Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people?

What is wrong with people?

Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with people?

Originally Posted by ecokid
Interesting that you pointed hooters out - massively flopped over here. It was seen as naf.

Excusing men for their apparent inability to control themselves is condoning such behaviour. As a bloke btw, I think we're better than that. I've never felt it was necessary to go say sexual stuff to somebody while they're working. It's not only inappropriate but freaking weird and desperate >snip<.

Being ogled at is one thing, having unsolicited lewd comments or someone exposing themselves in front of you, is quite another. There is nothing inherent in a hostess' role that makes it objectively 'OK' for the above to happen. Equally, a stripper agreeing to get naked in exchange for money isn't agreeing to physical contact, but punters often think that they're entitled to that and step over that line. Sure there's a risk of that happening, which is why strip clubs often remind punters of what's acceptable/unacceptable. Some strip joints don't and they're failing their duties to those women and men working there.

Blaming the outcome as a result of the choice of clothing is the same argument used in defense of harassment or rape of a woman dressed provocatively on a night out and one which is an old internalised social narrative that proportions blame and responsibility largely at the feet of the woman. Seeing some old sods defending such an argument is really sad. Thankfully the narrative is being rewritten whether you like it or not.

Just because they're happy to wear something risque (because it makes them feel sexy and as something considered fashionable and who may or may not be looking to attract someone), does not mean they resign their rights as a human to be treated with respect and fairness.
I don't think anyone condones such behavior, but simply one cant just wish the world to be different, maybe the narrative is being re-written but until it is the world is what it is. Taking a job at a male-only event and having to wear prescribed knickers should have raised some questions as to what was likely to occur, as well as non-disclosure agreements.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 24th 2018 at 7:13 pm. Reason: edited acronym
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pun intended?
Naturally. Some work colleagues wanted to go and being open-minded enough I was persuaded. I found it a really really really strange and naf. Girls would randomly burst into cheers and dance on tables to try and distract you from how creepy the underlying intention of the place was.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Naturally. Some work colleagues wanted to go and being open-minded enough I was persuaded, I found it a really really really strange and naf. Girls would randomly burst into cheers and dance on tables to try and distract you from how creepy the underlying intention of the place was.
TBH, I even find that at Earls in Canada, with all the flirtatious young women in eye-catching outfits. It seems like such a charade, I can see why the girls do it (tips) but not why the old guys delude themselves.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
TBH, I even find that at Earls in Canada, with all the flirtatious young women in eye-catching outfits. It seems like such a charade, I can see why the girls do it (tips) but not why the old guys delude themselves.
Exactly. There was a perceptible desperation in the guys skewed gaze and girls overzealous jumping. Not too mention the food and beer were subpar - which was inexcusable. I agree many girls use it to their advantage - but that's hardly a fair criticism as you work with what you've got.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 6:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I don't think anyone condones such behavior, but simply one cant just wish the world to be different, maybe the narrative is being re-written but until it is the world is what it is. Taking a job at a male-only event and having to wear prescribed knickers should have raised some questions as to what was likely to occur, as well as non-disclosure agreements.
Seriously? You're saying that men are guaranteed to assault women given the opportunity? That women wearing matching knickers is likely to make this happen? That signing a non disclosure agreement indicates that something illegal/immoral/offensive is going to happen?

What about other bad behaviour should we just accept that that is going to happen too?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Seriously? You're saying that men are guaranteed to assault women given the opportunity? That women wearing matching knickers is likely to make this happen? That signing a non disclosure agreement indicates that something illegal/immoral/offensive is going to happen?

What about other bad behaviour should we just accept that that is going to happen too?
. There's also the fact that any of the hostesses using the toilet were timed by a bouncer waiting outside, and if they were in there (probably escaping) for too long they were "brought back out". That their phones were taken from them before the event started too, it all smacks of trapping them there.

I used to dance, and in competitions used to have to wear matching knickers, I always assumed it was to stop them showing through, not that I was handing out invitations to be groped.

The ONLY time a woman (or man) is "asking for it", or should expect anything sexual to happen is if she or he has given their explicit, uncoerced consent, and that they were in sound enough mind and of an age to give consent.

All this nonsense about what did they expect is rage inducing.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

There is a difference between condoning an event and feeling that the people who attend the event should have a reasonable expectation of what is going to happen when they do. I don't, for example, support dog fighting but I'd have little sympathy for someone who went to a dog fight and then complained of being exposed to animal cruelty and gambling.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Naturally. Some work colleagues wanted to go and being open-minded enough I was persuaded. I found it a really really really strange and naf. Girls would randomly burst into cheers and dance on tables to try and distract you from how creepy the underlying intention of the place was.
I'm certain that James M would agree with that.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
. There's also the fact that any of the hostesses using the toilet were timed by a bouncer waiting outside, and if they were in there (probably escaping) for too long they were "brought back out". That their phones were taken from them before the event started too, it all smacks of trapping them there.

