British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What do you miss about Christmas from homeland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/what-do-you-miss-about-christmas-homeland-935815/)

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 22nd 2020 9:29 pm

What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

Since the season and I am sure we all have things we miss about Christmas that either are not available in Canada, or because of rules/regulations don't have access to, etc etc.

For me it's live Christmas Trees, I miss the smell, and going and picking one out. Live trees are not allowed in apartments and condos in BC so I haven't had one since 2002. Fake trees never been my thing and taking a tree for a box in the closest just isn't the same.

*note trees sold in BC for the most part for Christmas are farmed, not taken from the forests and being farmed they grow back and once Christmas is over used for mulch for landscaping*

Upside is there is always a chance of a snow filled Christmas now, which was never a possibility back home, and snowy Christmas is a positive for me.

Jerseygirl Nov 22nd 2020 9:40 pm

Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

Good idea for a thread J. :thumbsup:

The first few years after we were married we had ‘live’ Christmas trees. The dogs loved to run around under the tree, knocking the baubles and pine needles all over the floor. By Christmas Day there were hardly any pine needles left, so we gave in and have had artificial trees ever since.

I miss the UK Christmas spirit, in the shops, pubs etc and of course I miss family get togethers. When we lived in the states Thanksgiving was the big holiday, Christmas was a 1 day after thought. :(

Edit: It is more like Christmas here in Canada but still miss friends and family. We were hoping to take daughter and granddaughter to spend Christmas and NY in the UK this year. Sadly Covid put paid to that.

macadian Nov 22nd 2020 9:50 pm

Not a lot really......

Danny B Nov 22nd 2020 9:56 pm

Christmas Pantomimes and the M&S Christmas advert.

Jerseygirl Nov 22nd 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12938569)
Christmas Pantomimes and the M&S Christmas advert.

Oh yes, I miss Marks and Spark’s Christmas goodies.

Siouxie Nov 22nd 2020 11:36 pm

I quite miss Carol singers in the pedestrian precincts in the days leading up to Christmas.. and the odd ones that would sing outside the house. I miss going round to see my neighbour on Christmas eve and drinking mulled wine.. and seeing family over the christmas holidays (boxing day was the day we would all go to our Dad's for afternoon tea :) ) I miss chestnuts beng roasted on the street (when we were kids my Dad used to roast them on the open coal fire)... paxo stuffing and proper christmas pudding....... and I miss extra thick double cream to put on it! :D
Christmas panto's too - "oh no you don't!" "he's behind you!"

Former Lancastrian Nov 23rd 2020 12:12 am

With a 6 hour time difference you got your presents delivered earlier in the UK other than that I think UK mince pies and Christmas puddings taste better. Yes Canada does things slightly different but all the essentials are here except a Boxing Day football match.

JamesM Nov 23rd 2020 1:14 am

Pub on Christmas Eve.

Spending it with family.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 23rd 2020 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12938593)
With a 6 hour time difference you got your presents delivered earlier in the UK other than that I think UK mince pies and Christmas puddings taste better. Yes Canada does things slightly different but all the essentials are here except a Boxing Day football match.

You better watch out, now you have given away what time zone your in.....;) (just a joke cause of what you have had as your location for years covering such a wide span.)

I miss the light parade on San Diego Bay as well, just something about boats lit up for Christmas having a parade on the water.

bats Nov 23rd 2020 2:19 am

Strangely enough Christmas shopping on dark afternoons, usually drizzling, with the smell of roast chestnuts in the air. The little ragamuffins running to collect tha goose for Mr Scrooge.

HGerchikov Nov 23rd 2020 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12938555)
Since the season and I am sure we all have things we miss about Christmas that either are not available in Canada, or because of rules/regulations don't have access to, etc etc.

For me it's live Christmas Trees, I miss the smell, and going and picking one out. Live trees are not allowed in apartments and condos in BC so I haven't had one since 2002. Fake trees never been my thing and taking a tree for a box in the closest just isn't the same.

*note trees sold in BC for the most part for Christmas are farmed, not taken from the forests and being farmed they grow back and once Christmas is over used for mulch for landscaping*

Upside is there is always a chance of a snow filled Christmas now, which was never a possibility back home, and snowy Christmas is a positive for me.

We somehow ended up owning a Christmas Tree Farm (we have other nursery trees too). It wasn't something we set out to do but we liked the property and the location and the trees came with. I love this time of year when the farm which is usually so quiet has happy visitors tromping the fields picking out their tree, the place really comes to life - and then they give us money.

scilly Nov 23rd 2020 2:36 am

There isn't anything I miss really.

We always had chicken for Christmas dinner, I much prefer turkey that we have here :nod:

OH has made Christmas pudding almost every year and Christmas cake any years since we came here, using a Cheshire Women's Institute cookbook that his mother gave me before we married when I once said that I was collecting cookbooks. They're better than any I had in the UK.

I can buy mince pies made just like the UK from Safeway/Sobeys or any bakery in Vancouver. Or I would make my own, pastry different, but much more mincemeat (Crosse & Blackwell's yet) :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 23rd 2020 2:38 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12938614)
We somehow ended up owning a Christmas Tree Farm (we have other nursery trees too). It wasn't something we set out to do but we liked the property and the location and the trees came with. I love this time of year when the farm which is usually so quiet has happy visitors tromping the fields picking out their tree, the place really comes to life - and then they give us money.

Win win for you :thumbsup:

There was a tree farm not far from where I grew up, my parents would usually take us there to pick and cut our tree, then pay at the front, Santa was usually there to, and they had reindeer, it was pretty fun for a kid.

If I ever own a house, first Christmas I'd get a real tree...

scot47 Nov 23rd 2020 4:46 am

The shops full of tat and the nonsense on TV ?

BEVS Nov 23rd 2020 5:13 am

Christmas in the winter .