What's for Supper?

Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for Supper?

Originally Posted by terese677
I love corned beef hash with loads of onions topped with beans.
I've also just made a bread pudding which is so moorish!
Terese
Try this if you like corned beef hash. Its called panacklety (no idea how to spell it) and its from the northeast of England.

Slice some onions and fry them in a big frying pan. When soft put some sliced potatoes in a layer on top. Cover with water with a stock cube- or bisto - added - and salt and pepper- and then simmer with lid on till cooked. When spuds are soft put the corned beef on top in slices to make another layer. Put the pan lid on and let the corned beef heat through. Don't stir else its all a mess. Tastes good but its a mess.

My mum used to layer everything in an ovendish and bake it. An aunt used to add bacon, but that just tastes wrong to me.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this thread and read every entry. I get bored of the same old, same old, too, so appreciate having a few new ideas. Will definitely do the pie during Christmas week.

We spent a few days with a family in France recently and one night had chicken and mushroom tagliatelle. A very quick and easy dish.

chicken breasts, I use 4, chopped into small pieces and fried in a little olive oil until cooked or brown, however you like 'em.

Some mushrooms, how many depends on how much you like 'em, which you can add at the end of the cooking of the chicken pieces.

One tub of creme Fraiche, and some double cream if you like a richer flavour, just add these to the chicken and mushrooms and simmer gently whilst some Tagliatelle is cooking. I sprinkled half a chicken stock cube on to the simmering sauce, just to add a bit of flavour to it.

Absolutely scrummy when all mixed up dished out. I've done this several times since our visit and played around with the recipe by adding cooked smoked bacon or ham pieces.

Another family favourite are Burittos

A basic Chilli mince with or without the kidney beans

Flour tortillas

Guacamole

Salsa/chopped tomatoes

Grated Cheddar cheese

A bit of each wrapped in warm Tortillas....mmmmmmm

The Gibbos family have tried both of these now when we've stayed together, and probably think that this is all I know how to cook!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beebop
Ingredients...for Pizza

Strong flour (for bread)
Salt
Olive Oil
Fast-action Yeast
Water

Tsp - teaspoon
Tbs - tablespoon

Mix 8 fl. oz of water (warm - mix 1/3 boiling water with 2/3 cold water) with 3/4 tsp of salt and a cup of flour and two tbs of Olive Oil and beat it for 1 minute or so (I use my mixer for this and a good beating seems to make the dough lighter). Add two sachets of yeast and keep beating for another two minutes.

Add more flour slowly until you get a pliable dough (by which time you are using a spoon to mix the flour in, not the electric mixer) - turn out onto a floured board and knead for 5 minutes (you get a feel for this after a while) dough should be soft and bouncy and not taking any more flour up.

Chuck it back in the mixing bowl (oil/flour the inside 1st) put a plastic bad (tesco carrier bag!) over the top to keep the atmosphere moist and put the bowl somewhere warm for 1 hr 30 mins ish.

Turn out onto the board and gently knock the air out, pull/roll into a pizza shape and put on an oiled tray. Leave for 15 mins and then add toppings and cook at max (230 C) in the oven - 10 mins or so.

Tomato sauce - gently cook some garlic in some olive oil for a couple of mins and the add a can of tomatoes, pinch of sugar & salt, black pepper....cook down until it's a thick paste. You can add onion, fresh basil, dried basil or oregano. (I also add a pinch of Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon but I’m not sure if you can get this in Canada.)

It's quite flexible - if you want mushrooms or peppers on the pizza, cook them a bit before using as a topping.

It's all a bit experimental....only thing that can really go wrong is that you kill the yeast with the water being too hot or too cold or it was dead anyway. Dough should double in size - if it doesn't, it's gone wrong.

This will be good for your daughter as once mastered, it is a very impressive thing to do for friends!!
We tried this recipe today and it was a big hit! Thanks!!!!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Try this if you like corned beef hash. Its called panacklety (no idea how to spell it) and its from the northeast of England.

Slice some onions and fry them in a big frying pan. When soft put some sliced potatoes in a layer on top. Cover with water with a stock cube- or bisto - added - and salt and pepper- and then simmer with lid on till cooked. When spuds are soft put the corned beef on top in slices to make another layer. Put the pan lid on and let the corned beef heat through. Don't stir else its all a mess. Tastes good but its a mess.

