Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What I just encountered on my half hour break

What I just encountered on my half hour break

Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:07 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I just encountered on my half hour break

Originally Posted by Gremmie
And Brits are courteous and i bet you are just so perfect on the road too
Yep! I am!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:08 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Nah - all other drivers are dinks. Some are bigger dinks than others though.

My driving instructor(ess) gave me this bit of advice: "Remember that all the other drivers on the road are idiots." I can only now, after 23 years, appreciate the subtle sarcasm in that statement.

My driving instructor said exactly the same thing
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
So, driving along and I let a car out of a side road infront of me, got no thank you.
Parked at bank. Started reversing out there was no one around, proceeded to do so. Car came along, squeezed behind me, beeped cos I didn't see him and carried on. Why didn't he stop and wait for me to finish reversing?
Pulling out of car park onto busy road, had to cut accross lane to get into right direction. No cars on near lane so started edging out to middle. Lorry came along on near lane and beeped me for being to far out in road. Why didn't he stop to let me cut accross?

I think Canadian drivers are so damn discourteous!

Rant over!
Maybe the last time they let someone out they did not wave thank you, so thought bugger that and kept going?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I just drove 5 minutes to the bank and back on my lunch (lazy I know, but I was going to drive further to the park and eat lunch but too much traffic).

So, driving along and I let a car out of a side road infront of me, got no thank you.
Parked at bank. Started reversing out there was no one around, proceeded to do so. Car came along, squeezed behind me, beeped cos I didn't see him and carried on. Why didn't he stop and wait for me to finish reversing?
Pulling out of car park onto busy road, had to cut accross lane to get into right direction. No cars on near lane so started edging out to middle. Lorry came along on near lane and beeped me for being to far out in road. Why didn't he stop to let me cut accross?

Rant over!
Most of this is trivial (except a couple of oddities: how slowly were you reversing out of a parking space if a car can come along out of nowhere and have time to squeeze behind you? Why did you not reverse into the parking space in the first place?) but the thing with the truck is a discourtesy on your part, rather than his.

Have you any idea how much momentum is behind a truck, and how much effort is required to get up to speed again after you're forced to stop by some numpty half way into the carriageway?

I'm not a trucker, but having had some instruction in HGV many years ago I like to think I have some sympathy for what they have to put up with on the road. When you're driving something that big and heavy, decisions have to be made a lot longer in advance, stopping distances are much, much longer... not meant as a rant at you, but just my $0.02 that it may be worth looking at this from the other side of the windscreen.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 10:28 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Have you any idea how much momentum is behind a truck, and how much effort is required to get up to speed again after you're forced to stop by some numpty half way into the carriageway?

I'm not a trucker, but having had some instruction in HGV many years ago I like to think I have some sympathy for what they have to put up with on the road. When you're driving something that big and heavy, decisions have to be made a lot longer in advance, stopping distances are much, much longer... not meant as a rant at you, but just my $0.02 that it may be worth looking at this from the other side of the windscreen.
+1

Not quite on the same scale, but my truck/boat rig is almost 50ft long and I was badly cut up last night on the steepest incline out of the city - I dropped from 90kph to 45 and spent the next few kms cursing the idiot that seemed oblivious to what he'd done and trying to regain a sensible highway speed.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:22 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Most of this is trivial (except a couple of oddities: how slowly were you reversing out of a parking space if a car can come along out of nowhere and have time to squeeze behind you? Why did you not reverse into the parking space in the first place?) but the thing with the truck is a discourtesy on your part, rather than his.

No I didn't reverse into the parking space, and maybe I did reverse slow but I know when I see someone reversing out I stop until they're done. Why do people beep and try to squeeze through when they can see you're reversing out???

Yes, I understand about truckers too, I use to work in a warehouse and use to listen to all the lorry drivers stories when they came back from a trip.
The thing is, I was pulling onto a long straight road and the truck driver saw me from quite a way back, so didn't exactly have to 'slam on his brakes'.

Anyway, bored now
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

No I didn't reverse into the parking space, and maybe I did reverse slow but I know when I see someone reversing out I stop until they're done.
Why do people beep and try to squeeze through when they can see you're reversing out???
Yes, I understand about truckers too, I use to work in a warehouse and use to listen to all the lorry drivers stories when they came back from a trip.
The thing is, I was pulling onto a long straight road and the truck driver saw me from quite a way back, so didn't exactly have to 'slam on his brakes'.

Anyway, bored now
umm Because it's their right of way - because you are in the wrong - because you are pulling out in front of them and you have the nerve to get mad, I think more of a "Sorry, I'm an idiot" wave to the person you cut up would be more appropriate than a "Hey i'm p****d off because you didn't stop to let me out" look on your face.

It msy well be courtesy to let you out - but it isn't the law. If you'd have hit him, you'd have been in trouble - not him.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Get used to it, it only gets worse

Well, I just drove 5 minutes to the bank and back on my lunch (lazy I know, but I was going to drive further to the park and eat lunch but too much traffic).

Rant over!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:07 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
umm Because it's their right of way - because you are in the wrong - because you are pulling out in front of them and you have the nerve to get mad, I think more of a "Sorry, I'm an idiot" wave to the person you cut up would be more appropriate than a "Hey i'm p****d off because you didn't stop to let me out" look on your face.

It msy well be courtesy to let you out - but it isn't the law. If you'd have hit him, you'd have been in trouble - not him.
FFS I did not pull out infront of anyone. There was nobody there when I started reversing out from the f***ing parking space. He/she must have come round the corner as I was reversing. I didn't see the car but they must have seen me. They then squeezed behind me and beeped their f***ing horn instead of waiting for me to finish my reversing!
Yes...I am even more pissed off then when it actually happened because people condemn when they haven't read my post properly!

Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:14 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

FFS I did not pull out infront of anyone. There was nobody there when I started reversing out from the f***ing parking space. He/she must have come round the corner as I was reversing. I didn't see the car but they must have seen me. They then squeezed behind me and beeped their f***ing horn instead of waiting for me to finish my reversing!
Yes...I am even more pissed off then when it actually happened because people condemn when they haven't read my post properly!

snigger - wow even more of a potty mouth than me.

Apologies for being illiterate - but really at the end of the day be it in Canada or not, sh*t happens.

You should maybe go and lie down - your stress level seems quite high today
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:16 am
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
snigger - wow even more of a potty mouth than me.

Apologies for being illiterate - but really at the end of the day be it in Canada or not, sh*t happens.

You should maybe go and lie down - your stress level seems quite high today

lol OK that did make me laugh : )
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:17 am
Sawdust making harpy

lol OK that did make me laugh : )
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:18 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, funny stuff.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, bored now
You brought it up!

If you force someone to change direction or speed then you are not driving with any regard to other road users. They should not have to stop or pull over for you. Whenever you force someone to change direction or speed you may also potentially be forcing them into an accident.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:45 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by triumphguy
You brought it up!

If you force someone to change direction or speed then you are not driving with any regard to other road users. They should not have to stop or pull over for you. Whenever you force someone to change direction or speed you may also potentially be forcing them into an accident.
Tut tut TG, can't you read - see below before the op's head explodes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.