Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What are you doing to combat climate change?

What are you doing to combat climate change?

Old Oct 1st 2019, 2:58 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing to combat climate change?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Totally agree, its surprising how many people cant see that. The only thing we don't know is whether the great filter is behind us or in front of us....Id imagine its the latter, and thats going to happen regardless of what we do.
maybe we can pray, and God will pop round and repair the areas he ****ed up when he created the world
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi

maybe we can pray, and God will pop round and repair the areas he ****ed up when he created the world
Or maybe we can make all reasonable efforts ourselves.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:17 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Unfortunately, this is one crisis that needs a planet-wide response at the highest possible level. The individual can do little apart from plant a tree.
Pray if you like, if it makes you feel better, but it'll have no effect whatsoever.

Old Oct 1st 2019, 3:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Unfortunately, this is one crisis that needs a planet-wide response at the highest possible level. The individual can do little apart from plant a tree.
Pray if you like, if it makes you feel better, but it'll have no effect whatsoever.
Better to plant a tree than to sit and curse the heat.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You may recall that that is what I said a few months ago. One cannot leave it for governments to resolve, it is for each individual. Unfortunately, as this post demonstrates, most are not willing to do much at all, no doubt, wishing to shift blame to "the government.'
Old Oct 1st 2019, 6:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I like to think of myself as an individual and any such that take your attitude should not complain when the children and grand-children of your (our) generation suffer the consequences of individuals like yourself's resigned inaction.

I've posted enough in these fora that it cannot be news that I spent the whole of my career doing science research into atmospheric chemistry and physics connecting strongly to climate change. As my career progressed it was also possible for me to make productive educational/consulting/ informational contacts with industry and governments and organisations such as IGBP, the EU environmental research framework programmes, Environment Canada, BMBF, in Germany, CNRS in France, the Met Office in the UK and many others.

I know that experts are derided these days, but individual cabbages like you deserve worse.

BTW, talking of individuals, did you know that the great Greta is a direct descendent to the 19th C Swedish scientist Svenke Arrhenius, who was the first person to calculate (remarkably accurately) the amount which the presence of CO2 in the atmosphere effects the global average temperature?

Damn, another individual.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 6:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You may recall that that is what I said a few months ago.
I do recall that and believe it to have been mentioned in the context of the carbon tax.

One cannot leave it for governments to resolve, it is for each individual. .'
I don't think the need for individual effort lets governments off the hook; I think the carbon tax, for example, is a decent effort from a government but it's not a replacement for people being responsible.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 7:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The plastic bags thing is a good example of how behaviour can be changed. Another simple one I'd like to see is green/amber/red symbols on food mileage. For example, I live in Norfolk which produces some of the best apples and ham/bacon in the UK... yet in my local Tesco they sell South African apples and Danish bacon. Get a red sticker on them!!
Old Oct 1st 2019, 7:37 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

OK I gave a flippant (but true) answer. What do I do on a daily basis?

I try to do my bit for the climate and environment in general. I know it's not enough and I am ridiculously reliant on takeaway food - where I can, I will take my own reusable containers. I take cotton netting produce bags and reusable shopping bags to the supermarket. I turn down carrier bags in all stores. On the rare occasion I buy takeaway coffee, I take a keep cup. I have a wide top bottle I take for smoothies and carry a water bottle. I bought metal straws - if only I could remember to carry the damn things (I do turn down straws when I can but sometimes smoothies need them, or after a couple of G&Ts I will forget to ask for no straw).

We're trying to do without a car. We went 6 years without one in Singapore but needed one in Australia, although did use public transport when we could. 4-5 months in the US so far and it has clipped our wings a bit but we'll be using a car share scheme when my husband gets his US license. We deliberately moved somewhere with a high walk score (98%) and public transport score (100%) but it does mean we're paying premium rent.

Flying is a problem. I'm increasingly guilty about it but, as you all know, having family across the world means it's always going to happen. We haven't had a holiday or any trip away together for two years but I'd be lying if I said it's an environmental concern - it's due to other factors but, when we are in a position to travel together again, I wonder if I will be reluctant?

We had our HVAC system serviced recently and the maintenance guy couldn't believe how clean it is. We try not to use it - heat or cold, although I suspect I'll be using it more soon for heat. We've always preferred ceiling fans but are renting here, so not possible. I think we put aircon on twice, briefly, through Summer. (Can't open the windows 27 floors up, with cats.)

I'm not currently working but I will continue to campaign and act on climate change. Meanwhile, I do get pissed off with people (including some I have worked alongside) saying that all the above, individual, measures are pointless and it's the governments and industry that need to act. We need all of it. If we can make changes, why would we not?

edited to add: Online shopping is a real problem for me right now. We didn't move any furniture (or much else) over and I've tried to buy things in shops, only to be told them don't hold stock and I have to order it for delivery. The amount of packaging and the delivery miles really hurt me.

Last edited by Kooky.; Oct 1st 2019 at 7:40 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 7:56 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know that experts are derided these days, but individual cabbages like you deserve worse.
I don't think that any of my posts have derided anyone, the 'expert' doth protest too much, methinks.
If you'd read my posts you'd understand a little more, and as a noted 'expert' in your field perhaps you'd care to comment.
Am I correct in stating that CO2 levels are historically high?
Am I correct in assuming that one CO2 sink that is the world's oceans cannot absorb all the CO2 being generated?
Am I correct in observing that political responses to this issue have fallen below those required to address the issue?
Am I correct in observing that oil is still being pumped out of the ground and coal is still being mined and that these resources are being combusted to generate even more CO2?
Am I correct in observing that carbon sinks like the Amazon basin are being systematically denuded of their valuable vegitation?
Am I correct in observing that individuals in general left to themselves will do little to reduce their carbon footprint?
Am I correct in assuming that as the world GDP rises and as the world population increases then consumption of hydrocarbons will very likely increase alongside?
Am I therefore correct in assuming that CO2 levels will continue to increase?
So..
Where is this particular cabbage wrong when he states " Unfortunately, this is one crisis that needs a planet-wide response at the highest possible level. The individual can do little apart from plant a tree." The individual can reduce his CO2 generating consumption eg energy use, car use etc, but his very existence adds more CO2 to the atmosphere and it'll take some uncomfortable decisions made on his behalf to force him to change his behaviour.
This crisis, as you should know, since you've been involved with " governments and organisations such as IGBP, the EU environmental research framework programmes, Environment Canada, BMBF, in Germany, CNRS in France, the Met Office in the UK and many others."
that CO2 levels can only be controlled using an approach that promotes CO2 atmospheric removal so perhaps you can advise how the individual can actively contribute to CO2 removal in addition to planting trees.
I've already stated that I fear for my grandchildren and fully expect their criticism of my generation.
As for Greta, she's a remarkable young lady who's doing something extraordinary, we can only hope that her movement makes an impact because 'experts' have singularly failed in this respect.

Old Oct 1st 2019, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The plastic bags thing is a good example of how behaviour can be changed. Another simple one I'd like to see is green/amber/red symbols on food mileage. For example, I live in Norfolk which produces some of the best apples and ham/bacon in the UK... yet in my local Tesco they sell South African apples and Danish bacon. Get a red sticker on them!!
Reminds me of when some people in Vancouver tried to do the 100 mile diet challenge. They had to go without salt because all the salt is imported further than 100 miles away.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the need for individual effort lets governments off the hook; I think the carbon tax, for example, is a decent effort from a government but it's not a replacement for people being responsible.
I agree with your first sentence. I would agree with your second sentence if the price per tonne was $200 and everyone had to pay it. The currently iteration of it appears to be nothing more than an attempt to redistribute wealth with no impact of any substance being made the environment.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 11:25 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your first sentence. I would agree with your second sentence if the price per tonne was $200 and everyone had to pay it. The currently iteration of it appears to be nothing more than an attempt to redistribute wealth with no impact of any substance being made the environment.

Exactly... charging money for pollution does not solve climate change, it just creates a revenue
Old Oct 1st 2019, 11:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The plastic bags thing is a good example of how behaviour can be changed.
This is a great and good thing . WIth the albatross colony that I vist and follow, plastic parts and particles have been regurgitated by albatross chicks prior to fledging. In one case the chick struggled to regurgitate a part of a plastic scoop which is found in milk formula. Not at all good.

100% agree. It all counts in some way and in any case what is wrong with being as responsible as is possible.

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 9:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Exactly... charging money for pollution does not solve climate change, it just creates a revenue
Is it supposed to solve it?

It's supposed to help and encourage a mindset change and it's worked elsewhere.

If one is told something is going to cost more and the idea is to look for a better alternative and one chooses to pay more rather than the alternative, whose fault is that?
The only question is do they have more money than sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.