Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What not to do in minus 40

What not to do in minus 40

Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What not to do in minus 40

Originally Posted by Morwenna
When I got back from work I took a snow shovel and cleared a square of back lawn, which she has used with enthusiasm ever since!
Ah, dedication to the cause. I like it
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly
The door had frozen into the pool of water and it nearly ripped the door off its hinges. Oppsss !!!
Ooops indeed
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

This is "an oldie but a goodie" .......

My colleague has a young boy of about 5 yrs old I think. Yesterday he said to his dad "Little boys should not put their tongues on metal posts!"

"Who did that? Did you do that??" asks dad.

Little lad denies it emphatically ...."I was just saying .... little boys shouldn't do that" he explained.

"Show me your tongue!" says dad. "what are those red sore-looking patches on your tongue then?"

"Nothing!" insists the boy," but little boys shouldn't do that!"
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:12 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Grah, your lucky! Mine dragged me through the snow drifts and kept looking back as if to say, hurry up, we've got a long way to go, and it's cold, but lets not take any shortcuts, I need to see who else has been out and about!
But Piff poff yours had his fur coat on. Probably the first time he wasn't hot all day.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:52 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
But Piff poff yours had his fur coat on. Probably the first time he wasn't hot all day.
Now it's warmed up a little, he is happy to stay out for ages
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
OK the transition between minus 25 (bearable) and minus 35 and below is a harsh one - this is for those just on their way out here.

A couple of pointers from a dumb ass blonde who didn't realise just how quick it can get you.

Yesterday I got back from work and decided to shovel the drive and path - temp at that time minus 35. Didn't feel that cold as I was dressed up like a snowman however only had on my suede work gloves (not the thinsulate superduper ones I bought for this very purpose). The old guy next door came running out "Get inside young lady you'll freeze doing that in this weather" "no" says I wanting to be all Canadian.

Anyway - I thought - don't see the problem I can't even feel the cold in my hands

HOLY F**K I actually can't even feel my hands, i'd only been out there 5 mins, went running back inside and it was the scariest feeling, I couldn't even feel them getting cold let alone about to drop off - it took 10 mins to regain feeling.

Lesson 1 - Don't be a t**t and wear the right clothes.

Also don't wash your hair, part dry it, and then go outside for a ciggie in these temps either (me also last night) the parts that weren't quite dry froze solid in again 5 mins.

Lesson 2 - Don't be blonde or it'll all fall off and you won't be anything.

Scary stuff these temps, just be sensible.
serious advice but still
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Morwenna
This is "an oldie but a goodie" .......

My colleague has a young boy of about 5 yrs old I think. Yesterday he said to his dad "Little boys should not put their tongues on metal posts!"

"Who did that? Did you do that??" asks dad.

Little lad denies it emphatically ...."I was just saying .... little boys shouldn't do that" he explained.

"Show me your tongue!" says dad. "what are those red sore-looking patches on your tongue then?"

"Nothing!" insists the boy," but little boys shouldn't do that!"

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:21 am
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Perhaps some of the (male) instances of ill-advised behaviour in -40 is not to do with silliness, but good ol' macho pride. They may be freezing their arses off, with possible risk of frostbite, but gosh darn it, they've got their pride ...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by edsask
Perhaps some of the (male) instances of ill-advised behaviour in -40 is not to do with silliness, but good ol' macho pride. They may be freezing their arses off, with possible risk of frostbite, but gosh darn it, they've got their pride ...
Thought that was going to be a post about freezing pee for a minute! :P

*whistles*
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andthen
Thought that was going to be a post about freezing pee for a minute! :P

*whistles*
think you'd be doing more than whistling if your pee froze on the job. now that gota hurt
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
OK the transition between minus 25 (bearable) and minus 35 and below is a harsh one - this is for those just on their way out here.

A couple of pointers from a dumb ass blonde who didn't realise just how quick it can get you.

Yesterday I got back from work and decided to shovel the drive and path - temp at that time minus 35. Didn't feel that cold as I was dressed up like a snowman however only had on my suede work gloves (not the thinsulate superduper ones I bought for this very purpose). The old guy next door came running out "Get inside young lady you'll freeze doing that in this weather" "no" says I wanting to be all Canadian.

Anyway - I thought - don't see the problem I can't even feel the cold in my hands

HOLY F**K I actually can't even feel my hands, i'd only been out there 5 mins, went running back inside and it was the scariest feeling, I couldn't even feel them getting cold let alone about to drop off - it took 10 mins to regain feeling.

Lesson 1 - Don't be a t**t and wear the right clothes.

Also don't wash your hair, part dry it, and then go outside for a ciggie in these temps either (me also last night) the parts that weren't quite dry froze solid in again 5 mins.

Lesson 2 - Don't be blonde or it'll all fall off and you won't be anything.

Scary stuff these temps, just be sensible.
Last year, I missed a connection on my bus route and got stranded on the side of the road, for 30 minutes in temps of -40. I lost count of the number of people who honked their horns and shouted that I shouldn't be standing out in those temperatures! Not one stopped however, even one of my neighbours ( a military police man off duty) drove passed honking
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charlie1
Last year, I missed a connection on my bus route and got stranded on the side of the road, for 30 minutes in temps of -40. I lost count of the number of people who honked their horns and shouted that I shouldn't be standing out in those temperatures! Not one stopped however, even one of my neighbours ( a military police man off duty) drove passed honking
thought canadians were suposed to be helpful? oh yes told you you shouldnt stand in the cold