Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:30 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are you reading?

Originally Posted by acer rose
Me too at the moment. Got three Calvin and Hobbes collections on the go.

Last proper book was How mumbo-jumbo conquered the world.
Oh I love Calvin and Hobbes lol

x
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

"Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss

Not at all typical for me; but surprisingly entertaining!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I'm reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Powder-War-Tem.../dp/0345481305

It's the third in a trilogy combining dragon lore (a la Anne McCaffrey) with the Napoleonic Wars. Interesting slant by Naomi Novik.
I think my hubby has all her books! (Anne McCaffrey).
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The last piece of Canadiana I read was "Shake Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire which I hope was written in French and translated by babelfish.
The co-author of that book, Major Brent Beardsley, is speaking here in town next week on his time in Rwanda - looking forward to it.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Current books on the go:

Walking the Bible by Bruce Felier - travel book by a lapsed Jew travelling round Egypt/Israel/Turkey tracing the steps of the various individuals in the first 5 books of the Old Testament. Very good read so far even though I'm only half way through.

Orthotics in Rehabilitation: Splinting the Hand and Body - not nearly as exciting as above!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellsie
Behind the throng I know but I am reading 'Harry Potter and the half blood prince' I am going to try again with the 'Time Travellers Wife' next as I think I will need to spend time on it, so it should be done before the container arrives. I tried to read it befiore and was enjoying it but I kept losing the plot, so to speak!
Time travellers wife is worth the perseverance.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: What are you reading?

BE Search Forums.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Hi HWP's,

I'm reading The Green Mile by Stephen King (and thoroughly enjoying it)

Well, you wouldn't expect me to read a normal girly book now would you?
I like Stephen King books but the green mile is a bit different to his normal offering. Its a great book and I really cried at the end.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Awwwwwe...... would you actually expect me to expect 'normal' from you Crafty?

BTW, one of my favourite books, ever, is 'The Shining' by Stephen King - freaked the bajaysus out of me! Way spooookier than the film! I can't stay in hotel without thinking about it.

redrum... redrum...
I agree the shinning is really scary and like Joey on friends I wanted to lock it away in the freezer. :scared:
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have just read the Cloud Garden by two british backpackers. Its a true story about two people that get taken hostage in deepest South America. It was recommended to me by a friend and its great.

It has to be one of my top ten reads.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
The co-author of that book, Major Brent Beardsley, is speaking here in town next week on his time in Rwanda - looking forward to it.
I bet that'll be interesting. The book was a terribly frustrating read, there seemed to an interesting and tragic story to be told but the incoherence of the author muffled it; it was like listening to a stammerer trying to explain a recent disaster.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

MrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really niceMrsWillow is just really nice

I have just today finished 'the Highest Tide' http://www.thehighesttide.com/ I was totally drawn in. Amazing.

Or what about 'Fall on Your Knees' - Anne Marie MacDonald. This might just be my favourite book. A book that follows many generations living in the Maritimes.

I am panicing now as I am going to have to go to bed tonight without a book

I might be able to dig out something trashy that a friend gave me just to keep me going.