Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you reading?

What are you reading?

Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:45 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you reading?

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I'm reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Powder-War-Tem.../dp/0345481305

It's the third in a trilogy combining dragon lore (a la Anne McCaffrey) with the Napoleonic Wars. Interesting slant by Naomi Novik.

Ooooh, this sounds interesting - I am very much into mythological writing and things like that... oh, and I LOVE dragons

If I am immensely daft and can't see the two others when I link to this site could you please give me their titles?
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am reading Riders, by Jilly Cooper, it's unutterable tosh but very jolly and fabulously un-PC.

The only book I've read recently which I thought worth keeping to read again was "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller, a memoir of Africa and exile.

The last piece of Canadiana I read was "Shake Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire which I hope was written in French and translated by babelfish.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:46 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=yonk]Stella Rimington's autobiograpy because it was on the shelf of the holiday home and it rained every day and I've just ordered two books on poker, as I have decided I really need to learn to play properly....

If you do and you ever fancy an online game I LOVE poker (not for money tho cos I'm not that good LOL)....
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:48 am
Bright light!!

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
What a fab film it is. I must read the book. The Shining was on the other night :scared: Come play with us Danny ........ For ever, and ever, and ever ........... I'm like eeeeeeekkk! Those 2 girls are sooooo creepy I'm never gonna stay in a large hotel with funky carpets again
The Shining has got to be one of the best books and films ever - only Jack coulda played it too... freaky as heck!!! And yea - those girls.... i'd like to see what they look like now tho
Old Oct 9th 2006, 12:15 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ki76

One of my all time faves is The Day of the Jackal - awesome book (crap film!!)

Yup, I agree with that, our copy is very dog-eared.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Newly moved back to Canadaland and I'm still awaiting my container stuff (mostly books, CDs and other amusements)... I just received an email that it will be arriving into Vancouver on Nov 20th. I suspect I won't see my boxes until December... A trip to the bookshop is in order then.

Anyone read anything interesting lately?
Aaahh reading what an interesting concept.

I used to do that, a lot. I used to like reading mysteries, Science fiction and fantasy, war stories and some biographies.

Haven't read a book for ten years and I find it frustating that I can't.

It seems that ever since my bypass surgery I can't seem to concentrate long enough (I seem to have the attention span of a gerbil these days) to get into reading a book. I've tried many times but find I can't make it past the first few pages without giving up in frustration.

I understand it is not unusual for those who have been on a bypass machine.

So to all of you who read I am insanely jealous, I guess I'll just stick the book of short stories (the phone book).

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ki76
Ooooh, this sounds interesting - I am very much into mythological writing and things like that... oh, and I LOVE dragons

If I am immensely daft and can't see the two others when I link to this site could you please give me their titles?
The first was "His Majesty's Dragon" (Temeraire book 1)
The second "Throne of Jade" (Temeraire book 2)

They have links to them at the bottom of that web-page under "Customers who bought this item also bought..... "

If you like Dragon-lore stories, have you read Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) and Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2) by Christopher Paolini ?? He's currently working on the third book in the trilogy, which he started aged about 16 yrs old or something ridiculous! You can sort of tell his immaturity in the first book, which is still a great read, ... but by the second you can read his development as a writer. We are looking forward to the third!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:40 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Haruki Murakami is one the THE BEST authors alive at the moment. He stuff is fantastic and I have Kafka on the Shore on the bookshelf waiting to be read. I loved The Windup Bird Chronicle.
Yay another Haruki fan! Yet to read The Windup Bird Chronicle but Norweigan Wood is my fave so far. I'll put it on my list =)

I haven't read that since 1984! I was 16 and paranoid! That book was like an acopolyptic pamphlet that sent me under my bed!! ( Were you even born yet?! ) I swiftly geared back down into Jughead and Veronica...
Proud member of generation Y yep, born in said year (just ) I followed up my first reading with a blast through Brave New World. Enough to make sure you stay under your bed once you're there!

I saw the movie!

True, true! I don't possess the qualities or genes (or jeans!) to be English.
.lol. Merchant Ivory and Anthony Hopkins. National Treasures both I dunno. Pop an umbrella in your hand and swap your scarlet longjohns for a pair of stripey M+S jimjams and I reckon you could pass for one of us. You have the sense of humour down pat anyway.

Edit: - The follow up to Curious Incident is 'Spot of Bother' though it's only out in hardback atm I think.

Last edited by windward; Oct 9th 2006 at 4:42 pm. Reason: Mark Haddon's new book
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:02 pm
Bright light!!

Originally Posted by Morwenna
The first was "His Majesty's Dragon" (Temeraire book 1)
The second "Throne of Jade" (Temeraire book 2)

They have links to them at the bottom of that web-page under "Customers who bought this item also bought..... "

If you like Dragon-lore stories, have you read Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) and Eldest (Inheritance, Book 2) by Christopher Paolini ?? He's currently working on the third book in the trilogy, which he started aged about 16 yrs old or something ridiculous! You can sort of tell his immaturity in the first book, which is still a great read, ... but by the second you can read his development as a writer. We are looking forward to the third!
Thanks Morwenna - i'll look them up... I figured they prolly would have a link to the other books but always best to check these things out first LOL
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Aaahh reading what an interesting concept.

I used to do that, a lot. I used to like reading mysteries, Science fiction and fantasy, war stories and some biographies.

Haven't read a book for ten years and I find it frustating that I can't.

It seems that ever since my bypass surgery I can't seem to concentrate long enough (I seem to have the attention span of a gerbil these days) to get into reading a book. I've tried many times but find I can't make it past the first few pages without giving up in frustration.

I understand it is not unusual for those who have been on a bypass machine.

So to all of you who read I am insanely jealous, I guess I'll just stick the book of short stories (the phone book).

Cheers
Steve
This might sound daft, but if you can't concentrate on reading a book Steve, why not buy the audio version and listen to it.

Stuart
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Ki76]
Originally Posted by yonk
Stella Rimington's autobiograpy because it was on the shelf of the holiday home and it rained every day and I've just ordered two books on poker, as I have decided I really need to learn to play properly....

If you do and you ever fancy an online game I LOVE poker (not for money tho cos I'm not that good LOL)....
I only use play money - which site do you go on? I can be found on Pokerstars!

I'm still learning.....but I came 3rd in a Sit & Go tourney tonight so I'm in a good mood.

PM me and we can "meet" up??

Sorry HWP, not a book....
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stu-pot
This might sound daft, but if you can't concentrate on reading a book Steve, why not buy the audio version and listen to it.

Stuart
Thanks Stu.

Not daft at all and I have considered it but never acted on it.

I shall have to give it a try.

My wife reads a lot and she recently finished one that I am going to give a try. It's called "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

It's a series of short chapters of about ten pages each hopefully I can stay focused at least long enough to read a chapter at a time.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Stu.

My wife reads a lot and she recently finished one that I am going to give a try. It's called "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

It's a series of short chapters of about ten pages each hopefully I can stay focused at least long enough to read a chapter at a time.

Cheers
Steve
I flit - so I put books in the bathroom and read them in short bits - Bill Bryson is excellent for this purpose...
Old Oct 9th 2006, 9:21 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
I flit...
Me too at the moment. Got three Calvin and Hobbes collections on the go.

Last proper book was How mumbo-jumbo conquered the world.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:31 pm
Bright light!!

Thanks Stu.

Cheers
Steve
I've got the Notes From A Small Island on CD too - it's very good listening and he reads it himself word for word from the book so you lose nothing of the humour.

Ki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.