Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When Fake news goes wrong

When Fake news goes wrong

Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:05 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default When Fake news goes wrong

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...lice-1.3759910

Toronto police say an incident involving an 11-year-old girl who claimed to have her hijab cut by a stranger on the street, "did not happen."

Oh My !!! Why ?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Fake news goes wrong

Last summer, a young woman (named) reported to police that a man tried to grab her while she was out on a walking trail one morning.

I heard her being interviewed on CBC local radio. It came across as a warning to other women.

Soon after, it was announced that she was being charged with mischief and a series of court appearances created the impression she was stringing things along, saying no lawyer yet at each and every court appearance. Suddenly charges were dropped with "new information" but nobody says what.

Do people now need to be careful again because the police now think there was someone? Have they discovered something to suggest a mental health issue - and why didn't that emerge 6 months ago?

Quite likely everyone probably thinks she's got some MH issue - there's probably a name for it - and maybe there's a case for more information given the publicity of the last 6 months.

I think more info is needed on the alleged scissor attack. Has the brother been less than 100% in backing up his sister? A lack of CCTV? The cuts (if there are any) not matching an approach from behind?

Maybe those that need to know - neighbours, the school, family etc - do know - and the rest of us don't need to know - as much as it would be nice.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What disturbs me is the way everybody jumped on this story especially when you look at the subject matter.
I was disturbed that a 11 yr old girl was targeted because of what she was wearing which has been the discussion of several pieces of legislation. How could anybody target a young girl walking to school regardless of what she was wearing or the colour of her skin etc etc.

I hope this doesn't become a trend to inflame more ammunition for the far right to comment on. Will purported racial attacks be looked at more closely and scrutinized as to did it or did it not happen?

I just hope it was a childish prank gone wrong and thats it so lets move on.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:20 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are she ripped it playing and made up a story to get out of trouble, I can’t see a 11 year old having hate crime in her.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Chances are she ripped it playing and made up a story to get out of trouble, I can’t see a 11 year old having hate crime in her.
No she probably wouldn't however the sometimes perceived left leaning biased media and left leaning politicians et al were very quick to jump to conclusions based on this story and Islamaphobia raising its ugly head again.

I guess all those involved who were quick to condemn will be issuing their apologies on the same media outlets later today or tomorrow.

Lets hope this is a one off and perhaps might educate all 11 yr olds that telling porkies can get you into trouble.

A couple of more stories where the subject matter was not as reported
No, Calgary is not losing 7,000 businesses a year, despite what you've heard | CBC News

Toronto Police staffing issues not as bad as reported
'Absolutely wrong' to suggest police staffing issues endangering public, chief says - Toronto - CBC News

Taken from an article regarding the Phoenix pay system debacle which was supposed and promised to be fixed by the Minister responsible at the time

The government witness directed the blame at public service workers themselves and compensation workers at Miramchi for not inputting information correctly.

“It was disheartening to hear government witnesses testify that there are no “real” Phoenix problems, and that rank–and-file workers are to blame for any pay problems,” said Robyn Benson, PSAC’s National President.

“What they have done is blame everybody else for this pay debacle except for the department that’s responsible for paying the employees,” said Chris Aylward, PSAC National Executive Vice President.

While fake news can be funny and have no real consequences there just might be the odd time when it does.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 6:18 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
left leaning biased media and left leaning politicians et al were very quick to jump to conclusions.......
In addition to sex, it's fear that makes the world go around and politicians and the news media prey on our fears. Concensus politics makes sense but when did politicians last claim to be sensible? And the media, when was no news last not reported in the media. It's clearly been in the interests of those who lust for power to castigate and fabricate enemies where few exist because it's in their interests so to do and the media, both left and right, co-operate and even encourage this because it sells, it makes money, it keeps the rest of us guessing and some of us to ask the question "Is what I'm being told true?".

Unfortunately we're well past where the political road forked and for whatever reason, the 'thinking' public no longer thinks for itself. Those on the right will seek right leaning news and vice versa, it's self fulfilling and leads to paranoia. Those on the right fear left leaning news and those on the left likewise and both fear the world outside their small town.

When I look back at old newspapers, what strikes me is that they are full of facts, full of details about what happened and this at a time when to gather facts you had to actually talk to people, no internet, no TV etc and yet, even then, the public were fed tales of the hun eating belgian babies, mutilating nuns and crucifying soldiers... and no doubt many believed it.

All media has an agenda and we as thinking individuals should be wary of ascribing truth to anything we are told because if we don't then we end up electing idiots and toadies to make policy. 'No change there then' I hear you say.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I was quite astounded last week about two petitions that were circulating in Calgary. I know it's supposed to be a right-wing hotbed of intolerance over here but that's not necessarily what I see on a personal basis.

The first petition was raised against a nudist group having a private function at a (city) pool. I think some 26,000 people signed against this 'pedophile friendly' event - and it ended up having to be cancelled on security grounds because the great Calgarian public were going to note down license plates and generally get violent or launch social media harassment against anyone that attended. F*** me - the rest of the world manages to have nudist events without incident - but the Comments sections in the news outlets were vicious and amazingly uneducated. Nudity equals sex, all the time.

The second petition last week was against the University of Calgary. A student had been convicted to 3 months jail time for 'interfering with a 13 year old'. It appears some photos were exchanged and he threatened to show her parents - much more than that I am not sure. Anyway, it went to court, he was found guilty and charged. The Judge said he could finish his semester then go to jail after. None of this happened when he was a University student, and none of this happened in Calgary.

Enter 56,000 frothing Calgarians to sign the petition calling for the University to expel the student. On what grounds? "We don't like what the Judge said so we're going target the University."

I'm sure there are hundreds of criminals walking the campus as we speak - assaulters and thieves and drink-drivers and any number of offenders. And yes, probably some others on a sex-offenders register.

'Mob rule' rules. He likely won't re-attend the Uni now anyway because someone will beat the shit out of him. I don't support him or what he has done but the Court heard all the evidence and did it's part. Petition the bloody Judge if you don't like it. Again, read the Comments section on the media sites and the level of fake and uneducated fringe ideas is phenomenal

And breathe. I fear for our sanity sometimes. In the meantime, I would like those 70,000+ galvanized, petition-loving folks to go and sign a petition that a local Cochrane mum is trying to get to the House of Commons to push for mandatory sentences for those drink-drivers that kill people. Now that's something I can get behind.