Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you miss from the UK? Has anyone else found it?

What do you miss from the UK? Has anyone else found it?

Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Happy2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you miss from the UK? Has anyone else found it?

We were wondering what folks miss from the UK - Specific chocolate bars, tins of food, beers, tv, We wondered what might hit to top of the list. And then has anyone else found that product or service tucked away in a back alley.
We are in Winnipeg and boy do we miss the swinging scene LoL - Yup we do..........

What do you miss?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: What do you miss from the UK? Has anyone else found it?

Bacon and sausages.
That's all.

Oh, and TV is crap over here. If you like CSI, you can fill your boots, but ther's otherwise no variety/originality...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:58 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss from the UK? Has anyone else found it?

Originally Posted by Happy2B
We are in Winnipeg and boy do we miss the swinging scene LoL - Yup we do..........

What do you miss?
As in Wife swapping?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 3:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get over it. Certainly, there are things you will miss, after all many things are different in the UK, not necessarily better or worse, just different. There are a few stores, at least in this part of Canada, that cater to British ExPats but the imported goods can be expensive. Canadians who go to live in the UK miss Kraft Dinner, Cold Beer, cheaper gas (petrol), cheaper larger houses, less expensive appliances and no doubt many other items but they learn to enjoy the pubs, good extensive public transport, wonderful scenery,the history, proximity to Europe, M&S, closeness to the sea and countless other things. Life is full of compromises and you must decide if what you have in Canada is a good compromise vs what you had in the UK.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 4:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously Canada's too cold for dogging in the winter, have you tried the "casual bonking" section of lavalife?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe they are looking for recruits for swinging?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:59 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Maybe they are looking for recruits for swinging?
Well dbd33 has already told them where he advertises
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:46 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

We (meaning kids and myself) miss ready brek and proper bacon
Got told they do back bacon, bought some even though they are in circles and hmmmmmm no its not proper bacon :curse:

I also miss tesco and asda, i knew where everything was and shopping was done quick, even on bad weeks they delivered to my door.
Now im spending my life looking at different foods and thinking hmmmm what can i cook as my lot do not do pre-cooked meals
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:21 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
We (meaning kids and myself) miss ready brek and proper bacon
Got told they do back bacon, bought some even though they are in circles and hmmmmmm no its not proper bacon :curse:

I also miss tesco and asda, i knew where everything was and shopping was done quick, even on bad weeks they delivered to my door.
Now im spending my life looking at different foods and thinking hmmmm what can i cook as my lot do not do pre-cooked meals
Are you for real? Ready Brek and proper bacon???? You miss Tesco and Asda (owned by Walmart)? BooHoo, BooHoo, you poor thing. For all of you who haven't been to Lethbridge, Alta, let me assure you they do have supermarkets there and these supermarkets sell fresh vegetables, fruit, beef, chicken,lamb and pork as well as cereals, butter, milk, eggs, potatoes,breads and a plethora of other food items and, of course, a selection of pre-cooked meals. It would be interesting to discover what she cooks for her children that's attainable in Yookay that's not available in Lethbridge.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

following soon is an unknown quantity at this point

We are not out there yet but will be soon, our son and his wife miss squash and of course "real bacon " i know that i will struggle without "quorn " when i get there!!:
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And then has anyone else found that product or service tucked away in a back alley.
Dear, oh dear. Another ringing endorsement for lobotomies.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_matt is an unknown quantity at this point

We were wondering what folks miss from the UK - Specific chocolate bars, tins of food, beers, tv, We wondered what might hit to top of the list. And then has anyone else found that product or service tucked away in a back alley.

What do you miss?
If you are English you might actually miss England, yes we do. No place like home.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:41 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Are you for real? Ready Brek and proper bacon???? You miss Tesco and Asda (owned by Walmart)? BooHoo, BooHoo, you poor thing. For all of you who haven't been to Lethbridge, Alta, let me assure you they do have supermarkets there and these supermarkets sell fresh vegetables, fruit, beef, chicken,lamb and pork as well as cereals, butter, milk, eggs, potatoes,breads and a plethora of other food items and, of course, a selection of pre-cooked meals. It would be interesting to discover what she cooks for her children that's attainable in Yookay that's not available in Lethbridge.
LOOK you silly little man, people move over here and they do miss stuff from the uk, i also have found stuff here in lethbridge alot better than the uk and on many a trip over i have been used to stuff and took them back to the uk.

When you have shopped at a supermarket for years you get used to what they have and where they are, i am getting used to the canadian way, but GET real, this forum is about sharing what you have found, NOT SITTING ON UR BUTT as a banker pulling people down.

GET REAL, canada is not a third world and yeah everything else is here, but my kids miss ready brek................so what..get a life.
Yeah and i cook bloody well for my kids, probably better than any meal that you have ever eaten, do not jump on my words on a thread and start to slag me off, there is many a person on here that has met me, known me, seen me and my lot and i know loads all over canada not just in alberta.....so get a life and go and sit back in your boring office in your bank....well for now anyway

I DO NOT take it sitting down being called names on a open forum or slagging my kids off:curse:

Last edited by moondevil; Nov 2nd 2008 at 1:53 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by following soon
We are not out there yet but will be soon, our son and his wife miss squash and of course "real bacon " i know that i will struggle without "quorn " when i get there!!:
You can buy squash in safeway's,the flavours i have found are orange,lemon, lemon barley,and you can also buy ribena here.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:44 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Obviously Canada's too cold for dogging in the winter, have you tried the "casual bonking" section of lavalife?
Them husky dogs have long warm coats, make sure it is tied up though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.