Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

Old Nov 24th 2020, 10:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss about Christmas from homeland?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Christmas in the winter .
Out of the many things I loved about the three UK Christmases I had, that was what I loved the most. The only thing I missed from Australia was my family.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 24th 2020 at 11:28 am.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:47 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Not much. Family gathering I suppose.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 12:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

https://images.app.goo.gl/Afk6eseLp8xpJ16g7
Old Nov 24th 2020, 12:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I miss living in New York. The city at the holiday season is lovely. I miss the window dressings on Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center's ice skaters and Christmas Tree. I miss the chance of snow and the cold and family. But most of all, I miss my family and friends and the holiday meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Midnight Mass and enjoying the faces of those I love receiving and opening their gifts.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I miss living in New York. The city at the holiday season is lovely. I miss the window dressings on Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center's ice skaters and Christmas Tree. I miss the chance of snow and the cold and family. But most of all, I miss my family and friends and the holiday meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Midnight Mass and enjoying the faces of those I love receiving and opening their gifts.
I miss NYC too. We always went into the city Christmas Eve...then usually had a late dinner the other side of the Hudson. The best views of NYC are from there.

Edit: Remember...when the rest of us are battling snow and sub zero temps during January/FebruaryMarch...you will be enjoying warm weather.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 24th 2020 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 1:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ever so slightly, the free pint down the local for regulars at lunchtime on Christmas Day.

If you couldn't get there you didn't get your free pint another time.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ever so slightly, the free pint down the local for regulars at lunchtime on Christmas Day.

If you couldn't get there you didn't get your free pint another time.
don’t think I’ve every been down the pub Christmas Day...apart from the early hours of the morning after a Christmas Eve lock in.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 2:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The village where I lived growing up had a tradition of a Boxing day pram race. Also known as a pub crawl.

https://www.pramrace.com/the-route/

Oh the memories...
Old Nov 24th 2020, 2:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The village where I lived growing up had a tradition of a Boxing day pram race. Also known as a pub crawl.
https://www.pramrace.com/the-route/
Oh the memories...
The photo gallery is great!
Old Nov 24th 2020, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

The Pub... (what's this closing at 5pm on Christmas Eve rubbish here! lol)

The works Christmas do, not sure if its a Canadian thing not to do it, or if its just something companies don't do anymore, but never had one at the two companies I have worked for here Canada

My Family. but my family is a fraction of what it used to be anyway, so it would be no different in the UK.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 2:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You better watch out, now you have given away what time zone your in..... (just a joke cause of what you have had as your location for years covering such a wide span.)

And I always thought it was Winnipeg
Old Nov 24th 2020, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Christmas in the winter .
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Out of the many things I loved about the three UK Christmases I had, that was what I loved the most. The only thing I missed from Australia was my family.
That would be weird to me, Christmas in summer.

Old Nov 24th 2020, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
The Pub... (what's this closing at 5pm on Christmas Eve rubbish here! lol)

The works Christmas do, not sure if its a Canadian thing not to do it, or if its just something companies don't do anymore, but never had one at the two companies I have worked for here Canada

My Family. but my family is a fraction of what it used to be anyway, so it would be no different in the UK.
I tried, but can you translate the bold bit into North America lingo, I just can't figure out what you mean, the bold bit.....
Old Nov 24th 2020, 3:29 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The British work Christmas do:

An event often held by companies in which employees frequently consume more alcohol than a baby elephant. Ass grabbing, photocopying genitals, inner-office hook ups , some idiot puts a lampshade on his head, and the boss gets sloshed and fires everyone are typical events.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
The British work Christmas do:

An event often held by companies in which employees frequently consume more alcohol than a baby elephant. Ass grabbing, photocopying genitals, inner-office hook ups , some idiot puts a lampshade on his head, and the boss gets sloshed and fires everyone are typical events.
Ah Christmas party. I have only ever worked at one place that did such things, the airline, every year we had a wild, alcohol fuelled Christmas Party, but this was late 90's and early 00's, doubt they could get away with it now, especially the alcohol part. Although only those not working within 24 hours of the party were allowed to drink........although it was usually held at a hotel banquet room, so I don't think there was ever access to a photocopier but there were certainly hookups....ha ha

Never had any company in Canada do anything for employees during the holidays, in general Christmas is more subdued in Canada vs the US, not as festive in general, but Canadian employers in my experience not too fond of employee incentives or providing anything extra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.