My mum used to layer everything in an ovendish and bake it. An aunt used to add bacon, but that just tastes wrong to me.
That sounds good will try that today,

I have a cheats one really for a supper dish,

prawns,
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed,
bow pasta,
mayonnaise,
thousand island dressing, ( decent one )
fresh ground pepper,

boil pasta and drain, return to pan add crushed garlic,
2 good tablespoons mayonnaise,
1-2 of thousand island and stir
add the prawns, black pepper to taste,
heat through very gently turning the food so it doesn't burn,
serve, i usually do this with a side dish of sliced tomatoes in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:07 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Magic chocolate pudding

3 oz self raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of salt
4 oz butter or margarine softened
4 oz caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
2 eggs
1-2 tablespoons milk
margarine for greasing

sauce

4 oz light soft brown surgar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 pint boiling water

heat the oven to 190c/375f/gas 5.
Lightly grease a 2 1/2 pint fairly deep ovenproof pie dish
sift flour in to a bowl with cococa powder and salt,then set aside.
beat the margarine and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy,then beat in the vanilla.beat in the eggs,a little at a time,adding 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture with the last few additions of egg.
gradually stir in the remaining flour mixture and mix well,then add enough milk to give a smooth dropping consistency.
spoon the mixture into the prepared dish,spread it evenly.

make the sauce;mix together the brown sugar and cocoa powder,then gradually blend in the water stiring vigorously to avoid lumps.pour the sauce over the mixture in the pie dish.
bake just above the centre of the oven for 40 minutes,or until the pudding is well risen and brown and the chocolate sauce beneath is syrupy

made this one a lot OH and kids love it
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:22 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by daft batty

We have this and the kids love it, we call itlancashire hotpot, some people use lamb instead of corn beef, but it is beter with cornbeef.
layer the potatoes, onions and corn beef, pour over the gravy (we use bisto) put lid on and cook for an hour, take the lid off and cook for a further 30 minutes to make the top layer crispy ( better have the top layer as potatoes)

Granny used to make it and i loved it

Also another version we have come across is the put potatoes, onions, corn beef and a mix of different veg in a pan, 1 pint of bisto and put on low simmer
once the potatoes are soft it is ready to eat
Great way to get kids to eat there veg

Gill
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
We have this and the kids love it, we call itlancashire hotpot, some people use lamb instead of corn beef, but it is beter with cornbeef.
layer the potatoes, onions and corn beef, pour over the gravy (we use bisto) put lid on and cook for an hour, take the lid off and cook for a further 30 minutes to make the top layer crispy ( better have the top layer as potatoes)

Granny used to make it and i loved it

Also another version we have come across is the put potatoes, onions, corn beef and a mix of different veg in a pan, 1 pint of bisto and put on low simmer
once the potatoes are soft it is ready to eat
Great way to get kids to eat there veg

Gill
bet mine still won't eat it, he is the only child i know who picks out the veg in veg spag bol haha but will try the corned beef one thanks sounds good

I don't know if anyone wants a lemon crunch pie recipe its a cheats ( all of mine are ) cheescake, everyone loves it and thinks you have spent ages making it,
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:41 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

yeah ill take the lemon pie

One thing i was always told when baking is use the hands, doesnt matter how messy it gets, so far everything turns out good.
i only use measures when i bake, everything else i do is a bit of this and that

We are naughty with the kids, carrots are for seeing in the dark, others are trees to make you grow big and strong etc etc.

My eldest got brought up with a childminder who bought everything in packets and freezer, she is hard work and refuses to eat, but we are getting there slowly, my other 2 was brought up with me at home and totally love there food, ive made it fun and is slowly rubbing off on the oldest

But she still wont eat beetroot, my other 2 have had ham and beetroot buttys for dinner, my eldest just ham

Gill
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeah ill take the lemon pie

One thing i was always told when baking is use the hands, doesnt matter how messy it gets, so far everything turns out good.
i only use measures when i bake, everything else i do is a bit of this and that

We are naughty with the kids, carrots are for seeing in the dark, others are trees to make you grow big and strong etc etc.

