British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Where is the Marmite? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/where-marmite-934186/)

Pulaski Aug 9th 2020 2:11 am

Re: Where is the Marmite?

Originally Posted by IrishDigger (Post 12894314)
The old Marmite v Vegemite; I guess it's a matter of taste.:)

I bought a jar once - it tasted OKkkkaay, almost like marmite, close enough to fill the void when I didn't have any of the real thing, but I wouldn't buy it if the real thing was available.

abner Aug 9th 2020 7:31 am

Originally Posted by IrishDigger (Post 12894314)
The old Marmite v Vegemite; I guess it's a matter of taste.:)

Two different takes on adding salt to mud, and pretending either is "food".
Hard to choose. :argue:

Better to avoid both.

dbd33 Aug 9th 2020 12:24 pm

Vegemite is one of those things people, well Australians, ask you to pick up in London so I doubt it's more available here than Marmite.

scrubbedexpat134 Aug 9th 2020 9:09 pm

I spent a couple of hours yesterday visiting all the grocery stores in Kamloops (wearing a mask) looking for marmite but no joy, this is getting bad, luckily i had stocked up about a month back but it wont last long. Couldn't even find any vegimite.

Pulaski Aug 9th 2020 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 12894554)
I spent a couple of hours yesterday visiting all the grocery stores in Kamloops (wearing a mask) looking for marmite but no joy, this is getting bad, luckily i had stocked up about a month back but it wont last long. Couldn't even find any vegimite.

Maybe one day Amazon will roll out its website in Canada. :unsure:

BristolUK Aug 9th 2020 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894574)
Maybe one day Amazon will roll out its website in Canada. :unsure:

It costs too much. It's bad enough paying $4 for that tiddler of a 125g jar.

Pulaski Aug 9th 2020 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12894587)

??? :confused: I was able to buy two 500g jars of Marmite from Amazon for barely more than I paid for one small (125g ?) jar from a local grocery!

BristolUK Aug 10th 2020 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894590)
??? :confused: I was able to buy two 500g jars of Marmite from Amazon for barely more than I paid for one small (125g ?) jar from a local grocery!

Amazon US probably. There's a lot of stuff on the US site that won't deliver to Canada or does but it costs a lot.. Or, more accurately, the seller charges a lot.

Amazon Canada has a 250g pot for $32. Free delivery. As is often the way, there are sellers charging less but miraculously the delivery charges by astonishing coincidence make it the same total of $32 :lol:

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12894587)

Wait, you can buy 125g of Marmite in Canada for C$4? :confused: ..... Even Sainsbury's in the UK charges C$3.15! :nod:

125g here (NC) costs US$7.14 (C$9.50) and I paid about $10 for 250g a few years ago. The Amazon.ca prices are reasonable compared to my local NC US$ prices, but your Canadian local price seem suspiciouly low.. :unsure:

chawkins99 Aug 10th 2020 3:00 pm

I ordered a dozen 250g jars from Amazon last week for $100. Should be here today.

Usually get the 500g jars but couldn't find them for less than a major appendage.

Should last me another 6 months. :nod:

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12894842)
.... Usually get the 500g jars but couldn't find them for less than a major appendage. ......

Yeah, they stopped making those when the shortage of raw material struck in June. I don't know if they have restarted yet.

Now I want some Marmite, having not had any for probably about three years, but I don't want it enough to pay the current stupid prices.

dbd33 Aug 10th 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894839)
Wait, you can buy 125g of Marmite in Canada for C$4? :confused: ..... Even Sainsbury's in the UK charges C$3.15! :nod:

125g here (NC) costs US$7.14 (C$9.50) and I paid about $10 for 250g a few years ago. The Amazon.ca prices are reasonable compared to my local NC US$ prices, but your Canadian local price seem suspiciouly low.. :unsure:

It's a bit less than $4 here. $3.79, I think.

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12894936)
It's a bit less than $4 here. $3.79, I think.

I read that there is a Canadian licensed version, is that why it's so cheap?

dbd33 Aug 10th 2020 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894974)
I read that there is a Canadian licensed version, is that why it's so cheap?

There's no place of origin on the label. It is labelled in English and French and so intended for sale here. Usually though local variations of branded products are detectably different, Cadbury's chocolate for example, Marmite tastes the same. I'd guess that it's bulk transported and bottled (jarred?) here. Imagine, on the high seas there may be tanker ships filled with Marmite, it's a good thing it's only oil tankers that sink.

Teaandtoday5 Aug 10th 2020 8:01 pm

Not quite the real thing