I used to dance, and in competitions used to have to wear matching knickers, I always assumed it was to stop them showing through, not that I was handing out invitations to be groped.

The ONLY time a woman (or man) is "asking for it", or should expect anything sexual to happen is if she or he has given their explicit, uncoerced consent, and that they were in sound enough mind and of an age to give consent.

All this nonsense about what did they expect is rage inducing.
Well the Presidents Club is no more, the publicity has closed it down, and rightly so.
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/presidents...172400404.html
Old Jan 24th 2018, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Robin Camp, the Canadian Judge that you have likely heard of due to the poor reporting about what went on at the trial when he allegedly asked the assailed why she couldn't keep her legs together, questioned the crown prosecutor in great detail about what explicit consent was.

I'd be interested as to what you believe is required, let's say, between a couple that have been together for 2 years.

We know that, in Canada, the law states that no consent is given unless one party asks the other for explicit consent and the other replies "yes" but I'd suggest that, in reality, more often than not, that doesn't happen. In all such circumstances, do you believe that a sexual assault has occurred?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Robin Camp, the Canadian Judge that you have likely heard of due to the poor reporting about what went on at the trial when he allegedly asked the assailed why she couldn't keep her legs together, questioned the crown prosecutor in great detail about what explicit consent was.

I'd be interested as to what you believe is required, let's say, between a couple that have been together for 2 years.

We know that, in Canada, the law states that no consent is given unless one party asks the other for explicit consent and the other replies "yes" but I'd suggest that, in reality, more often than not, that doesn't happen. In all such circumstances, do you believe that a sexual assault has occurred?
Such tosh. Firstly, many women (and men) in long-term relationships are forced into having sex by their partner against their wishes. Secondly, there is a difference between being sexually receptive and saying NO or pushing away the advances, or stating that "you're not in the mood or tired". There are many sex pests who pursue their partners into having sex despite such indications and that is where it constitutes assault. I'm sure many people are guilty of that. Just because someone is married or in a long-term relationship does not give anyone a right to their partner's body. They might tolerate such behaviour or it might eventually get them in the mood, but that does not make it right in the moment and to force oneself upon someone is not only selfish but wrong. You should have clear indications of when your partner is sexually receptive or at least you'd hope to have a clue by then, especially if you've been together as long as 2 years. Personally, I make sure my partner is enjoying the experience before erm persevering... but i guess we can't all be givers.

Last edited by Verdant; Jan 24th 2018 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Such tosh. Firstly, many women (and men) in long-term relationships are forced into having sex by their partner against their wishes. Secondly, there is a difference between being sexually receptive and saying NO or pushing away the advances, or stating that "you're not in the mood or tired". There are many sex pests who pursue their partners into having sex despite such indications and that is where it constitutes assault. I'm sure many people are guilty of that. Just because someone is married or in a long-term relationship does not give anyone a right to their partner's body. They might tolerate such behaviour or it might eventually get them in the mood, but that does not make it right in the moment and to force oneself upon someone is not only selfish but wrong. You should have clear indications of when your partner is sexually receptive or at least you'd hope to have a clue by then, especially if you've been together as long as 2 years. Personally, I make sure my partner is enjoying the experience before erm persevering... but i guess we can't all be givers.
Whether you like it or not, explicit and continuing consent is required in Canada. So, for example, kissing, which is then reciprocated is not consent to, for example, removing clothes and touching bare skin. If no pushing back occurs, kissing nipples, without objection, is not consent. Moving on to penetration, without explicit consent, is not consent either.

One cannot assume consent merely from lack of objection so, in each of those occasions, the party doing the touching is committing a sexual assault. Judge Camp asked, when should the Affidavit giving consent be signed? and the Crown prosecutor had no answer for him.

In other words, in theory, one must ask, can I kiss you, can I undress you, can I fondle your breasts, can I penetrate you and one must receive a position "yes" to each of those failing which, in Canada, it is sexual assault. The person having the act done to them does not have to object, the onus is on the person performing the act to obtain express consent.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Does the order matter?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There is a difference between condoning an event and feeling that the people who attend the event should have a reasonable expectation of what is going to happen when they do. I don't, for example, support dog fighting but I'd have little sympathy for someone who went to a dog fight and then complained of being exposed to animal cruelty and gambling.
What is a reasonable expectation of a group of men?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Theoretically yes. Unless you have expressly asked, how do you know for sure your partner is consenting and hasn't felt coerced or outright forced into it? Wouldn't you always want to make sure your partner is consenting?! I don't think how long, or not a couple has been together makes the slightest bit of difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.