What's for Supper?

Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for Supper?

Originally Posted by Beebop
Does anyone want a foolproof pizza base recipe?
Yes please!
And the Nigella Choc Christmas cake recipe?
Aw, I can feel a cook fest coming on.Thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I'd recommend Delia's beef in beer or sausage casserole in red wine if you want a really warming winter's night dinner...
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Yes please!
I'll write it up and post it - Post #39 for the choccie cake recipe....
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, spotted the choccie cake recipe, will be off to get the ingredients later!
Don't have a prune in the house!
Thanks for offering the pizza recipe. Something I think my daughter would like to make. I'm determined she'll know how to cook, rather than open a packet....if it kills me!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I'd recommend Delia's beef in beer or sausage casserole in red wine if you want a really warming winter's night dinner...
Ah, one of my personal favourites....Beef in Ale or Boeuf Carbonnade if you are being posh. Simple to do, smells divine whilst cooking and just the thing on a cold day. In a similar vein the classic Boeuf Bourguignon is great & Delia also has a cracking and easy recipe for Stroganoff which I do quite regularly.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

Ingredients...for Pizza

Strong flour (for bread)
Salt
Olive Oil
Fast-action Yeast
Water

Tsp - teaspoon
Tbs - tablespoon

Mix 8 fl. oz of water (warm - mix 1/3 boiling water with 2/3 cold water) with 3/4 tsp of salt and a cup of flour and two tbs of Olive Oil and beat it for 1 minute or so (I use my mixer for this and a good beating seems to make the dough lighter). Add two sachets of yeast and keep beating for another two minutes.

Add more flour slowly until you get a pliable dough (by which time you are using a spoon to mix the flour in, not the electric mixer) - turn out onto a floured board and knead for 5 minutes (you get a feel for this after a while) dough should be soft and bouncy and not taking any more flour up.

Chuck it back in the mixing bowl (oil/flour the inside 1st) put a plastic bad (tesco carrier bag!) over the top to keep the atmosphere moist and put the bowl somewhere warm for 1 hr 30 mins ish.

Turn out onto the board and gently knock the air out, pull/roll into a pizza shape and put on an oiled tray. Leave for 15 mins and then add toppings and cook at max (230 C) in the oven - 10 mins or so.

Tomato sauce - gently cook some garlic in some olive oil for a couple of mins and the add a can of tomatoes, pinch of sugar & salt, black pepper....cook down until it's a thick paste. You can add onion, fresh basil, dried basil or oregano. (I also add a pinch of Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon but I’m not sure if you can get this in Canada.)

It's quite flexible - if you want mushrooms or peppers on the pizza, cook them a bit before using as a topping.

It's all a bit experimental....only thing that can really go wrong is that you kill the yeast with the water being too hot or too cold or it was dead anyway. Dough should double in size - if it doesn't, it's gone wrong.

This will be good for your daughter as once mastered, it is a very impressive thing to do for friends!!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ah, one of my personal favourites....Beef in Ale or Boeuf Carbonnade if you are being posh. Simple to do, smells divine whilst cooking and just the thing on a cold day. In a similar vein the classic Boeuf Bourguignon is great & Delia also has a cracking and easy recipe for Stroganoff which I do quite regularly.
Absolutely....with you on all of the above....just the aroma is enough to warm the cockles!

Thanks for the pizza recipe!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:28 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Yes please!
Here's the cake

Christmas chocolate fruit cake – Nigella Lawson

350g (12oz) dried soft prunes, chopped
250g (9oz) raisins
125g (4 ½ oz) currants
175g (6oz) soft unsalted butter
175g (6oz) dark muscovado sugar
175ml (6fl oz) honey
125ml (4fl oz) coffee or chocolate liqueur
Juice and zest of 2 oranges
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 tablespoons cocoa
3 eggs, beaten
150g (5 ½ oz) flour
75g (2 ½ oz) ground almonds
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarb of soda

For decorating:
25g (1oz) chocolate covered coffee beans
Gold edible glitter
Gold edible mini-balls and stars
Gold and coloured ribbon to tie around

Use a loose-bottomed cake tin 20cm x 9cm (8in x 3 ½in) and line bottom and sides with baking parchment making it twice as high as the sides of the tin. It also helps to prevent the cake from catching if a strip of brown paper is tied around the outer edge of the tin.

Put fruit, butter, sugar, honey, liqueur, orange juice and zest, spice and cocoa into a large saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer mixture for 10 minutes then take off the heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes (or longer if wished).

Preheat oven to 150C (300F).

When mixture has cooled add the beaten eggs. flour, ground almonds, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Pour mixture into prepared tin, place in centre of oven and bake for 2-2 ½ hours.

When cooked the cake will still have a shiny and sticky look. If you insert a cake tester into the middle of the cake it will seem slightly gooey. Cool the cake on a cooling rack (it takes several hours to cool) then remove from tin, and if not required immediately store it by wrapping in parchment and foil and placing in a tin.

