British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What are you reading? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/what-you-reading-401059/)

hot wasabi peas Oct 8th 2006 4:08 pm

What are you reading?

Newly moved back to Canadaland and I'm still awaiting my container stuff (mostly books, CDs and other amusements)... I just received an email that it will be arriving into Vancouver on Nov 20th. I suspect I won't see my boxes until December... :eek: A trip to the bookshop is in order then.

Anyone read anything interesting lately?

IceMaiden Oct 8th 2006 4:11 pm

Re: What are you reading?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Newly moved back to Canadaland and I'm still awaiting my container stuff (mostly books, CDs and other amusements)... I just received an email that it will be arriving into Vancouver on Nov 20th. I suspect I won't see my boxes until December... :eek: A trip to the bookshop is in order then.

Anyone read anything interesting lately?

Well I usually read cop thriller type books by James Patterson but at the moment I am reading the telephone directory - trying to find a shipping company :D

hot wasabi peas Oct 8th 2006 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
Well I usually read cop thriller type books by James Patterson but at the moment I am reading the telephone directory - trying to find a shipping company :D

God, what I'd do to have a phonebook! 'let's order a pizza... from where?... where's the phonebook?... don't have one... hrmph...'

Seriously, I can't find one anywhere in this city and it has been a major inconvience. Apparently the new 2007 ones are being delivered to households next week! I'm very excited about that! :D :o

burton bunch Oct 8th 2006 4:28 pm

God, what I'd do to have a phonebook! 'let's order a pizza... from where?... where's the phonebook?... don't have one... hrmph...'

Seriously, I can't find one anywhere in this city and it has been a major inconvience. Apparently the new 2007 ones are being delivered to households next week! I'm very excited about that! :D :o

Hi HWP

I am reading a book by Torey Hayden - Beautiful Child - she is an american child psychologist who has turned her work experiences into novels about the children she has helped - very interesting.

Love John Grisham and James Patterson just like Ice - the one called "Honeymoon" is fabulous and also the last few new one are great too.

I also like a guy called Johnathan Kellerman - his wife Faye also wites - he is similar to Patterson and Grisham but more drawn out and generally a longer read.

Sorry am real book buff :p

Gaynor

IceMaiden Oct 8th 2006 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi HWP

I am reading a book by Torey Hayden - Beautiful Child - she is an american child psychologist who has turned her work experiences into novels about the children she has helped - very interesting.

Love John Grisham and James Patterson just like Ice - the one called "Honeymoon" is fabulous and also the last few new one are great too.

I also like a guy called Johnathan Kellerman - his wife Faye also wites - he is similar to Patterson and Grisham but more drawn out and generally a longer read.

Sorry am real book buff :p

Gaynor

Very similar taste in reading material there Gaynor. Read all the James Pattersons and the John Grishams!

I'll have to look out for Johnathan Kellerman though, not read those. That'll keep me company on my lonely evenings then. Thanks for the tip. x :D

ellsie Oct 8th 2006 4:38 pm

Behind the throng I know but I am reading 'Harry Potter and the half blood prince' I am going to try again with the 'Time Travellers Wife' next as I think I will need to spend time on it, so it should be done before the container arrives. I tried to read it befiore and was enjoying it but I kept losing the plot, so to speak! ;)

burton bunch Oct 8th 2006 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ellsie
Behind the throng I know but I am reading 'Harry Potter and the half blood prince' I am going to try again with the 'Time Travellers Wife' next as I think I will need to spend time on it, so it should be done before the container arrives. I tried to read it befiore and was enjoying it but I kept losing the plot, so to speak! ;)

Keep on with "The time Travellers Wife" - one of THE best books I read last year.

IceMaiden Oct 8th 2006 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Keep on with "The time Travellers Wife" - one of THE best books I read last year.

One of my favourites. It is brilliant. Best book I read for a long time!! I loved it! :D

Tiffin Tease Oct 8th 2006 4:53 pm

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is a brilliant fictional book based on a search for Dracula, written from 3 points of view - it's very clever and gripping...

