Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a laptop?

Where to buy a laptop?

Old Mar 10th 2020, 12:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a laptop?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
All well and good provided you have $1200 spare to spend on a laptop! Some of us mere mortals have less than half that amount to spend.. and may have other slightly more important things to pay out for.
We paid half of that...and we got a pretty bog standard lap top with as many bells and whistles as were there at the week of purchase. It does what we ask it to. Whatever you buy today is outdated by tomorrow, so buy what’s best for your needs today...
Old Mar 10th 2020, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

catweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond reputecatweazle has a reputation beyond repute

I never ever buy new. Lots of big corporations view a fancy laptop as a corporate benefit. Every year (or two) they replace everything, and dump the used laptops onto the second-hand market. Supply and demand. Used prices are very low for what is basically nearly new. Especially around Toronto.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 5:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

All well and good provided you have $1200 spare to spend on a laptop! Some of us mere mortals have less than half that amount to spend.. and may have other slightly more important things to pay out for.
Originally Posted by MillieF
We paid half of that...and we got a pretty bog standard lap top with as many bells and whistles as were there at the week of purchase. It does what we ask it to. Whatever you buy today is outdated by tomorrow, so buy what’s best for your needs today...
Sounds like you got a good deal if you got one for under $300 - but depends on how basic you go, I suppose.. and what you need it for... and the size of your screen
https://www.costco.ca/laptops.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 10th 2020 at 5:50 am.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 2:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you got a good deal if you got one for under $300 - but depends on how basic you go, I suppose.. and what you need it for... and the size of your screen
I had a good look over the ones on Costco yesterday. It certainly seems they're a good choice for machines over $1000 compared to Staples, Best Buy, The Source etc for new. Sometimes BestBuy looked a better deal but you'd need to add another $150-$190 to get the second year warranty that Costco includes.

Having said that, BestBuy always has a few $150 to $200 off. Right now they have a couple of Acers that match the specs of an $1100 Acer on Costco.

One is $930 down to $700 - actually that one has a bigger SSD - and $160 would give the second year warranty, making it $860. The saving of $240 seems worth it.

There's another which is $550 if you don't mind 'open box' (same warranty) and $690 would include the second year warranty, saving $410.

Generally takes about an hour to compare a few laptops using the Passmark site and a couple of other review sites. That's well worth a few hundred saved. That's like Lawyer's money. Or someone in IT.

My conclusion is that Costco are probably better for $1200 and up but if below $1000 meets your needs (they certainly do for mine) then there are better/cheaper options than those on Costco.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 10th 2020 at 3:01 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I had a good look over the ones on Costco yesterday. It certainly seems they're a good choice for machines over $1000 compared to Staples, Best Buy, The Source etc for new. Sometimes BestBuy looked a better deal but you'd need to add another $150-$190 to get the second year warranty that Costco includes.

Having said that, BestBuy always has a few $150 to $200 off. Right now they have a couple of Acers that match the specs of an $1100 Acer on Costco.

One is $930 down to $700 - actually that one has a bigger SSD - and $160 would give the second year warranty, making it $860. The saving of $240 seems worth it.

There's another which is $550 if you don't mind 'open box' (same warranty) and $690 would include the second year warranty, saving $410.

Generally takes about an hour to compare a few laptops using the Passmark site and a couple of other review sites. That's well worth a few hundred saved. That's like Lawyer's money. Or someone in IT.

My conclusion is that Costco are probably better for $1200 and up but if below $1000 meets your needs (they certainly do for mine) then there are better/cheaper options than those on Costco.
You have spent more time on this than I did researching and acquiring my commuter car; never mind the laptops.

Old Mar 10th 2020, 3:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You have spent more time on this than I did researching and acquiring my commuter car; never mind the laptops.
Like I said, about an hour. (I actually spent more time on wording the post )

I wouldn't even research cars. I know nothing about them other than four wheels, usually.

I'd pick one I liked the colour of most likely.