British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Where is the Marmite? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/where-marmite-934186/)

jimf Aug 6th 2020 3:32 am

Where is the Marmite?

The local supermarkets in Calgary (CO-OP, Safeway, Superstore and Walmart) haven't had Marmite in stock for weeks. Covid interrupted supply chain or something else going on?

ann m Aug 6th 2020 5:23 am

Re: Where is the Marmite?

Yep, we have noticed the same thing, think I’m going to have to ask Our man at Safeway’s in Cochrane if I see him. He always has answers to the Marmite supply!

Anyone else noticed that there is no longer caffeine free Diet Coke anymore? I kinda guessed they stopped making it. I mean, it’s chemically crap but I love it.

dbd33 Aug 6th 2020 10:58 am

Marmite is an issue here too. Luckily, while other people were hauling away truck loads of bog roll, I went for the black spread.

mikelincs Aug 6th 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12893071)
The local supermarkets in Calgary (CO-OP, Safeway, Superstore and Walmart) haven't had Marmite in stock for weeks. Covid interrupted supply chain or something else going on?

Yes, blame Covid, Marmite is made from yeast, byproduct of the brewing industry, with pubs closed sales of beer have plummeted and so yeast prosuction has been hit less yeast less for the Marmite, Bovril etc makers.

Atlantic Xpat Aug 6th 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12893241)
Yes, blame Covid, Marmite is made from yeast, byproduct of the brewing industry, with pubs closed sales of beer have plummeted and so yeast prosuction has been hit less yeast less for the Marmite, Bovril etc makers.

Errk! I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense. I recall listening to a radio 4 prog a month or two ago saying that there were something like 8 million pints in shuttered pubs that needed disposing of. For the brewers the issue was that they pay duty at source so had paid duty on the pints and needed to recover if the beer was destroyed. Since retrieving barrels of beer is a two person job (drayman + assistant) at that time lock down rules made it impossible.

We have some marmite reserves (I used to buy it everytime I went to UK & that was, precovid several times a year) but I might see if the local Loblaws has some and buy as a precaution!

BristolUK Aug 6th 2020 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12893241)

Yes, I recall reading something like that but I hoped it wouldn't affect us over here on the basis it would affect stocks well into the future.

I can't really tell if it's in short supply here as I'm not in the stores that sell it. The Instacart shoppers don't know what it is. One of them did and bought me a pot (after I emphasised it might be top shelf and out of sight) and that made me less inclined to believe they really had sold out all the other times especially as now it is actually coming up as out of stock on the ordering page.

Pulaski Aug 6th 2020 1:30 pm

The BBC reported in June was that things would "soon be back to normal". Perhaps the shipping time for sending bulk groceries across the Atlantic has meant the Marmite famine has not yet been relieved in Canada. :unsure:

Siouxie Aug 6th 2020 4:04 pm

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=marmite+yeast+extract&i=grocery&crid=19MR6I0UDP011&sprefix=marmite+ye%2Cgrocery%2C168&ref=nb_sb_ss_ac-a-p_1_10 in stock - even in 600g tubs! and 2-4 packs of 250g jars - or a 400g squeezy - and even individual portions (as well as the normal size) :D

Pulaski Aug 6th 2020 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12893344)
Amazon have it in stock - even in 600g tubs! and 2-4 packs of 250g jars - or a 400g squeezy - and even individual portions (as well as the normal size) :D

Tubs are a heresy, and "squeezy" is just an abomination. :frown:

If it's not in a very dark brown, round glass jar, it isn't marmite! :nod:

Siouxie Aug 6th 2020 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12893355)
Tubs are a heresy, and "squeezy" is just an abomination. :frown:

If it's not in a very dark brown, round glass jar, it isn't marmite! :nod:

I have to agree.. the perfection personified is that jar indeed..... but needs must if there's no alternative - perhaps buy a tub and refill all the little marmite jars you have saved :D (ok, not everyone saves the jars to obtain that last little bit by swishing boiling water around and using it to add extra flavour to the home made french onion soup, I realise this :D )

Pulaski Aug 6th 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12893357)
I have to agree.. the perfection personified is that jar indeed..... but needs must if there's no alternative - ....

OK, I can agree with that - desperate times* need deperate measures. :nod:

* Of course I'm talking about the Marmite famine, not that silly little coronavirus pandemic! :rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 6th 2020 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 12893093)
Yep, we have noticed the same thing, think I’m going to have to ask Our man at Safeway’s in Cochrane if I see him. He always has answers to the Marmite supply!

