Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

Old Nov 24th 2020, 8:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
When I started work in the mid 1980s - this was known as Friday. .
Also known as POETS day.
Piss Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Also known as POETS day.
Piss Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday
At last, someone else who uses that term!! That and 'Piss Off Everyone, Tomorrow's Saturday'
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That would be weird to me, Christmas in summer.
Nearest I got was the first two weeks of December in Tenerife. Sitting on a bar terrace, palm trees all around, nice evening, t-shirt...and the surrounding bars having Christmas decorations up.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Friday has meant little to me since high school, but then I have had a M-F type job, so my days off have always been mostly things like Wed/Thur off, or Sun/Mon, Or Mon/Tues or when doing 10 hour shifts Mon/Tue/Wed off type deal, does make it a little more complicated to have a social life.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nearest I got was the first two weeks of December in Tenerife. Sitting on a bar terrace, palm trees all around, nice evening, t-shirt...and the surrounding bars having Christmas decorations up.
I have spent Christmas several times in Florida and the Caribbean. If I had my way I would spend every Christmas somewhere hot.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The British work Christmas do:

An event often held by companies in which employees frequently consume more alcohol than a baby elephant. Ass grabbing, photocopying genitals, inner-office hook ups , some idiot puts a lampshade on his head, and the boss gets sloshed and fires everyone are typical events.

We had a very strict HR manager at my local government workplace. Before every Christmas party he'd bore us all witless at the manager's meeting, telling us how we were responsible for the behaviour of our staff, how important it was that nothing was done to offend anybody, how we had to 'maintain standards' blah blah blah.

He (HR bloke) was responsible for hiring the 'entertainment', which usually consisted of a lame comedian that everyone laughed at for the wrong reasons, or a karaoke machine (kill me now). But one year he hired a professional Santa and his little helper. Santa was perfectly respectable, but for some reason his little helper in her micro-mini costume with her boobs fighting to escape the white fluff and her arse hanging out of her g-string got most of the attention.

Half the workforce was offended and the other half kept stampeding in different directions as they tried to get the best view. We never let him forget it
Old Nov 25th 2020, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
The Pub... (what's this closing at 5pm on Christmas Eve rubbish here! lol)

The works Christmas do, not sure if its a Canadian thing not to do it, or if its just something companies don't do anymore, but never had one at the two companies I have worked for here Canada

My Family. but my family is a fraction of what it used to be anyway, so it would be no different in the UK.
The Garden where I worked for over 30 years always had some sort of Christmas do ....... ranging from staff organising and cooking turkey etc (when we had a kitchen available), to an organised pot luck dinner and dancing, the Director having a get together at his house. It was never held outside the Garden except when the Director holds it at home.

It is still being held at the current Director's house, and we are still invited! Everyone chips in with something ............. OH makes his "famous" trifle, others take salads or side dishes, or beer or wine. The Director and his wife provide the main dish.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 10:21 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We spent a couple of years in Dubai. The kids were little then and I remember noticing how that even though it was 'shorts & t-shirt' weather outside they would automatically draw snowy scenes on their Christmas pictures and cards without thinking that that was strange. Of course, Dubai has changed a lot since then and they probably do make it snow at Christmas now

I think I would rather become a Jehovah's Witness than agree to go to a works Christmas do... truly the stuff of nightmares.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
When I started work in the mid 1980s - this was known as Friday. When it came around to Christmas - we didn't bother with the pub but food and a ridiculous amount of drink was brought into the office past the police guards who would stand with their eyes shut and fingers in their ears so they couldn't see the bottles or hear them chinking. That changed a lot by the time I left in 2004 with no official recognition of the holidays at all. The company in Toronto used to have great annual parties including open bar, but after a couple of takeovers those stopped happening to the same extent. When I moved into Real Estate - my first brokerage which was a Remax franchise held some pretty swanky parties - again open bar (but given that everyone paid them $900 per month for the privilege of working there they could afford it).
Yes times have changed so much now, silly rules and the "the no more fun times police" have stepped in to end it all....together with the fact companies have become a lot more tight fisted, so Christmas parties are mainly a thing of the past now.

Terrible shame really, as JSmith pointed out they were great for morale and for team building, because everyone was relaxed and feeling social, you would get chatting to co workers that you would normally talk to in the work place, thus establishing solid working relationships with your work colleagues, therefore benefiting to company through improved communcation between workers.

Oh well all good things come to an end.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno how the past was, but Christmas season is often lay off season these days. So nice of companies to issue lay off notices just before Christmas.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

A Clan Dew hangover.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 10:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Since the season and I am sure we all have things we miss about Christmas .....
Noddy Holder.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
.... I miss the UK Christmas spirit, in the shops, pubs etc. ....
And this.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 27th 2020 at 10:51 pm. Reason: Sorry...no edit done
Old Nov 27th 2020, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Noddy Holder.

And this.
From Noddy to you...

Old Nov 28th 2020, 4:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Noddy Holder.
I've met him or rather been on nodding terms. He had a timeshare apartment at the Carlton Hotel Bournemouth. Nice bloke.

Old Nov 28th 2020, 5:35 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Boots 3 for 2 on Christmas gifts, although I still look online and send my mother a list of few items of what I would like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.