Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When is a life sentence NOT a life sentence?

When is a life sentence NOT a life sentence?

Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When is a life sentence NOT a life sentence?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Semantics.
So the whole life sentence is OK just the fact of there being no review is going to far (roughly translated as being wrong).
Perhaps in the Daily Mail splutterers vernacular, where black & white rule, that might be correct.

Actually at this moment in time I have nothing else better to splutter about unless you have any views on the impending Harper cabinet shuffle and trying to predict who my new boss will be now that Vic Toews has resigned.
We could also discuss this Govts perceived crackdowns on Public Service unions and collective bargaining and forced vote on some members of PSAC.
Au revoir mon ami.
Well I didn't vote for them. Vic Toews has resigned? I'll have to go a-googling.

Perceived crackdowns? Is that like perceived idiocy and perceived reactionary dogma?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I thought he was already out (notwithstanding his previous release and reincarceration).
Hence my wondering if his new identity was as FL's boss.

For me, and I suppose others, he strains the idea of the possibility of redemption.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hence my wondering if his new identity was as FL's boss.

For me, and I suppose others, he strains the idea of the possibility of redemption.
I apologize, I missed that. 10 feet over my head and all that
Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Jon Venables?
He was never given a whole life sentence so was eligible to apply for parole and be released as he was a young offender. I believe he is now on his 4th identity in order to protect him.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
He was never given a whole life sentence so was eligible to apply for parole and be released as he was a young offender. I believe he is now on his 4th identity in order to protect him.
Recently LBC did a show about why the public generally feels greater outrage toward children who kill, when in fact in every other facet of child misbehaviour or criminality, the child is generally seen as a victim and to be less accountable for his actions. I suppose it partially depends on where one draws the line on childhood.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Recently LBC did a show about why the public generally feels greater outrage toward children who kill, when in fact in every other facet of child misbehaviour or criminality, the child is generally seen as a victim and to be less accountable for his actions. I suppose it partially depends on where one draws the line on childhood.
Doli incapax
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Doli incapax
Yes. thanks, didn't know the term for it. Moved from 8 to 10 in 1963.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Isn't this the same court that ruled it was OK to discriminate against British pensioners living abroad? That's provided you are living in the commonwealth but not in the EU.
Most decision made by this court have been odd, to say the least. They seem quite happy to frown on legitimate sentences. However, their sister court in the Hague is equally happy doling out life sentences to those involved in the Balkans conflicts. As I said, odd.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandylns
Isn't this the same court that ruled it was OK to discriminate against British pensioners living abroad? That's provided you are living in the commonwealth but not in the EU.
Most decision made by this court have been odd, to say the least. They seem quite happy to frown on legitimate sentences. However, their sister court in the Hague is equally happy doling out life sentences to those involved in the Balkans conflicts. As I said, odd.
Why don't you start a petition about this?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Petitions have been tried. You can get any amount of commitment from UK politicos provided they are in opposition. Once they form the government it becomes a different story.
www.britishpensions.com has the full story. Including its fight with this court.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoosh!