Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people?

Wikiposts

What is wrong with people?

Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How am I meant to hear my wife say yes with that gag in her mouth and that tight leather hood on?
Something similar came up in a decision of the Supreme Court of Canada:R. J.A.

I have to say, I prefer the dissenting opinions, rather than the majority decision.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:05 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The length of the relationship was mentioned simply to point out that, one assumes, those that have been together for some time are likely to act differently than those that have only just met.

I have to admit that I don't ask my wife if it is OK to kiss her when I leave for work each morning. According to the Supreme Court of Canada, if I do this, I am committing a sexual assault, just as I would be if I gave her a cuddle in the middle of the night while she is sleeping.

I am not suggesting it is difficult but I am suggesting that, in reality and in the vast majority of cases, such "question and answer" consent in a long term relationship does not occur. I suggest that one party will initiate something, the other party will either say words to the effect of "not now, I have a headache" or things move forward. That is not consent in accordance with Canadian law.

Clearly, if someone says "no" there can be no argument that there is no consent but, for example, the Canadian law appears to prevent any form of spontaneity at all and, in effect, requires a question and an answer.

Hollywood's spectacle of ripping clothes off, throwing up against walls is outlawed unless one says, "can I rip your clothes off" to wish the answer must be "yes", followed by, "can I throw you up against the wall" to which the answer must be "yes" and so on, and so on. Consent cannot be inferred from the other's apparent willingness to participate.

Edit: I see that others have made similar points which I hadn't read when I posted this.
Is there some kind of reasonableness test which must be considered? How long has Canadian law suffered from this paranoia on physical contact?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is there some kind of reasonableness test which must be considered? How long has Canadian law suffered from this paranoia on physical contact?
I am not a criminal lawyer but I believe that it emanated from a Supreme Court of Canada case in 1999 at paragraphs 46 and 49: R. Ewanchuk

It has to be explicit consent communicated. It cannot be inferred from the complainant's actions at all, unless s/he says "yes."

The infamous Judge Camp in the case that hit the headlines stated word to the effect of, "...that may be what the law requires, but it is not the way of the birds and the bees..."

If I am correct, it explains the reason why, in Canada, accused's are normally charged with multiple sexual assaults for the same "incident", e.g., kissing with out consent is one count, touching the other's bum through clothing is another count, removing clothes in another count, touching bare skin is another count, and so on.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 5:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
I do. My husband and I have been together (and happy!) for fifteen years and we both do, we ask before anything, even hugging. Its been the norm with previous partners too, ime.

I don't find it frustrating or interrupting, I find it increases trust and makes it so much more enjoyable.
Each to their own, I suppose.

I would just find it very strange, in a long term relationship.

Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:41 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Each to their own, I suppose.

I would just find it very strange, in a long term relationship.

I have to agree. Yes, on the first few dates I would certainly, and have, asked about holding hands, kissing, hugging - where I felt we were at a stage where that kind of thing would likely be ok - Actually, being honest, I have asked about holding a hand before a date (after agreeing about meeting) as I am a bit odd about weird things

When it comes to being more intimate, of course I'd ask before doing anything, and I have been known to be a little annoying by repeatedly double-checking if they are sure about this.

Once I'm in a relationship with someone, no, I don't tend to ask about kissing and hugging, and hand holding. I just do it.

If I were, for example, to ask my girlfriend "Can I kiss you" when I see her tomorrow, I know with complete and absolute certainty a) she'd say yes b) have an odd look on her face at why I'm asking, c) comment "of course you goof", d) ask me why on earth I'm asking, and d) when I tell her why, she would no doubt laugh and say how silly it is.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:27 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The Law of Consent in Sexual Assault | LEAF
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:34 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Admirable in intent, hopelessly misguided in reality.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus

Once I'm in a relationship with someone, no, I don't tend to ask about kissing and hugging, and hand holding. I just do it
You see for me personally this is when consent is perhaps even more important. Fifteen years down the road my husband still asks every time, and it means the world to me that he does, that he doesn't just feel that he has the right to do what he wants to my body just because we've been together for a while. His respect for me in that way means that he has my absolute trust, and vice versa.

I used to counsel for the equivalent of Rape Crisis in the country I lived in at the time. It was genuinely horrifying how many women and men telephoned for support as they felt that their partners were violating them. It was even more horrifying the number of those who thought that their partners would be distraught if they knew how they were making them feel. Despite that, they still couldn't/wouldn't talk to their partners about it as "its something they've always done and I liked it before but I don't now" or "I don't want to hurt their feelings, they think they're being romantic and spontaneous" or any other of the myriad of reasons. In many cases its just not as simple as saying no, or not tonight.

I don't ever want my husband to be in that position, the thought makes me feel sick, hence why we always ask.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 12:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

You see for me personally this is when consent is perhaps even more important. Fifteen years down the road my husband still asks every time, and it means the world to me that he does, that he doesn't just feel that he has the right to do what he wants to my body just because we've been together for a while. His respect for me in that way means that he has my absolute trust, and vice versa.
Probably not intended that way, but sounds like there is a hint of a suggestion that I lack respect for my girlfriend. Certainly not true. I do respect my girlfriend, and trust her, and I know, unequivocally, that the same is true from her to myself. If she didn't want me to do something, be it a kiss, hug, or something more intimate, she would make it very clearly known, and I would refrain from continuing.

Out of curiosity, what would you do if your husband did hold your hand or give you a peck on the cheek without asking? Would you see it as a complete breakdown in trust and respect?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 3:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Brilliant

I used to counsel for the equivalent of Rape Crisis in the country I lived in at the time. It was genuinely horrifying how many women and men telephoned for support as they felt that their partners were violating them. It was even more horrifying the number of those who thought that their partners would be distraught if they knew how they were making them feel. Despite that, they still couldn't/wouldn't talk to their partners about it as "its something they've always done and I liked it before but I don't now" or "I don't want to hurt their feelings, they think they're being romantic and spontaneous" or any other of the myriad of reasons. In many cases its just not as simple as saying no, or not tonight.

I don't ever want my husband to be in that position, the thought makes me feel sick, hence why we always ask.
I'm curious, was this also the case at your wedding:

Vicar or equivalent - 'You may kiss the bride'
Husband - 'May I kiss you'?
You - 'Yes I consent'
Everyone else thinking 'Oh for f**** sake, just get on with it'!
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:12 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

At this point in the thread, the title is more apposite than ever. Good grief.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
At this point in the thread, the title is more apposite than ever. Good grief.
Perhaps people should say the following as well (in spoiler tags as some people may not approve)
Spoiler:
Excuse me darling, if I can call you that? may I put my penis in your vagina?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
Probably not intended that way, but sounds like there is a hint of a suggestion that I lack respect for my girlfriend. Certainly not true. I do respect my girlfriend, and trust her, and I know, unequivocally, that the same is true from her to myself. If she didn't want me to do something, be it a kiss, hug, or something more intimate, she would make it very clearly known, and I would refrain from continuing.

Out of curiosity, what would you do if your husband did hold your hand or give you a peck on the cheek without asking? Would you see it as a complete breakdown in trust and respect?
No not intended that way, and honestly I've never thought about it as he's never done it, though on brief pre-coffee consideration I'm favouring setting the dog on him over pepper spray.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Brilliant

I'm curious, was this also the case at your wedding:

Vicar or equivalent - 'You may kiss the bride'
Husband - 'May I kiss you'?
You - 'Yes I consent'
Everyone else thinking 'Oh for f**** sake, just get on with it'!
Yes it was the case, like I said, every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.