Anyone else noticed that there is no longer caffeine free Diet Coke anymore? I kinda guessed they stopped making it. I mean, it’s chemically crap but I love it.

There are a couple issues soda companies are running into which is reducing supply and their ability to manufacture their entire product line.

https://www.khou.com/article/money/c...f-e9be8554c138

Not just soda makers either facing this challenge, add to it earlier in the year there was also a shortage of artificial sweeteners due to supply chain issues.

And there was a shortage of food grade CO2 for a bit this year but that seems to be easing up and may no longer be an issue.

IrishDigger Aug 8th 2020 6:12 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12893071)

Have you tried Vegemite?

mikelincs Aug 8th 2020 6:15 am

Originally Posted by IrishDigger (Post 12894004)
Have you tried Vegemite?

Yes..:sick:

IrishDigger Aug 9th 2020 2:02 am

Originally Posted by IrishDigger (Post 12894004)
Have you tried Vegemite?

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12894006)
Yes..:sick:

The old Marmite v Vegemite; I guess it's a matter of taste.:)

Pulaski Aug 9th 2020 2:11 am

Originally Posted by IrishDigger (Post 12894314)

I bought a jar once - it tasted OKkkkaay, almost like marmite, close enough to fill the void when I didn't have any of the real thing, but I wouldn't buy it if the real thing was available.

abner Aug 9th 2020 7:31 am

Originally Posted by IrishDigger (Post 12894314)

Two different takes on adding salt to mud, and pretending either is "food".
Hard to choose. :argue:

Better to avoid both.

dbd33 Aug 9th 2020 12:24 pm

Vegemite is one of those things people, well Australians, ask you to pick up in London so I doubt it's more available here than Marmite.

scrubbedexpat134 Aug 9th 2020 9:09 pm

I spent a couple of hours yesterday visiting all the grocery stores in Kamloops (wearing a mask) looking for marmite but no joy, this is getting bad, luckily i had stocked up about a month back but it wont last long. Couldn't even find any vegimite.

Pulaski Aug 9th 2020 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 12894554)
I spent a couple of hours yesterday visiting all the grocery stores in Kamloops (wearing a mask) looking for marmite but no joy, this is getting bad, luckily i had stocked up about a month back but it wont last long. Couldn't even find any vegimite.

Maybe one day Amazon will roll out its website in Canada. :unsure:

BristolUK Aug 9th 2020 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894574)
Maybe one day Amazon will roll out its website in Canada. :unsure:

It costs too much. It's bad enough paying $4 for that tiddler of a 125g jar.

Pulaski Aug 9th 2020 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12894587)

??? :confused: I was able to buy two 500g jars of Marmite from Amazon for barely more than I paid for one small (125g ?) jar from a local grocery!

BristolUK Aug 10th 2020 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894590)
??? :confused: I was able to buy two 500g jars of Marmite from Amazon for barely more than I paid for one small (125g ?) jar from a local grocery!

Amazon US probably. There's a lot of stuff on the US site that won't deliver to Canada or does but it costs a lot.. Or, more accurately, the seller charges a lot.

Amazon Canada has a 250g pot for $32. Free delivery. As is often the way, there are sellers charging less but miraculously the delivery charges by astonishing coincidence make it the same total of $32 :lol:

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12894587)

Wait, you can buy 125g of Marmite in Canada for C$4? :confused: ..... Even Sainsbury's in the UK charges C$3.15! :nod:

125g here (NC) costs US$7.14 (C$9.50) and I paid about $10 for 250g a few years ago. The Amazon.ca prices are reasonable compared to my local NC US$ prices, but your Canadian local price seem suspiciouly low.. :unsure:

chawkins99 Aug 10th 2020 3:00 pm

I ordered a dozen 250g jars from Amazon last week for $100. Should be here today.

Usually get the 500g jars but couldn't find them for less than a major appendage.

Should last me another 6 months. :nod:

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12894842)
.... Usually get the 500g jars but couldn't find them for less than a major appendage. ......

Yeah, they stopped making those when the shortage of raw material struck in June. I don't know if they have restarted yet.