My eldest got brought up with a childminder who bought everything in packets and freezer, she is hard work and refuses to eat, but we are getting there slowly, my other 2 was brought up with me at home and totally love there food, ive made it fun and is slowly rubbing off on the oldest

But she still wont eat beetroot, my other 2 have had ham and beetroot buttys for dinner, my eldest just ham

Gill
Youngest is the problem, he was brought up on what we ate, then we went to
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jamie123
Youngest is the problem, he was brought up on what we ate, then we went to
States for a while all the food was so different, we had to eat out all the time,
he went off everything, when we returned home he was terrible.

We do all the see in the dark games, i grow food with him, make fun meals together volcano, sausages and faces etc but he still will only eat a few things i even have to bribe him to eat carrots, i never cook him anything else and if he leaves it ( i don't make him eat everything on the plate ) he gets no pud and nothing else, i have been trained in childcare and have 4 children but it doesn't work for him, you are like me from the sounds of it i don't by any junk food or prepared meals ( i can make enough junk myself )
He does eat a few things i find strange for someone so fussy, he loves rhubarb, cinimon bagels, etc
he is exceptionally tall and healthy. oh well must be doing something right

sue
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:38 pm

She is tall and skinny as well, but she did eat sweet and sour chicken that i made the other night and i neally fell off my chair

I think all kids are different i wont eat anything different and then in my early 20's i changed and now love savoury and not sweet
She knows the score, no meal no pudding, but wow does she get aay with it at granparents :curse:

Thats another receipe, ill try and find the sweet and sour i do, umm
and just made egg fried rice with peas and sweetcorn, she is stil sat there trying that

Gill
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She is tall and skinny as well, but she did eat sweet and sour chicken that i made the other night and i neally fell off my chair

I think all kids are different i wont eat anything different and then in my early 20's i changed and now love savoury and not sweet
She knows the score, no meal no pudding, but wow does she get aay with it at granparents :curse:

Thats another receipe, ill try and find the sweet and sour i do, umm
and just made egg fried rice with peas and sweetcorn, she is stil sat there trying that

Gill
i will try anything so fire away if you have more, thanks
i know what you mean about grandparents
cheers sue
Old Apr 7th 2008, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
i will try anything so fire away if you have more, thanks
i know what you mean about grandparents
cheers sue
Just wondering does anyone have any new recipes to add,

I am making sausage with caramelised onions, mash, gravy and should be red cabbage but will be broccoli cheese,
followed by apple pie and custard
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:14 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Just wondering does anyone have any new recipes to add,

I am making sausage with caramelised onions, mash, gravy and should be red cabbage but will be broccoli cheese,
followed by apple pie and custard

Pork meat balls

Put on pan of water to boil/ pre heat oven gas 5

Pork mince 500g.... Grated cheese 2oz (Cheddar/parmisan Red Leicester )..... Sage as much as you want.... all mixed up with some bread crumbs 3 slices

Roll into smallish balls and cook in the oven for about half hour/45 mins depending on size turning half way

Meanwhile

Chop onion....crush garlic....Chop more Sage...open tin of good tomatoes

Fry off onion/Garlic add tomatoes with sprinkle of Sugar and simmer

With 10 mins to go put on Spaghetti pasta

Serve up Spaghetti/ meatballs and big heap of sauce...Grated cheese on top ....variety and how much is up to you

We have used dried mixed herbs instead of sage

All my kids eat this! It is the only meal we can ALL sit down to and have empty plates at the end.

Think I'll do it for tea mmmmmmh
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:23 am
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Littletashy
Pork meat balls

Put on pan of water to boil/ pre heat oven gas 5

Pork mince 500g.... Grated cheese 2oz (Cheddar/parmisan Red Leicester )..... Sage as much as you want.... all mixed up with some bread crumbs 3 slices

Roll into smallish balls and cook in the oven for about half hour/45 mins depending on size turning half way

Meanwhile

Chop onion....crush garlic....Chop more Sage...open tin of good tomatoes

Fry off onion/Garlic add tomatoes with sprinkle of Sugar and simmer

With 10 mins to go put on Spaghetti pasta

Serve up Spaghetti/ meatballs and big heap of sauce...Grated cheese on top ....variety and how much is up to you

We have used dried mixed herbs instead of sage

All my kids eat this! It is the only meal we can ALL sit down to and have empty plates at the end.

Think I'll do it for tea mmmmmmh
SET ME A PLACE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.