Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what's wrong with you lot?

what's wrong with you lot?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: what's wrong with you lot?

Originally Posted by iaink
It was not PERSONAL, and no one saw fit to report it... I didnt take offence at it, although I did observe that no good would come of it. Somehow I suspect if the mods had dissapeared it then there would have been far more wringing of hands anyway. Damned if we do , damned if we dont.

Anyway, there has been more than enough discussion of moderation on this thread, if you lot want to defend yourselves from the scurrilous accusations against you go ahead, but leave us mods out of it now.

sowwy
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Political correctness, like many other practices here, is very polarized. With the occasional small iffy remark, I have deeply offended people, whereas I have met others who make some really bigoted remarks.

I think in the UK the issue people have isn't so much political correctness in the population but it's effect on local government to the point of absurdity.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:12 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is a huge debate going on in Canada at the moment as to whether its National Anthem is sexist. I have to admit that it is great living in a country that is so devoid of any real issues that issues such as this one are mentioned in the throne speech

You will find Canada way more PC than the UK.
There are real issues in Canada, but Canadians would rather not deal with them. So we debate a single syllable word in the anthem.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anybody explain this to me - agree that mobile phone service is expensive here bla blah blah....but how come they can give unlimited free calls after 7 pm to 6 am next day (or 6 for some)........if they can do this then it proves that they can surely balance the cost reasonably so we pay a decent price .......if the service is so expensive that they make us pay so much during daytime usage then how come it becomes FREE after 7 pm. This just doesnt make sense.

Originally Posted by Souvy
Wholly agree. I just want a phone that makes and receives calls. The only gizmo I need with it is GSM. I don't want text messaging, GSM, games, internet.......
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:30 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
There are real issues in Canada, but Canadians would rather not deal with them. So we debate a single syllable word in the anthem.
Yeah, but you must agree that having the word ***t in your national anthem wasn't the greatest of ideas was it. Someone was bound to pick up on it eventually.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bsmith
Yeah, but you must agree that having the word ***t in your national anthem wasn't the greatest of ideas was it. Someone was bound to pick up on it eventually.

what happened?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I am without GHD's does that make me a luddite?

Please say yes - then my OH will HAVE to buy me a new pair.

Hell yeah!!

Originally Posted by iaink
Free? There is a $6Bn cost to build and host that someone has to pay for, and tickets for the events were far from free unless you happen to be the chairman of coca cola or some similar sponsoring multinational!

Someone told me the cheapest tickets for the hockey started at $800... not sure if thats true or not though. I do know they werent free though!
Prelim ladies games started at about $75 but mens final tix started at about $750 on Vanoc site in the intial rounds of tickey issue.

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Oh, this is what she was talking about! ha.
Yup - cheeky lil minx - and achieved well!

ps - Luddite: The term "Luddite fallacy" has become a concept in neoclassical economics reflecting the belief that labour-saving technologies (i.e., technologies that increase output-per-worker) increase unemployment by reducing demand for labour. This argument may be decried fallacious if—instead of seeking to keep production constant by employing a smaller, more productive workforce—employers increase production while keeping workforce size constant. - I googled it
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'll give you whinging and whinning, even limey and poms. But luddites - I think you'd best go and look that one up in a dictionary.
The Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the nineteenth century who protested—often by destroying mechanized looms—against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt were leaving them without work and changing their entire way of life.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:30 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
The Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the nineteenth century who protested—often by destroying mechanized looms—against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt were leaving them without work and changing their entire way of life.
Well, they were right weren't they?

History is always written by the victors and all that.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:01 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

So in idiot terms "Luddite" when reffered to in modern terms strictly speaking means someone whos a bit p*****d off at losing out to modern technology, and therefore revolts against it to put things back to the way they were.

Not too appropriate for an internet forum (which can also be likened to Facebook or such,) that has taken over the need to converse face to face.

Should we do the done thing and instead of burning bras burn our laptops and all arrange to meet in a central point to discuss things like in the good old days
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

er... thanks..
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating insight. Who was their leader again?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:25 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fascinating insight. Who was their leader again?
....Wasn't it Laura Ashley?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Very possibly. Is she related to Mike?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Arthur Scargill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.