Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is trans acceptable

What is trans acceptable

Old Jun 17th 2015, 11:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is trans acceptable

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Not in NS. Each province is different.
its Federal
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11.../1100100032378

Each band can chose to do what they want with their funds. They can also chose who is a member of that band and allocate their funds but this is different to being a Status Indian.

Frequently Asked Questions | Government of Nova Scotia
Old Jun 18th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
its Federal
https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11.../1100100032378

Each band can chose to do what they want with their funds. They can also chose who is a member of that band and allocate their funds but this is different to being a Status Indian.

Frequently Asked Questions | Government of Nova Scotia
Well that's different to what I was told but I am pleasantly surprised as I did think it was open to abuse...thanks for the info
Old Jun 19th 2015, 12:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... The closest I have come is meeting those who want to cash in on their 1/100th drop of First Nation blood which means they can claim status and get lots of hand outs... (In NS anyway).
Well that's different to what I was told but I am pleasantly surprised
There is a common misconception amongst the redder necks that Indians get all sorts of free stuff. It is not true. There are all sorts of special programs for status Indians who live on reserve but, at best, they replicate the programs that are available to everyone else.

Indians that live off reserve pay the same taxes and get the same benefits as you and me.

One of my clients fought for years to be registered as an Indian despite the fact they live and run a business off reserve. They get no benefit from being a status Indian but, as they said, their heritage has been restored.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is a common misconception amongst the redder necks that Indians get all sorts of free stuff. It is not true. There are all sorts of special programs for status Indians who live on reserve but, at best, they replicate the programs that are available to everyone else.

Indians that live off reserve pay the same taxes and get the same benefits as you and me.

One of my clients fought for years to be registered as an Indian despite the fact they live and run a business off reserve. They get no benefit from being a status Indian but, as they said, their heritage has been restored.
As mentioned previously there seems to be a huge difference between provinces... When I was in NS I spoke to a woman whose family lived in Saskatchuan. To be deemed Indian/First Nations there you had to actually live on a Reserve. In NS you seem to be able to claim status for just having a grand parent who was First Nations...that or the whole of NS has got it wrong! lol
Old Jun 19th 2015, 5:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned previously there seems to be a huge difference between provinces... When I was in NS I spoke to a woman whose family lived in Saskatchuan. To be deemed Indian/First Nations there you had to actually live on a Reserve. In NS you seem to be able to claim status for just having a grand parent who was First Nations...that or the whole of NS has got it wrong! lol
I thought Native Status was federal thing and would be the same across Canada?

I have status in a tribe in the US, I'd have to go live on reservation to get any benefit from it, although I can get some educational benefits off reservation but not much else.

Other then the occasional letter updating me on the goings of the reservation, I have no actual participation nor do I identify as native although legally and technically I can with the blessing of the tribe since they are the one's who set the rules down there for who is and isn't recognized member of their tribe.

I have a citizenship card out of it though, no idea of what blood level, it's been a few generations now.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I thought Native Status was federal thing and would be the same across Canada?

I have status in a tribe in the US, I'd have to go live on reservation to get any benefit from it, although I can get some educational benefits off reservation but not much else.

Other then the occasional letter updating me on the goings of the reservation, I have no actual participation nor do I identify as native although legally and technically I can with the blessing of the tribe since they are the one's who set the rules down there for who is and isn't recognized member of their tribe.

I have a citizenship card out of it though, no idea of what blood level, it's been a few generations now.
I don't the whole story. All I know is that there are differences between the Provinces. I got this from a woman who is of First Nations decent, not too dilute either to look at her. She said to me that she was from SK and there you have to live the lifestyle to get status whereas in NS you only had to prove your ancestry. She had researched this...maybe she was wrong but she wasn't the only person to tell me how easy it was to obtain in NS.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 11:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I don't the whole story. All I know is that there are differences between the Provinces. I got this from a woman who is of First Nations decent, not too dilute either to look at her. She said to me that she was from SK and there you have to live the lifestyle to get status whereas in NS you only had to prove your ancestry. She had researched this...maybe she was wrong but she wasn't the only person to tell me how easy it was to obtain in NS.
There isn't a provincial difference for Status Indian. It's Federal, restrictive, and rather patronizing.

Any Band however can make its own decisions over who it accept as a Band member. Once a Band member you can then claim monies, funding from that band. This is not the same as Federally dispensed recognition and monies.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a provincial difference for Status Indian. It's Federal, restrictive, and rather patronizing.

Any Band however can make its own decisions over who it accept as a Band member. Once a Band member you can then claim monies, funding from that band. This is not the same as Federally dispensed recognition and monies.
And the chief will decide whether you deserve it or whether he needs a new pick up.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
And the chief will decide whether you deserve it or whether he needs a new pick up.
OK well tell that to the people I knew in NS who managed to get it then!