British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What do you miss about Christmas from homeland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/what-do-you-miss-about-christmas-homeland-935815/)

spouse of scouse Nov 24th 2020 10:58 am

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12938633)
Christmas in the winter .

:wub: Out of the many things I loved about the three UK Christmases I had, that was what I loved the most. The only thing I missed from Australia was my family.

Tangram Nov 24th 2020 11:47 am

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
Not much. Family gathering I suppose.

Atlantic Xpat Nov 24th 2020 12:23 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
https://images.app.goo.gl/Afk6eseLp8xpJ16g7

Rete Nov 24th 2020 12:32 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
I miss living in New York. The city at the holiday season is lovely. I miss the window dressings on Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center's ice skaters and Christmas Tree. I miss the chance of snow and the cold and family. But most of all, I miss my family and friends and the holiday meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Midnight Mass and enjoying the faces of those I love receiving and opening their gifts.

Jerseygirl Nov 24th 2020 12:40 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12939075)
I miss living in New York. The city at the holiday season is lovely. I miss the window dressings on Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center's ice skaters and Christmas Tree. I miss the chance of snow and the cold and family. But most of all, I miss my family and friends and the holiday meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Midnight Mass and enjoying the faces of those I love receiving and opening their gifts.

I miss NYC too. We always went into the city Christmas Eve...then usually had a late dinner the other side of the Hudson. The best views of NYC are from there.

Edit: Remember...when the rest of us are battling snow and sub zero temps during January/FebruaryMarch...you will be enjoying warm weather.

BristolUK Nov 24th 2020 1:47 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
Ever so slightly, the free pint down the local for regulars at lunchtime on Christmas Day.

If you couldn't get there you didn't get your free pint another time. :frown:

Jerseygirl Nov 24th 2020 1:51 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12939089)
Ever so slightly, the free pint down the local for regulars at lunchtime on Christmas Day.

If you couldn't get there you didn't get your free pint another time. :frown:

don’t think I’ve every been down the pub Christmas Day...apart from the early hours of the morning after a Christmas Eve lock in. :D

Danny B Nov 24th 2020 2:06 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
The village where I lived growing up had a tradition of a Boxing day pram race. Also known as a pub crawl.

https://www.pramrace.com/the-route/

Oh the memories...

caretaker Nov 24th 2020 2:13 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12939097)
The village where I lived growing up had a tradition of a Boxing day pram race. Also known as a pub crawl.
https://www.pramrace.com/the-route/
Oh the memories...

The photo gallery is great!

Paul_Shepherd Nov 24th 2020 2:44 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
The Pub... (what's this closing at 5pm on Christmas Eve rubbish here! lol)

The works Christmas do, not sure if its a Canadian thing not to do it, or if its just something companies don't do anymore, but never had one at the two companies I have worked for here Canada

My Family. but my family is a fraction of what it used to be anyway, so it would be no different in the UK.

Shard Nov 24th 2020 2:46 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12938608)
You better watch out, now you have given away what time zone your in.....;) (just a joke cause of what you have had as your location for years covering such a wide span.)

.

And I always thought it was Winnipeg :D

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 24th 2020 3:08 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12938633)
Christmas in the winter .


Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12939047)
:wub: Out of the many things I loved about the three UK Christmases I had, that was what I loved the most. The only thing I missed from Australia was my family.

That would be weird to me, Christmas in summer.


scrubbedexpat091 Nov 24th 2020 3:10 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12939113)
The Pub... (what's this closing at 5pm on Christmas Eve rubbish here! lol)

The works Christmas do, not sure if its a Canadian thing not to do it, or if its just something companies don't do anymore, but never had one at the two companies I have worked for here Canada

My Family. but my family is a fraction of what it used to be anyway, so it would be no different in the UK.

I tried, but can you translate the bold bit into North America lingo, I just can't figure out what you mean, the bold bit.....:rofl:

Danny B Nov 24th 2020 3:29 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 
The British work Christmas do:

An event often held by companies in which employees frequently consume more alcohol than a baby elephant. Ass grabbing, photocopying genitals, inner-office hook ups , some idiot puts a lampshade on his head, and the boss gets sloshed and fires everyone are typical events.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 24th 2020 3:36 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?
 

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12939129)
The British work Christmas do:

An event often held by companies in which employees frequently consume more alcohol than a baby elephant. Ass grabbing, photocopying genitals, inner-office hook ups , some idiot puts a lampshade on his head, and the boss gets sloshed and fires everyone are typical events.

Ah Christmas party. I have only ever worked at one place that did such things, the airline, every year we had a wild, alcohol fuelled Christmas Party, but this was late 90's and early 00's, doubt they could get away with it now, especially the alcohol part. Although only those not working within 24 hours of the party were allowed to drink........although it was usually held at a hotel banquet room, so I don't think there was ever access to a photocopier but there were certainly hookups....ha ha

Never had any company in Canada do anything for employees during the holidays, in general Christmas is more subdued in Canada vs the US, not as festive in general, but Canadian employers in my experience not too fond of employee incentives or providing anything extra.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:53 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.