Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When parent's visit....

When parent's visit....

Old Oct 29th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When parent's visit....

Originally Posted by R I C H
Our toilet has 2 flush options - one delivers 3.5l, the other 6l. I feel like a freak now
I know the water-efficient toilets exist, but we don't have one, and they don't work the way he described anyway. He has a tendency to make stuff up and spout it gospel truth. He told MIL that they no longer use trains for transporting goods around Ontario/Canada because diesel fuel is cheaper, so they use trucks now instead. Since Milton (where we live) is criss-crossed by numerous train tracks carrying GO trains and goods trains throughout the day, I couldn't figure out where this was coming from. When we pointed this out to him, his response was "well, I haven't seen any, so I must be right". Can't really argue with that attitude. :curse:
Old Oct 29th 2007, 9:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If the Wiki section permitted jokes, I would use this thread as the basis for an article on what not to do when you visit your kids and kids-in-law.

Cov-canuck, you have my every sympathy.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I know the water-efficient toilets exist, but we don't have one, and they don't work the way he described anyway. He has a tendency to make stuff up and spout it gospel truth. He told MIL that they no longer use trains for transporting goods around Ontario/Canada because diesel fuel is cheaper, so they use trucks now instead. Since Milton (where we live) is criss-crossed by numerous train tracks carrying GO trains and goods trains throughout the day, I couldn't figure out where this was coming from. When we pointed this out to him, his response was "well, I haven't seen any, so I must be right". Can't really argue with that attitude. :curse:
You have my sympathies, the man sounds like a complete jackass.

You should have also asked him what he thinks the trains run on if not diesel.

Regarding the toilet paper issue did your MIL ever ask him what he was doing with his toilet paper if he wasn't flushing it?

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
My own dear ma ma came to visit about 5 weeks ago. Talk about Hell on Earth (with her as the avatar of Satan).

She complained about the heat and then about the cold. She didn't want to go out of the house unless it was to visit another bloody Dollar store.

She managed to miss the Train from Windsor to Guelph (on a return trip from Michigan) and I had to meet my cousin in London, on a Friday evening, having driven down that suicide strip known as the 401 to pick her up. She then demanded a refund from VIA rail...and you know what - she got it!!!!!!!!

She left her cardigan in Michigan and my cousin posted it to me. Of course it arrived after she had left so I had to post it to the UK. So almost $30 later, she gets her cardie (which probably only cost 20 pounds).

The list goes on but I live with the solace that 3500 miles of land and ocean now separate us.
MY mum was here at the same time, they could have flown together and swapped tactics!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
MY mum was here at the same time, they could have flown together and swapped tactics!
Heh heh. Perhaps we should arrange get togethers not only for ourselves but also for our parents and parents-in-law.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

What sad situations some are in with their parents- perhaps part of the reason to leave the UK.

Can't ever be not grateful for our parents' visits but sadly none of them are available now to help. We had fences, patios, decks and drives built, gardening done, interior and exterior houses painted, curtains and blinds made, children's clothes sewn and a freezer full of cooked food left for us whenever they all returned to the UK. We had fulltime housekeepers, gardeners, handymen and live-in nannies for the 12 weeks or so that we had them visiting us. I was grateful for any help back then- couldn't afford the workers- and it was a very sad year when the visits ceased.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Very stressful when my non-skiing parents visited in February. What is there to do in Vancouver in Feb other than ski? I worked VERY hard finding out. We wondered if it was deliberate so they could have a bad time and then hate Vancouver for taking their daughter away from them. But all my hard work paid off and they had a fab time, but not so fab that they want to move over we hope.

Then the in-laws in March. Bit better as they ski and we got them surfing as well. Still very hard work all round. I have southern accent, FIL has Lancashire and I'm sure he makes it stronger so I don't understand him.

Next year in-laws still not decided if visiting. My parents are doing a 17 tour across Canada - Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Calgary, Rockies, Oakanagan, Vancouver, with 3 days added on.

So they will think they've had a 3 week holiday with us in Vancouver, whereas we've only had to put up with them for 5 days - PHEW.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We've found a few potential grandparents substitutes for the Little Live to Skies (when they come along). Ironically some of their children and hence grandchildren moved to the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Heh heh. Perhaps we should arrange get togethers not only for ourselves but also for our parents and parents-in-law.
like they do for relatives of alcoholics anonymous??
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:04 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by minihaha
I have a whole week of cleaning from top to bottom just so I can have a larf when she insist's on cleaning something that has already been done haha.
I would go about that in the exact opposite way. I'd just make sure I had a good stash of cleaning stuff, perhaps even a 'to do' list and let her go for it. I'd even smudge up all my windows just ensure they get cleaned too.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: When parent's visit....

That is a point of concern for me - not quiet there yet -BUT
Both Mum and MIL will come for at least 4 weeks (never together) and expect to be waited on hand and foot.....Oh joy.
Really looking forward to that - hubby will be at work.
I think that this is the downside of moving!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I would go about that in the exact opposite way. I'd just make sure I had a good stash of cleaning stuff, perhaps even a 'to do' list and let her go for it. I'd even smudge up all my windows just ensure they get cleaned too.
You and me both, why DIY when someone else wants to do it for you Unfortunatly my mother would never think about cleaning when she visited

Sharon
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Did you say a bad, or post in the wrong thread?
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Did you say a bad, or post in the wrong thread?
It posted twice for some reason

[could be user error but will never admit it]
Old Oct 31st 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
It posted twice for some reason

[could be user error but will never admit it]
P E B K A S

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Seat (IT help desk humour)

Last edited by Rob4BC; Oct 31st 2007 at 2:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.