Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What happened to the Maple Leaf...

What happened to the Maple Leaf...

Old May 27th 2018, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happened to the Maple Leaf...

I for one would be sad if BE came to an end.

BE kept me sane when first in Canada as well as helped my family figure out how to even get here.

Its true though that the content is boring of late. Nothing much to chuckle about on here these days. Most of it is the same questions asked in a different way.

Maybe those of us who have been frequenting this forum for many years have outlived its use and should move on to other forums that address our lives where they’re at now?

I would miss you guys though so I’m gonna hang in there a little longer in hope of a joyful thread.
Old May 27th 2018, 2:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
BE kept me sane when first in Canada as well as helped my family figure out how to even get here.

Don't have my glasses on yet, and thought that said "helped my family figure out how to get even here"
Old May 27th 2018, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Its true though that the content is boring of late. Nothing much to chuckle about on here these days. Most of it is the same questions asked in a different way.
I think the questions are more 'Canada' related than Maple Leaf but I also think many of the questions are just as appropriate to both Canada and Maple Leaf. And with new people joining it's reasonable to have the same thing sometimes. I've searched for topics many a time to either find no result when I know damn well the topic has been here or the results are positively overwhelming. And then, even in Canada things don't stand still so answers may have changed anyway.

Perhaps I'm just easily pleased but I like to hear/discuss random acts of kindness, examples of differences between UK and Canada, weather experiences/extremes, social or political issues, examples of frustration, TV/movie stuff (useful to have recommendations and means of viewing) and other things that crop up intermittently.
Old May 27th 2018, 4:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think the questions are more 'Canada' related than Maple Leaf but I also think many of the questions are just as appropriate to both Canada and Maple Leaf. And with new people joining it's reasonable to have the same thing sometimes. I've searched for topics many a time to either find no result when I know damn well the topic has been here or the results are positively overwhelming. And then, even in Canada things don't stand still so answers may have changed anyway.

Perhaps I'm just easily pleased but I like to hear/discuss random acts of kindness, examples of differences between UK and Canada, weather experiences/extremes, social or political issues, examples of frustration, TV/movie stuff (useful to have recommendations and means of viewing) and other things that crop up intermittently.
If questions are Canada related then they belong in the "Canada" forum - not the Maple Leaf.

The Maple Leaf forum is for 'off topic' or discussions on events (such as fires, weather, terrorist/crime etc) and light hearted chatter, rather than a place to ask Canada specific questions such as 'where is a good place to live / get a job / what's Mississauga like / how much income do I need to live in Toronto / Vancouver / Calgary - how do I get a drivers license in Nova Scotia etc.

If you see any that need moving, just let us know! I do try to move posts when I see them - as does christmasoompa

Last edited by Siouxie; May 27th 2018 at 4:24 pm.
Old May 27th 2018, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Don't have my glasses on yet, and thought that said "helped my family figure out how to get even here"
Lol, at times we do want to get even. But maybe in those moments we will keep it quiet and operate in a sleuth like manner so as not to be detected!!
Old May 27th 2018, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If questions are Canada related then they belong in the "Canada" forum - not the Maple Leaf.

The Maple Leaf forum is for 'off topic' or discussions on events (such as fires, weather, terrorist/crime etc) and light hearted chatter, rather than a place to ask Canada specific questions such as 'where is a good place to live / get a job / what's Mississauga like / how much income do I need to live in Toronto / Vancouver / Calgary - how do I get a drivers license in Nova Scotia etc.

If you see any that need moving, just let us know! I do try to move posts when I see them - as does christmasoompa
Bristol should be a moderator.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol should be a moderator.
They don't pay enough.
Old May 28th 2018, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The downside to the internet not being active anymore, every forum/discussion site except for reddit that I frequent has more or less died, this is the most active still, but gone are the days where you could have a day of reading and discussion to pass time and interact with others.

I miss those internet days. Reddit is okay just find it difficult to keep track of discussion.
Old May 29th 2018, 7:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

i usually read/use BE on my slow old iPad 2 which is cantankerous enough at the best of times but with the new stuff it's impossible. It took me 15 minutes of reloading screens and frozen screens, to read this thread then another 15 attempting to post. When the keyboard eventually appears it blocks the quick reply window. So I gave up and fired up the laptop so I could reply. That pretty much sums up why i haven't posted anything lately. That and being away, and playing Words With Friends.
Old May 29th 2018, 8:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You would think that when the did the site revamp they could have added a Karma counter. Reddit has one of those.
Old May 29th 2018, 10:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
You would think that when the did the site revamp they could have added a Karma counter. Reddit has one of those.
And add the points to your nominated store rewards card.
Old May 30th 2018, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
i usually read/use BE on my slow old iPad 2 which is cantankerous enough at the best of times but with the new stuff it's impossible. It took me 15 minutes of reloading screens and frozen screens, to read this thread then another 15 attempting to post. When the keyboard eventually appears it blocks the quick reply window. So I gave up and fired up the laptop so I could reply. That pretty much sums up why i haven't posted anything lately. That and being away, and playing Words With Friends.
You play words with friends? Lol
Old May 30th 2018, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You play words with friends? Lol
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...words&hl=en_GB Judging on the local outrage on their ltest "upgrade", it might be another IB site.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...words&hl=en_GB Judging on the local outrage on their ltest "upgrade", it might be another IB site.
It was supposed to be a joke. Bats and I play together. Although she’s beating me right now so I’m a little miffed!
Old May 30th 2018, 10:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There's an upgrade?

It was supposed to be a joke. Bats and I play together. Although she’s beating me right now so I’m a little miffed!
Losing pitifully to others. it's the luck of the draw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.