Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what will the lady decide?

what will the lady decide?

Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what will the lady decide?

Originally Posted by GavinR
I'm not sure that a stimulus package is going to do much anyway, look at the US, doesn't seem to be having much effect there.
Exactly, I feel it has far more to do with what you stimulate and when rather than 'how much'

For example I believe its pointeless throwing money at the Canadian Auto Industry (and all that entails) until the US Congress decides what they are going to do....to do so now would keep the left happy I am sure but be an expensive and pointless exercise until more is known re any bail out by the americans of the 'Big three'.

The current political situation is a farce however, the decision by the GG yesterday is probably the best one in the circumstances.

So the next time a Canadian government threatens to pull politicians fingers out of the "taxpayers' cookie jar"...(shades of "we are entitled to our entitlements ") get ready for the dummy to be spat once more...and more self serving interests will one more come to the fore! As I said, a farcical situation that the International community is quite rightly shaking their collective heads in bewilderment at! (as are many Candaidians)
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
As I said, a farcical situation that the International community is quite rightly shaking their collective heads in bewilderment at!
Do you have examples of, say, Africans or Asians being unusually bewildered by Canadian politics of late? I suspect they pay very little attention.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you have examples of, say, Africans or Asians being unusually bewildered by Canadian politics of late? I suspect they pay very little attention.
I should have added 'western world'...I thought that was a given......though we do seem to be sliding into a third world democracy......or that of a Bannana Republic.

Last edited by macadian; Dec 5th 2008 at 2:29 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I should have added 'western world'...I thought that was a given......though we do seem to be sliding into a third world democracy......or that of a Bannana Republic.
Americans then, is there any reason to think Americans are more bewildered by Canadian politics this year than last?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Americans then, is there any reason to think Americans are more bewildered by Canadian politics this year than last?
Many things bewilder americans...so yes, probably...
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

She made the right decision. Let cool heads prevail. The reason to save the economy was a red herring, it was soley because of a cut in party fundings as to why they wanted to bring the government down.

I would be very surprised if the coalition is still together by the time parliament resumes in january.

Last edited by Spongebob; Dec 8th 2008 at 2:52 am.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:53 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spongebob
She made the right decision. Let cool heads prevail. There was no urgent rush to save the economy, it was soley because of a cut in party fundings. Thats the real reason they wanted to bring the government down.

I would be very surprised if the coalition is still together by the time parliament resumes in january.
That may have been one of the triggers but most certainly wasn't the only reason.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That may have been one of the triggers but most certainly wasn't the only reason.
I think it was the biggest trigger, and not promoted by the other parties since it would come across as a purely political move for the interest of keeping the war chests full and not for helping out the economy.

The economy wasnt going to collapse in 1 month, they needed GG decision to go there way to keep the momentum going. Now that the brakes are on the coalition is starting to crack.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 3:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spongebob
I think it was the biggest trigger, and not promoted by the other parties since it would come across as a purely political move for the interest of keeping the war chests full and not for helping out the economy.

The economy wasnt going to collapse in 1 month, they needed GG decision to go there way to keep the momentum going. Now that the brakes are on the coalition is starting to crack.
The Liberals have no war chest they are so broke it's not even funny.

Harper saw an opportunity to cripple the opposition and took it not expecting the reaction he got.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The Liberals have no war chest they are so broke it's not even funny.

Harper saw an opportunity to cripple the opposition and took it not expecting the reaction he got.

The Bloc and the liberals do terrible in personal donations whilst the Conservatives the NDP and the Greens do just fine. The liberals and Bloc lack of donations are its own doing. Why should an unpopular party be propped up by the taxpayer.