Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Where should I live in Calgary - Answers

Where should I live in Calgary - Answers

Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should I live in Calgary - Answers

It is pretty close to the mark actually, I think Mount Royal is mostly old white rich people rather than hipsters and yuppies though. And Elbow Drive used to be old people but it's now mostly rich people.

The bit he describes as Little Italy I would say is the "hood", some of the places he's got marked down as "da hood" aren't that bad actually.

Agree on the NW though, lots of people up there who think they're well off who bought a "mountain view" of their neighbour's yard.

Last edited by Steve_; Feb 27th 2014 at 3:30 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_
It is pretty close to the mark actually, I think Mount Royal is mostly old white rich people rather than hipsters and yuppies though. And Elbow Drive used to be old people but it's now mostly rich people.
I agree, it's pretty close and Upper Mount Royal is about as close as you can get to "Old Money" in Calgary. Lower Mount Royal probably has its share of hipsters and yuppies though.

I think that a lot of the areas marked as "Old People" have actually seen significant demographic shifts in recent years - old people don't live forever after all. They are generally older neighbourhoods built in the 50s and 60s and many of the original homeowners have brought up families and then grown old in the homes. It's taking a while for perceptions to catch up with reality.

It will be interesting to watch the "old people" communities ripple out from the centre as the years pass, assuming that the next generation of old people also choose to live in their family homes into retirement. The new perception of current old people communities will probably vary, as different areas will likely draw different newcomers.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

GB1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting comments guys thanks. Does any other local have any helpful comments???
Old Feb 28th 2014, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GB1234
Interesting comments guys thanks. Does any other local have any helpful comments???
If you're going to Kensington, don't drive...take a bus or a cab
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GB1234
I think a lot of the area marked as "Still Da Hood" would be better described as working class. But even then it's a generalization. There is some crap in the NE but it's far from universal.

Also I think this map is a few years old, they're building new stuff in the NE and elsewhere constantly.

I think he's put "alcoholics" down because there always seem to be a lot of DUIs there.

The comment about Pump Hill cracked me up because I've thought that myself.

Last edited by Steve_; Mar 6th 2014 at 4:56 pm.