Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with people?

What is wrong with people?

Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with people?

I see that GOSH are distancing themselves from it and returning all monies that have been given in the past, they do not want to be associated with such events.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

OH bats, I had such a loooong list in response to thread title but the actual topic, and some of the responses on this thread make such depressing reading It's as if some have not evolved beyond Shard's profile pic. Sigh.

Originally Posted by ecokid
Thankfully times are clearly changing. I wouldn't want my daughters or sons to think being objectified is an acceptable human experience to have at work, especially in such graphic terms as the ones described. By the same logic, you could argue that modern-slavery isnt dehumanising just because for some people it is part of their human experience. It can be an abuse of power of those involved at the expense of the person employed. Just because it has been a "flavour" of life in the past doesn't mean that it's right, considering that most of our interactions are social constructs based on what is considered acceptable in society at the time. That acceptability is fluid and does change over time.
^Well said.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:44 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully times are clearly changing. I wouldn't want my daughters or sons to think being objectified is an acceptable human experience to have at work, especially in such graphic terms as the ones described. By the same logic, you could argue that modern-slavery isnt dehumanising just because for some people it is part of their human experience. It can be an abuse of power of those involved at the expense of the person employed. Just because it has been a "flavour" of life in the past doesn't mean that it's right, considering that most of our interactions are social constructs based on what is considered acceptable in society at the time. That acceptability is fluid and does change over time.
The difference with slavery is that it is non-volitional. My point was that some individuals choose a different form of human experience.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A large proportion of these men must also have daughters and would more than likely be horrified and presumably, litigatious should their children be subjected to such treatment? It boggles the mind, really.
I think that, if one of my daughters were to apply for a job as a hostess there, we'd have much the same conversation as when one applied for a job at Hooters.

"Men are pigs, you know"

<rolls eyes> "I'm a lifeguard. What do you think hasn't happened already?"

Digression into discussion of dealing with "inappropriate costumes".

I don't say that people should be groped at work. I do say that someone signing up for a job where the required colour and format of knickers is specified should not expect better.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 24th 2018 at 2:59 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think that, if one of my daughters were to apply for a job as a hostess there, we'd have much the same conversation as when one applied for a job at Hooters.

"Men are pigs, you know"

I don't say that people should be groped at work. I do say that someone signing up for a job where the required colour and format of knickers is specified should not expect better.
Yes, this is pretty much my view.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Here we are:

Presidents Club: Scandal-hit charity dinner organiser quits post - BBC News

The hostesses were made to sign a 5 page non-disclosure agreement.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:12 pm
Yo

[QUOTE=JamesM;12426607]

The hostesses "were made" to sign a 5 page non-disclosure agreement.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

"Men are pigs, you know"

Assuming you had the required income level, would you attend? If you did, how would you behave? Not personal. Just wondering. So much of the response to this seems to be 'well what were the women expecting?'. Why shouldn't better be expected of men?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:34 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

"Men are pigs, you know"

Depending on the lighting non black knickers can show through a black dress which makes the specification a design choice. Even if it wasn't what you wear does not indicate consent to pussy grabbing.

Last edited by bats; Jan 24th 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 3:47 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by bats
Even if it wasn't what you wear does not indicate consent to pussy grabbing.
But wasn't it the President's Club?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

"Men are pigs, you know"

Interesting that you pointed hooters out - massively flopped over here. It was seen as naf.

Excusing men for their apparent inability to control themselves is condoning such behaviour. As a bloke btw, I think we're better than that. I've never felt it was necessary to go say sexual stuff to somebody while they're working. It's not only inappropriate but freaking weird and desperate >snip<.

Being ogled at is one thing, having unsolicited lewd comments or someone exposing themselves in front of you, is quite another. There is nothing inherent in a hostess' role that makes it objectively 'OK' for the above to happen. Equally, a stripper agreeing to get naked in exchange for money isn't agreeing to physical contact, but punters often think that they're entitled to that and step over that line. Sure there's a risk of that happening, which is why strip clubs often remind punters of what's acceptable/unacceptable. Some strip joints don't and they're failing their duties to those women and men working there.

Blaming the outcome as a result of the choice of clothing is the same argument used in defense of harassment or rape of a woman dressed provocatively on a night out and one which is an old internalised social narrative that proportions blame and responsibility largely at the feet of the woman. Seeing some old sods defending such an argument is really sad. Thankfully the narrative is being rewritten whether you like it or not.

Just because they're happy to wear something risque (because it makes them feel sexy and as something considered fashionable and who may or may not be looking to attract someone), does not mean they resign their rights as a human to be treated with respect and fairness.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 24th 2018 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Please stop using acronym profanities. BE is not the place for them - site rule 2. . Thank you.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Depending on the lighting non black knockers can show through a black dress which makes the specification a design choice. Even if it wasn't what you wear does not indicate consent to pussy grabbing.
I completely agree. Absolutely revolting behaviour. Yet again such a shame that all the "they were naieve, they were asking for it, they got paid what's the problem" comments are coming out from whichever rock their voicers live under. Some of the comments on t'web are so depressing.

I notice in the pamphlet given to attendees it requested that the didn't sexually harass anyone while at the event. Nice. People shouldn't have to be asked not to sexually harass!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Assuming you had the required income level, would you attend? If you did, how would you behave?
No. That sort of event is part of corporate life here, at least among the cradles, I avoid going.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Shard
But wasn't it the President's Club?
Ha!

I think there's a serious point here though. The President behaves in a manner that would previously not have been acceptable. I think it likely that his conduct will, in due course, cause a shift in social mores so as to make it more acceptable than it might have been a decade ago.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 5:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Interesting that you pointed hooters out - massively flopped over here. It was seen as naf.
Pun intended?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.