Now I want some Marmite, having not had any for probably about three years, but I don't want it enough to pay the current stupid prices.

dbd33 Aug 10th 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894839)
Wait, you can buy 125g of Marmite in Canada for C$4? :confused: ..... Even Sainsbury's in the UK charges C$3.15! :nod:

125g here (NC) costs US$7.14 (C$9.50) and I paid about $10 for 250g a few years ago. The Amazon.ca prices are reasonable compared to my local NC US$ prices, but your Canadian local price seem suspiciouly low.. :unsure:

It's a bit less than $4 here. $3.79, I think.

Pulaski Aug 10th 2020 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12894936)
It's a bit less than $4 here. $3.79, I think.

I read that there is a Canadian licensed version, is that why it's so cheap?

dbd33 Aug 10th 2020 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894974)
I read that there is a Canadian licensed version, is that why it's so cheap?

There's no place of origin on the label. It is labelled in English and French and so intended for sale here. Usually though local variations of branded products are detectably different, Cadbury's chocolate for example, Marmite tastes the same. I'd guess that it's bulk transported and bottled (jarred?) here. Imagine, on the high seas there may be tanker ships filled with Marmite, it's a good thing it's only oil tankers that sink.

Teaandtoday5 Aug 10th 2020 8:01 pm

Not quite the real thing

dbd33 Aug 10th 2020 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12894994)

'“In Canada it is perfectly legal to acquire a firearm and bullets. But Marmite and Irn-Bru are apparently a threat to the nation’s health.”'

In a display of cultural blending I use my firearm and bullets to shoot imported beverage product containers.

BristolUK Aug 10th 2020 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12894839)

But why even buy a 125g jar for £1.80 when you can buy a 250g for £2.90 or, better still, 500g for £4.75?

That 500g size is equal to just under £1.20 for 125g or $2.10. That's the difference.

We don't have the opportunity for the more economical jar.
500g jar currently unavailable, granted, but that's just temporary but $5 for 250g is still good.

Teaandtoday5 Aug 11th 2020 12:24 am

Thank god for this thread. In the midst of a pandemic, corrupt elections, and all sorts of ancillary horrors some people are able to retain their priorities. :thumbsup:

Atlantic Xpat Aug 11th 2020 12:31 pm

"He just smiled and handed me a Vegemite sandwich..."

Vegemite is no substitute for Marmite. Similarly TimTams (which are available here) and my Australian colleagues rave about are no substitute for p-p-p-p-picking up a penguin. :-)

BristolUK Aug 11th 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12895236)
...TimTams (which are available here) and my Australian colleagues rave about are no substitute for p-p-p-p-picking up a penguin. :-)

Interesting. I've seen TimTams and it never occurred to me they might be like Penguins. I shall put a pack on the next Instacart order. Might be better than no Penguin

caretaker Aug 11th 2020 2:36 pm

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...1423320e65.jpg

Siouxie Aug 11th 2020 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12895236)
"He just smiled and handed me a Vegemite sandwich..."

Vegemite is no substitute for Marmite. Similarly TimTams (which are available here) and my Australian colleagues rave about are no substitute for p-p-p-p-picking up a penguin. :-)

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12895275)
Interesting. I've seen TimTams and it never occurred to me they might be like Penguins. I shall put a pack on the next Instacart order. Might be better than no Penguin

Haven't tried Amazon yet then? :p

https://www.amazon.ca/McVities-Penguin-Milk-Chocolate-Pack/dp/B000VJFCKI

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...1c9674992f.jpg

BristolUK Aug 11th 2020 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12895375)

Not at $37 a pack (including delivery) no. :lol:

I've certainly had some since being here. Can't remember if it was from Bulk Barn or a bit of home in Toronto.

Now Topic bars I have paid that bit more for. But not too much more.

I'd pay a bit more for these too.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...5f9f2cb11f.jpg
They only seem to have orange ones here

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...8641d8948b.jpg

But not $23 for two tubes.

Former Lancastrian Aug 11th 2020 6:16 pm

Simple solution is get relatives/friends in the UK to send shit over if Amazon or other stores charge too much. Even Walmart (not all stores) sell Penguin biscuits and other UK stuff but they come at a cost. Save On Foods even have Tesco products in their stores.

BristolUK Aug 11th 2020 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12895421)
Simple solution is get relatives/friends in the UK to send shit over if Amazon or other stores charge too much. Even Walmart (not all stores) sell Penguin biscuits and other UK stuff but they come at a cost. Save On Foods even have Tesco products in their stores.

I've not seen Penguins in ours even though they have plenty of other things. If it's in one of the supermarkets I find the price difference to be insignificant compared to some of the differences for the same product but different brand for other items.