Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What would you truly love to tell Canadians but you can't..........

What would you truly love to tell Canadians but you can't..........

Old May 20th 2010, 1:36 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you truly love to tell Canadians but you can't..........

Originally Posted by dbd33
Did you not claim to want a light American beer with a hint of racism about it?
Sorry blonde moment, yes ok to some the Coors lite is piss to some, but the racism? I don't think so. I merely pointed out there is more to England than London, just like there is more to Canada than just Toronto.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Coors has strong ties to the KKK.

http://www.corporations.org/coors/article.html

As well as being weak piss.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd say to the mullet wearing buggers:

"How very dare you not conform to British way of thinking, history, dialect, language, word usage, driving, food stuffs, fashion, architecture, mannerisms, mentality, business process, laws, etc. Just because you're a different country to the UK, thousands of miles away, with historical differences, it doesn't mean you can just do things differently to the British."

Phew. Glad i got that off my chest.

Of course they can do things differently to the British. If not what's the point of living in Canada, or anywhere else.
Old May 20th 2010, 2:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
But you DO have an accent! (usually wanted to be said in response to everyone who tells me I have a really cute accent and how they would LOVE to have an accent...)

I DO tell them they have an accent when I get that comment.
Old May 20th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I DO tell them they have an accent when I get that comment.
do you think it is sexy?
Old May 20th 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The ones I know would think that but be too non confrontational to say it.

I tend to agree. In spite of my mutterings about life in Canada on here I try not to criticise the place to Canadians and I try to learn the language. In my job it's important that the customers understand.
Most Canadians are non-confrontational, they just like to spout off...wonder how they'd deal with spouting off like they do in England...Mmmm
Old May 20th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Wolverione from X-Men is Canadian, and he doesn't mind confrontation!
Old May 20th 2010, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Well, Wolverione from X-Men is Canadian, and he doesn't mind confrontation!
..nice one
Old May 20th 2010, 9:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd say to the mullet wearing buggers:

"How very dare you not conform to British way of thinking, history, dialect, language, word usage, driving, food stuffs, fashion, architecture, mannerisms, mentality, business process, laws, etc. Just because you're a different country to the UK, thousands of miles away, with historical differences, it doesn't mean you can just do things differently to the British."

Phew. Glad i got that off my chest.
Originally Posted by StefkeUK
Of course they can do things differently to the British. If not what's the point of living in Canada, or anywhere else.
I think you miss my point

Old May 20th 2010, 11:49 am
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Well, Coors has strong ties to the KKK.

http://www.corporations.org/coors/article.html

As well as being weak piss.
I like weak piss, however I do not like the contents of that article, best find another drink.....Thanks for the heads up.....
Old May 20th 2010, 11:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clematis
Sorry blonde moment, yes ok to some the Coors lite is piss to some, but the racism? I don't think so. I merely pointed out there is more to England than London, just like there is more to Canada than just Toronto.
The Coors brewery has a history of questionable hiring practises and is now, perhaps unfairly, associated with discrimination against African-Americans. Drinking Coors is symbolic in the manner of having red laces in your Docs or flying a St. George's flag. At least, it is in the US, and it is, of course, an American beer. Quite why anyone in Canada should be drinking Coors Lite is a mystery, can you not get English beers where you are?

(Writtten before yours above, nevermind).

Last edited by dbd33; May 20th 2010 at 11:50 am. Reason: Timing
Old May 20th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Drinking Coors is symbolic in the manner of having red laces in your Docs or flying a St. George's flag.
I would have thought that someone of your intelligence would have failed to fall for that crap. It looks like the BNP have won.

I can see nothing racist at all with flying England`s national flag.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I can see nothing racist at all with flying England`s national flag.
Stick your head in the sand then. Actions and objects take on different meanings over time and what counts is the inference commonly drawn from them, that you refuse to acknowledge the symbolism of specific act doesn't change the meaning that the act now has.

Specifically as regards the flag, if you're not at an international football match and you're not seeking a fight with the neighbours, what reason would there be for flying it?

Last edited by dbd33; May 20th 2010 at 1:49 pm.
Old May 20th 2010, 1:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Stick your head in the sand then. Actions and objects take on different meanings over time and what counts is the inference commonly drawn from them, that you refuse to acknowledge the symbolism of specific act doesn't change the meaning that the act now has.
I think it's you who's being a bit anachronistic now, dbd. Sure, maybe 10 years or so ago there was a bit of a NF/BNP overtone to the St George's Cross. The Royal British Legion, cricket, football and rugby union supporters (and the sports' governing bodies), and various other organizations have worked hard and on the whole very successfully to "reclaim" the flag. I don't think anybody seriously equates flying the English flag to support for neo-nazi organizations any more.

Last edited by Oakvillian; May 20th 2010 at 1:52 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 20th 2010, 1:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I think it's you who'se being a bit anachronistic now, dbd. Sure, maybe 10 years or so ago there was a bit of a NF/BNP overtone to the St George's Cross. The Royal British Legion, cricket, football and rugby union supporters (and the sports' governing bodies), and various other organizations have worked hard and on the whole very successfully to "reclaim" the flag. I don't think anybody seriously equates flying the English flag to support for neo-nazi organizations any more.
"reclaim" certainly needs the quotes, that flag wasn't something I saw as a kid, I first heard of it in connection with the National Front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.