I love reading so really depends what you like - there are two extremely funny books based on the real life adventures of someone hired to open English tea rooms in France. The first is called A Year in the Merde and the second is Merde Actually by Stephen Clarke

Or a great couple of historical based novels - Murasaki (based in 11th century Japan) or Memoirs of a Geisha (book waaaaay better than the film)

Or for real history - The Medici by somebody Strathern is really interesting

Any of the Bill Bryson travel books are brilliant - especially Notes From a Small Island (a must for anyone who knows Britain)

And for a great series of books - Terry Pratchett the Discworld collection (recommend starting with Mort - really witty and clerverly written, fantasy/Lord of the Rings type but with comedy)

Oh, for a good murder/thriller type.... any of the Wire in the Blood series - psychologist Tony Hill (can't think of the names off the top of my head)

I could go on forever.... it's my passion LOL

Ki :)

windward Oct 8th 2006 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ki76
Or a great couple of historical based novels - Murasaki (based in 11th century Japan) or Memoirs of a Geisha (book waaaaay better than the film)

The Tale of Murasaki is the shizzle :D

ATM I'm re-reading 1984 after re-reading almost every other book I haven't packed into boxes in the attic (Iain Banks and Kazuo Ishiguro mainly - would highly recommend The Remains of the Day by the latter to you HWP, well-written, balanced view of what it used to, and maybe still does mean to be English. Might evoke some fond memories of the islands' temperament and also remind you why you might be better off back in Canada :p )

Currently awaiting receipt into store of Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. All of his books are great, full of whimsy and surreal symbolism and always with a wonderful story to back up the dreamlike logic, characters, and narrative style.

... anyone know Waterstones to take more than a week to order summat in for you btw?

Atlantic Xpat Oct 8th 2006 7:35 pm

Errmm HWP try http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/?st...algary&x=0&y=0 Who needs a phonebook?! :D

I have just started reading 'The official guide to taking the GMAT' or somesuch title. I am planning to start an MBA and have to take the GMAT test first. Initial review is making my head hurt!

Mrs AX just made me read the 'Life of Pi' to attempt to broaden my mind as she says that all the books I read have picture of a tank, ship, soldier, plane etc etc on the cover. She probably has a point as I didn't get any of the deeper symbolism of the Life of PI. It was an indian kid in a lifeboat with a tiger. Deeply silly. I think I'll go back to my choice!

yonk Oct 8th 2006 7:50 pm

Stella Rimington's autobiograpy because it was on the shelf of the holiday home and it rained every day and I've just ordered two books on poker, as I have decided I really need to learn to play properly....otherwise, just the Estates Gazette and Property Week as I can get hold of them at work!

Canada2006 Oct 8th 2006 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by windward
The Tale of Murasaki is the shizzle :D

ATM I'm re-reading 1984 after re-reading almost every other book I haven't packed into boxes in the attic (Iain Banks and Kazuo Ishiguro mainly - would highly recommend The Remains of the Day by the latter to you HWP, well-written, balanced view of what it used to, and maybe still does mean to be English. Might evoke some fond memories of the islands' temperament and also remind you why you might be better off back in Canada :p )

Currently awaiting receipt into store of Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. All of his books are great, full of whimsy and surreal symbolism and always with a wonderful story to back up the dreamlike logic, characters, and narrative style.

... anyone know Waterstones to take more than a week to order summat in for you btw?

Haruki Murakami is one the THE BEST authors alive at the moment. He stuff is fantastic and I have Kafka on the Shore on the bookshelf waiting to be read. I loved The Windup Bird Chronicle.

Apart from that, I'm reading Chris Patten's autobiography (part II), Fit for Life (how to eat better) and BritishExpats.com ;)

Craftybanshee Oct 8th 2006 10:34 pm

Hi HWP's,

I'm reading The Green Mile by Stephen King :eek: (and thoroughly enjoying it)

Well, you wouldn't expect me to read a normal girly book now would you? :rolleyes: ;)

Atlantic Xpat Oct 8th 2006 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ki76
And for a great series of books - Terry Pratchett the Discworld collection (recommend starting with Mort - really witty and clerverly written, fantasy/Lord of the Rings type but with comedy)Ki :)

On another forum, at another time, my handle was 'Bill Door' ;)