British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What do you miss most? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/what-do-you-miss-most-719524/)

lucyloo86 Jun 3rd 2011 10:56 pm

What do you miss most?

Just curious, what things do people miss most from the UK? For me it's clothes shopping, prawn cocktail crisps and a decent curry house! :D

JB0591 Jun 3rd 2011 11:26 pm

Re: What do you miss most?

Originally Posted by lucyloo86 (Post 9408823)
Just curious, what things do people miss most from the UK? For me it's clothes shopping, prawn cocktail crisps and a decent curry house! :D

w.r.t curry house, I was introduced to a little gem in Ottawa the other week. Only opens for lunch and puts on a buffet for $12, everything they put out is brilliant.....very very nice.

My wife would answer your question with Walker's French Fries - Worcester Sauce flavour.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2011 11:57 pm

Cook-in sauces.

Proximity to Europe. I miss my two weeks twice a year on Greek Islands lazing and cycling around, plus City Breaks, xmas market trips etc.

But I had to work 46 weeks a year to be able to take those holidays and here I don't have to work.

nikki dreaming Jun 4th 2011 12:02 am

curry too, we have made up for it by having curry nights between a big group of us, not the same as a proper indian restaurant though, there are some in Halifax but they are a bit far for us for a night out!

JamesM Jun 4th 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming (Post 9408928)
curry too, we have made up for it by having curry nights between a big group of us, not the same as a proper indian restaurant though, there are some in Halifax but they are a bit far for us for a night out!

Decent supermarkets, decent clothes shopping, proper spray deoderant, proper chips, the Sun newspaper and Panorama.

lucyloo86 Jun 4th 2011 12:06 am

Ive been to a couple of curry places in Halifax, you're not missing out. One just wasn't good and the other was good food but didn't taste like home at all!

BristolUK Jun 4th 2011 12:19 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 9408932)
Decent supermarkets...

You don't have decent supermarkets in Toronto? Dear Me.

Perhaps you should move to....no, I'd better not. :rofl:

Novocastrian Jun 4th 2011 12:29 am

I miss the lack of iced hockey.

magnumpi Jun 4th 2011 12:39 am

I am guna miss seeing Blackpool on sultana play in the epl. :(

peas Jun 4th 2011 12:44 am

My friends, the British Museum, various galleries, V&A Museum, other museums, Edinburgh, thunder and lightening, flageolet beans, the local old fart who only wore a flesh coloured thong in the summer, British potatoes, castles and London cabbies.

BristolUK Jun 4th 2011 1:05 am

Originally Posted by peas (Post 9409004)
...London cabbies.

Not sure they'd be much use getting back from one of the supermarkets here.:rofl:

nldfc Jun 4th 2011 1:45 am

Originally Posted by lucyloo86 (Post 9408823)

:blink: You live in Halifax you can get prawn cocktail crisps any day of the week - I normally grab a dozen bags every trip :thumbup:

lucyloo86 Jun 4th 2011 1:52 am

Where from???!!

AmyDavid Jun 4th 2011 1:56 am

Originally Posted by lucyloo86 (Post 9409080)
Where from???!!

Pete's

nldfc Jun 4th 2011 2:04 am

Yip - petes - usually the one out towards bedford - never been in the one downtown yet