:44 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Banff Springs

http://www.fairmont.com/Banffsprings/

t's the only place I have ever stayed in Banff. Not cheap, but I assume you will only stay in Banff once, so you may as well do it in style

We've stayed there and it was one of the worst hotels we have ever had the displeasure of staying in. Put my hubby off ever staying in a fancy hotel again. The staff were rude, and the room had no sink plug and it was dirty. We stayed at better motels on our road trip to Vancouver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.