Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When and Why do you BE?

When and Why do you BE?

Old Dec 27th 2013, 3:53 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When and Why do you BE?

I joined when I was in the process of moving, but I had already sorted out most of my questions. I was at one time quite a prolific poster. I enjoyed researching and helping others with their own questions. My user name was Morwenna originally.

As time went on I found my knowledge was somewhat out of date as regards immigration, and loads of new people to answer all the questions, so I confined myself mainly to this board. I have to admit I get put off by back-biting and bitchiness, and for a while that seemed prevalent. I see it still goes on, which makes me sad. I am pretty much "live and let live", but I guess some people enjoy "a good fight" ......

I was posting pretty infrequently by the time I was diagnosed with cancer, 14 months or so ago, so I was most surprised at the outpouring of support from everybody here when I first came on to have a moan! And the generous spirit of so many of you.

I have met a few of you in real life too, which has been a pleasure. Now I lurk maybe a few times a week, or less, and post sporadically at best.

Happy New Year youall!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Like a few others on here, I don't really know how I found out about the site or why I joined, I just did. I'm not even British! I'm a homesick Maltese teen living in Canada... I come on pretty much every day or every other day depending on how much useless schoolwork I have to do! I help out in the Malta forum and mainly post there too, but I occasionally post in the Canada forum, both Maple Leaf and the Immigration forum, but mainly I just have a chuckle at the Maple Leaf...

Cheers!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Joined to keep up to date with all the ins and outs of the IEC (I had just missed out on the 2012 lot closing). Have continued to visit in order to help others with it. And I'll visit the forums at least until I'm ready to apply for spousal sponsorship. I definitely know I'm gonna need help for that!
Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I joined to ask Andrew Miller a question. Which he answered perfectly - what a gent.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 7:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I joined to ask Andrew Miller a question. Which he answered perfectly - what a gent.
Ditto.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:38 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I joined some years ago, after mooching around on the internet and happening on the BE website! It was a brilliant source of information when we moved, now I tend to post in spells when the mood takes me.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 12:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Can't recall why I joined, probably to ask some kind of sensible question, before wandering in to The Maple Leaf and getting drawn in to some long winded conversations. I enjoy the banter and humour and sometimes learn a thing or two too.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 12:35 am
Just Joined

crabbygit is an unknown quantity at this point

I stumbled upon the BE in Jan 2010 I joined to respond to a post regarding credit cards (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=647896&page=9 this thread was later closed). I made a couple of posts on that thread then lost my password and put the issue aside with the intention to retrieve password, got busy and forgot all about until I stumbled on the site again about two or three weeks ago.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 12:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've been a long term internet poster, the dbd33 id dates from 1999/2000, sometime around then.
So now that the DBD bit has been explained (to UR if memory serves) and we know that you're (ahem) 33 (Novo's comment) what about the avatar? Is that you or is that Al Pacino? Is the dark figure on the left a dog or an alien?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
So now that the DBD bit has been explained (to UR if memory serves) and we know that you're (ahem) 33 (Novo's comment) what about the avatar? Is that you or is that Al Pacino? Is the dark figure on the left a dog or an alien?
33 was just a free number for an email address at hotmail, the gmail of its day. I still have the address.

The man in the avatar is Harry H. Corbett OBE, one of the stars of Steptoe and Son. I adopted it after some posters here remarked on my likeness, physically or vocally I'm not sure, to Mr. Corbett. I believe this likening to famous people results from a poster, I2C, remarking, upon seeing Souvy for the first time, "OMG, It's Stevens!". Well, fair enough, Souvy is the dead spit of Anthony Hopkins in that role. I, however, sahnd nuffink like either Steptoe.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:28 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

came here out of curiosity from the other liked name BE forum (without the 's' at the end of BE). Looking in passes the time when there isn't much else to do
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:42 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I came here in August of 2006, my wife had been a member before me, and I had lurked for a while but had very little to contribute.

After I became a Realtor I had more to contribute, but i tired of always having to justify my existence and the continual attacks eventually wore me down, and so I contributed less and less.

I usually look at the site every day, but rarely post now.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
So now that the DBD bit has been explained (to UR if memory serves) and we know that you're (ahem) 33 (Novo's comment) what about the avatar?
As I have previously told dbd33 in real life, back in the civilized days of the Graun Talk I had also assumed that he had chosen 33 in connection with his age.

I was wrong.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

33 was just a free number for an email address at hotmail, the gmail of its day. I still have the address.

The man in the avatar is Harry H. Corbett OBE, one of the stars of Steptoe and Son. I adopted it after some posters here remarked on my likeness, physically or vocally I'm not sure, to Mr. Corbett. I believe this likening to famous people results from a poster, I2C, remarking, upon seeing Souvy for the first time, "OMG, It's Stevens!". Well, fair enough, Souvy is the dead spit of Anthony Hopkins in that role. I, however, sahnd nuffink like either Steptoe.
Both.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Steptoes look like they smell. I see you more as a Tim Roth, maybe s Cal Lightman.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.