To decorate tie a coloured ribbon around the outer edge, place the chocolate covered cocoa beans in the centre of the cake and arrange the edible glitter, stars and balls around them.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely....with you on all of the above....just the aroma is enough to warm the cockles!

You can make this into bread rolls as well.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Beef in Guinness is lovely thats a Delia's, find the port a bit rich so i leave it out,
Also like sausages with caramelised onions and mash pots.sometimes serve on red cabbage.

A good way to do cabbage is to boil for a few mins sliced in strips drain add cream and cooked chopped bacon pieces and fried onion bits yum yum

Leeks sliced and fried in butter add chopped dates
a fav pud is sticky toffee pud
another special one is truffle torte also delia have one in the freezer ready for xmas

I have a fab recipe for brownies that are well loved by all chocoholics
if anyone wants it,

cheers sue
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jamie123
Beef in Guinness is lovely thats a Delia's, find the port a bit rich so i leave it out,
Also like sausages with caramelised onions and mash pots.sometimes serve on red cabbage.

A good way to do cabbage is to boil for a few mins sliced in strips drain add cream and cooked chopped bacon pieces and fried onion bits yum yum

Leeks sliced and fried in butter add chopped dates
a fav pud is sticky toffee pud
another special one is truffle torte also delia have one in the freezer ready for xmas

I have a fab recipe for brownies that are well loved by all chocoholics
if anyone wants it,

cheers sue
I was looking for a sticky toffee pud recipe earlier this week and I've never baked brownies, so yes I would like it/them, if you don't mind!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:56 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Here goes

Christmas Pie

ingredients
1 tablespoon oil for frying
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 slices smoked streaky bacon, chopped or, 50 g smoked lardons
500g pork sausagemeat or skinned pork sausages
1 lemon, zest of, grated
1 orange, zest of, grated
100g fresh breadcrumbs (I think the original recipe said brown but we used white yesterday as we happened to have a not-too-fresh loaf in the breadbin…)
75g ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
50g fresh cooked peeled chestnuts or canned chestnuts or vacuum-packed chestnuts, chopped (optional, but v good IMHO)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
100g fresh cranberries or frozen cranberries
500g boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
500g shortcrust pastry
beaten eggs, to glaze

method
  1. Heat oven to 190C/375F/gas 5. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion and the bacon (if using), then fry for about 5 mins until the onion is softened and the bacon browned. Allow to cool slightly.
  2. Tip the sausagemeat, lemon and orange zest, breadcrumbs, apricots, chestnuts (if using) and thyme into a bowl.
  3. Add the onion, bacon and cranberries, then mix everything together with your hands, adding plenty of pepper and a little salt to taste.
  4. Cut each chicken breast into three or four fillets lengthwise and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, and fry the chicken fillets quickly until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
  5. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to line a 20-23cm springform or deep loose-based tart tin. Press half of the sausage mix onto the pastry and spread to level. Then add the chicken pieces in one layer and cover with the rest of the sausage. Press down lightly.
  6. Roll out the remaining pastry. Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg and cover with the pastry lid. Pinch the edges to seal, then trim.
  7. Brush the top of the pie with egg, then roll out the trimmings to make holly leaf shapes and berries. Decorate the pie and brush again with egg.
  8. Set the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 mins, then cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Remove the pie from the tin, and leave to cool slightly. Serve warm or cold with a winter salads, chutneys, relishes and pickles.
It also freezes really well – we froze as individual slices the leftovers from yesterday’s festivities and I’ve just eaten a slice for my lunch.
Ummmm...that sounds lovely - I think I will try this, thanks Oakvillian
Old Dec 11th 2007, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking for a sticky toffee pud recipe earlier this week and I've never baked brownies, so yes I would like it/them, if you don't mind!
Sues Brownies,
One and half packs butter,
400grm dark choc doesn't have to be expensive i use tesco 2nd cheapest,
500grm granulated sugar or castor sugar,
6 med eggs,
1 tbls vanilla extract
225grm plain flour
melt choc and butter in bowl, ( i use microwave )
Beat together eggs sugar and vanilla extract,
Add choc and butter to egg mixture, mix together, if you want to add nuts fruit or choc chips do it now, we prefer them without
add flour, put in silicone brownie dish or grease a normal brownie dish,
put in oven on 160 don't know gas very low cook for about 25 - 30 mins until starts cracking on top
remove and allow to cool, they are quite wet at this stage, you can cook them longer but keep checking them,
cut when cold, LOCK AWAY also great with ice cream and choc or toffee sauce.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 3:57 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Hello, Was just talking to my parents and their in england and was having mince and mash. (sounds good to me)

I love Lasagne, hmmm getting hungery now.

Hubby recommended beef stew and dumplings, fast and easy.

Lisa
Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sticky toffee pudding,
google delia sticky toffee pudding its the first on the list, this is the best one we have found, hubby cooks it actually so tastes even better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.