What do you think?

Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:10 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think?

Originally Posted by Shard
Or it's simply a rural scene, and the people happen to be black. Methinks bats doth protest too much.
Quite right Mr Shard.
These comments betray the attitudes and views of the posters more than they do the assumed purpose of the owner.
What do we actually see in the garden? A small collection of black figurines dressed in summer clothing. The link to slavery is nowhere to be seen. No shackles, no ball and chain, no rags and I'm tempted to ask the question.. 'will all sculptures of black people invoke this response?'
It seems the garden police are alive and well.. even on BE. Perhaps rather than question the mindset of the owner we should ask ourselves just why some of us feel upset by what is shown on the image.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Is this image viewable?

You're not the only one? I haven't seen any of the lawn jockeys for a while and confederate flags have been removed since the Legion fancy dress incident though many still can't see what the fuss was about that. It's a deeply white, old fashioned, conservative, Bible bashing, area. I doubt the intention is racist but it's message is one that sees black people as cute little pickaninnies.
The homeowners probably couldn't give a damn what people passing by think. They may be black people who live here that have been the subject of this shaming through a photo. It all seems like a storm in a tea cup to me without any other information.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Is this image viewable?

You're not the only one? I haven't seen any of the lawn jockeys for a while and confederate flags have been removed since the Legion fancy dress incident though many still can't see what the fuss was about that. It's a deeply white, old fashioned, conservative, Bible bashing, area. I doubt the intention is racist but it's message is one that sees black people as cute little pickaninnies.
I first went to school in the late 1970s in England. I went to school with all different types of people despite the fact that, until I was 12, I went to a Catholic school. We were always taught to respect everyone so I would like to think that I don't see people as white, black, Sikh, Muslim. I simply see people as good, bad, arsehole, etc.

I believe that your views are a generational thing, rather than you being inherently racist. I had no idea what a "lawn boy" was until Dbd33 mentioned it and I had to Google it. I have never seen one.

Maybe you have experienced lots of racism in your life. I have to admit that I haven't. I don't doubt it exists. A lawyer colleague of mine in the UK (who practised criminal law) told me of stories of Court clerks and the like informing him that "he couldn't sit there" assuming that he was the accused, rather than the accused's lawyer.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I drove past this house yesterday. I was appalled that anyone would think these were suitable garden ornaments. Not surprised though.
Have to say if I saw these I would be judging the householders. But then I'm not keen on the jockeys either, and there are plenty at the gates to horse farms around here.

Someone nearby has two dinosaurs (triceratops) , each about the size of our ride-on lawnmower. They definitely make a statement, makes me wonder if their neighbours are creationists.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this image viewable?

Yes, I see the picture now. I suppose I am neither a person of colour nor an angler but I don't see a problem there. Unlike horse holding, fishing doesn't seem to me to imply subservience or, indeed, anything at all. Is there a subtext I'm missing?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
but I don't see a problem there
I am not an angler either, but even I can see they're not going to catch much...
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I am not an angler either, but even I can see they're not going to catch much...
Not in Ontario, the Chinese guys have always got there first.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Not in Ontario, the Chinese guys have always got there first.
So you have an issue with the Chinese do you?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:59 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see the picture now. I suppose I am neither a person of colour nor an angler but I don't see a problem there. Unlike horse holding, fishing doesn't seem to me to imply subservience or, indeed, anything at all. Is there a subtext I'm missing?
The faces, they're blackface. Coalblack, big white eyes, exaggerated lips. .
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Exclamation Re: What do you think?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
So you have an issue with the Chinese do you?
Not especially, but I often see them fishing.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:08 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The faces, they're blackface. Coalblack, big white eyes, exaggerated lips. .
The stuff nightmares are made of.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Better than a yard full of scrap vehicles, metal etc..get over yourselves....
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

x
Originally Posted by macadian
Better than a yard full of scrap vehicles, metal etc..get over yourselves....
Well the location is in your neck on the woods,
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be a case of unthinking crassness vs intentional racism. Go inside and you're sure to find a bunch of crafting shit, and no Klan robes. If it was old folk art or Jim Crow period collectibles there could be another explanation, but nope. And Bats, you're ok, I'd rather have you PC to a fault than racist any day.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I first went to school in the late 1970s in England. I went to school with all different types of people despite the fact that, until I was 12, I went to a Catholic school. We were always taught to respect everyone so I would like to think that I don't see people as white, black, Sikh, Muslim. I simply see people as good, bad, arsehole, etc.

I believe that your views are a generational thing, rather than you being inherently racist. I had no idea what a "lawn boy" was until Dbd33 mentioned it and I had to Google it. I have never seen one.

Maybe you have experienced lots of racism in your life. I have to admit that I haven't. I don't doubt it exists. A lawyer colleague of mine in the UK (who practised criminal law) told me of stories of Court clerks and the like informing him that "he couldn't sit there" assuming that he was the accused, rather than the accused's lawyer.
I think thats a good way of putting it - a generational thing, it was a bit like the golliwog motif being removed from the Robertson's marmalade label, as another form of political correctness.

When i was growing up as a child, no one saw anything wrong with the label, it was just symbol representing Robertson's jam. I think my sister even had one of those dolls! However things have changed over time. As you say its generational.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.