Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you miss from where you came from?

What do you miss from where you came from?

Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss from where you came from?

Blackbirds singing in privet hedges early in the morning.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
OMG. I can't believe it never occurred to me that's the explanation for why John Alderton's teacher (Mr Hedges) in Please Sir was called Privet by the 'kids' of 5C.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
OMG. I can't believe it never occurred to me that's the explanation for why John Alderton's teacher (Mr Hedges) in Please Sir was called Privet by the 'kids' of 5C.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
This place will take care of the 1st two

https://untappd.com/v/the-cheshire-cat/25637

Menu

They often have 1 or 2 on cask but this week seems to be caskless
Great if you live in Ottawa! i even know two great establishments in Toronto....but none in accessible distance for me personally ,and to be fair the bars here are not like the pubs in England, although i did like that Cheshire cat, pity its a 3 and half hour drive away.

British TV is another thing i miss, although Netflix and other streaming methods now take care of that. That said you still miss out on the adverts too. There have been some classics. The best Canadian/North American ad i have ever seen is for Dos Equis....the most interesting man alive...

You could also add to that British international news coverage....way better

That said not enough for me to even contemplate to move back, im pretty sure ill get by with out all that...small price to pay.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:49 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Has anyone thought that maybe Canadians don't do cards like the Brits hence the alleged abysmal selection.
Perhaps Canadians actually do something with whatever the occasion is as opposed to sending a poxy card.

Oh such and such died I will send a card as Im a Brit.

Oh such and such died I will go round or phone them to give them condolences.

See the difference.

Oh and don't bother sending me a card saying you disapprove of my comment
They do send sympathy cards, loads of them, as well as posting online which I find a bit weird.

Cards here are full of twee, kitschy, doggerel that would embarrass me to send. Plain cards and writing your own greetings is the only way to go.

Maybe if Canadians don't send cards as you assert it's because they can't abide the trite globs of sentiment printed inside the cards
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
They do send sympathy cards, loads of them, as well as posting online which I find a bit weird.

Cards here are full of twee, kitschy, doggerel that would embarrass me to send. Plain cards and writing your own greetings is the only way to go.

Maybe if Canadians don't send cards as you assert it's because they can't abide the trite globs of sentiment printed inside the cards
Not sure where you're looking but cards are cards all over the world. Sappy shit is printed inside cards in most countries. Shock, horror! Even in the UK!!

Oh and when I was home in October there were plenty of blank greeting cards available in stores. As a matter of fact, I bought some to bring back to Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 3:13 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not sure where you're looking but cards are cards all over the world. Sappy shit is printed inside cards in most countries. Shock, horror! Even in the UK!!

Oh and when I was home in October there were plenty of blank greeting cards available in stores. As a matter of fact, I bought some to bring back to Australia.
Ok, how about funny ones? If one compares say Moonpig, UK online versus the so called "funny" cards here, there is no competition IMO - similar cards found in the shops in the UK -way less puke making schmaltz
Old Dec 7th 2016, 4:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Ok, how about funny ones? If one compares say Moonpig, UK online versus the so called "funny" cards here, there is no competition IMO - similar cards found in the shops in the UK -way less puke making schmaltz
I don't buy "funny" cards except from Typo. I'm a sarcastic old thing and find the Hallmark type cards too PG for my liking.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 4:36 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy "funny" cards except from Typo. I'm a sarcastic old thing and find the Hallmark type cards too PG for my liking.
I am sure that your tastes could be accommodated
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been into the card thing, really. I used to enjoy looking at the Snoopy/Peanuts ones but I was a fan.

As for work, there was no room to put them up as there was too much work on the desk and the overflow.

The best thing about xmas cards at work was the competition to find the most boring one someone received. Always dangerous because the sender might feel insulted and if you received one it possibly hinted at what the sender thought of you.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there are sappy shit cards in the UK too but here I don't see anything but sappy shit cards. Where am I looking? Well in stores that sell cards, including Hallmark. No problem with blank cards, as I said plain cards are the only way to go.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:08 pm
Oscar nominated

I missed these...until yesterday

Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Of course there are sappy shit cards in the UK too but here I don't see anything but sappy shit cards. Where am I looking? Well in stores that sell cards, including Hallmark. No problem with blank cards, as I said plain cards are the only way to go.
I do wonder about why. I can understand at the extreme end (sarcastic British humour not going down well) but there are plenty of moderate pleasant cards in the UK without getting gushy and sappy, and surely there are people who want to buy that kind of card in Canada...
Old Dec 12th 2016, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I miss that nobody has mentioned on here is a looped walk following footpaths through the countryside. Here it almost always seems to be walk to a place...then walk back along the same path. Boring.

Apart from that, the humour, history and culture in general.

When I was last home, I nipped into a pub. Hardly anybody in but I went and sat by myself in the lounge (they still have the snug, vault, smoke room, lounge layout) with a fantastic pint of beer that wasn't served at freezing point, having had no menu thrust upon me. The barman walked into the room, to the hearth and started up a fire for me. A real coal (well - likely anthracite) fire. It was quite idyllic. That sort of thing does for me too.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:34 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pica
Yes! When I went home I woke up really early with jetlag and loved listening to the birds chirping!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.