Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What is a good salary in Toronto?

What is a good salary in Toronto?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:13 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is a good salary in Toronto?

Originally Posted by iaink
You dont think thats a good salary?
I think its a rather fine salary to earn!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:12 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK, I managed the first half, which could be paraphrased as "country gone to the dogs" and been published in any issue of the Telegraph ever. I spluttered at the use of the phrase "Hogarthian hellholes" a reference to a time before the country came from the dogs and which indicates how much better things are now. It makes a lie of the rest of the piece (at least the first half)

I gave up at

"Interest rates in March reached a 10-year high of 3.1 per cent, one of the fastest among developed nations. House prices -- one of the most inflation-sensitive factors in British household finances -- are excluded from the official method of inflation measurement. If included, the real rate would be close to five per cent.

In a country where the average home costs nearly £200,000($430,000)property owning remains a pipe dream for the poor and an enormous burden for blue-collar families and the middle classes."

I assume he means "highest" and not "fastest". Regardless, this was plainly nonsense at the time it flowed from Mr. Newland's quill pen, the rate of home ownership in the UK was then much higher than in other European countries. In any case, the problems about which he complains have since been remedied, interest rates and house prices have both fallen; he should be happy now. One imagines he's not though, he'll still be writing for some colonial rag railing against the foreigners and the evils of equal opportunity in schools.

Really, if we must have links to the neo-con lackies of Conrad Black at least go for Mark Steyn, he has some wit in his frothings and provides CanCon.
I am way out of touch with home ownership in the UK, i was more interested in the teen pregnancy rates etc, which i have seen elsewhere. Not only that, it seemed to fit with what i saw when i spent 6 weeks in manchester in 2007
Old Jan 27th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Dear Ask a Canadian,

Welcome to BE and thank you for your posts.

I have a couple of questions for you.
(1) Are apples in Toronto cheaper than oranges in London?
(2) In which city, on average, are the pieces of string longer?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shoequeen
THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT!!!!!
If for instance I earned £100K here, what would I have to earn in Canada to have the same lifestyle?
In Vancouver Island or Toronto?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:30 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

deja vu