Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do you laugh at or find funny that you know you shouldn't?

What do you laugh at or find funny that you know you shouldn't?

Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:38 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you laugh at or find funny that you know you shouldn't?

I won't bore you all with the finer details, but suffice to say that select members of my family have had to leave public events due to uncontrollable, tears-down-your face laughter. The two occasions which most spring to mind involved disabled children and Holocaust survivors. Both times, I should point out, the hilarity was not aimed at the subject matter, but rather at something stupid that happened during these poignant events.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a news report about how some friends of that girl murdered in surrey recently had set up a facebook page. Report was about how the page had been subject to troll posts, along the lines of 'your dead lol'. The page had been trolled by a group specializing in doing this kind of thing. I can't remember which website started it, but their website motto was 'troll them till they die again'.

Now, I realize that this is massively inappropriate, but I found 'your dead lol' and 'troll them till they die again' when coupled with the faux outrage of the reporting funny enough to actually burst out laughing. Much to the complete disgust of the missus and probably all right minded people I expect.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 15th 2010 at 8:19 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:01 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

OK here's my worst

Few years ago some friends were round at my place and we're having beers and a curry. Chatting joking etc - tv is on in the background though no-one noticed what was on as we were talking.

For whatever reason there was a quiet moment and I glanced at the telly.

It's a documentary about blind kids and what they are able to do, narrated by one of the participants in said documentary.

Cue scene of 22 blind kids in an indoor sports hall playing football, with a ball with a bell in it. The narrator kid says "people think we can't do anything because we're blind" - at that precise moment some kids wallops the ball, all of em chase the sound of the bell - it ricochets off a wall and 5 of em run into the wall.

F**k I still crack up to this day thinking about that
Old Oct 16th 2010, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Many moons ago, when I was a very young officer on the beat, an asian lady was murdered and our whole station were out doing house-to-house enquiries. It was a long, long day - hours and hours on foot, talking to every resident in a large spread out area and by early evening we were all exhausted and hungry.

As we all piled into the back of a minibus, we relaxed, took off hats and jackets and set down clipboards smothered with copious notes. We all sat back, relaxed and waited for the driver to turn up. It was all very quiet.

Some bright spark at the back of the bus sighed and said "Cor, I could murder an indian".

Cue a collective intake of breath - and then uncontrollable laughter
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:46 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Many moons ago, when I was a very young officer on the beat, an asian lady was murdered and our whole station were out doing house-to-house enquiries. It was a long, long day - hours and hours on foot, talking to every resident in a large spread out area and by early evening we were all exhausted and hungry.

As we all piled into the back of a minibus, we relaxed, took off hats and jackets and set down clipboards smothered with copious notes. We all sat back, relaxed and waited for the driver to turn up. It was all very quiet.

Some bright spark at the back of the bus sighed and said "Cor, I could murder an indian".

Cue a collective intake of breath - and then uncontrollable laughter
Old Oct 16th 2010, 2:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

As a physiotherapist, working with often critically sick patients in a hospital setting, the opportunities for wildly inappropriate humour are almost limitless!

The funniest are unwitting though ... I once told an amputee to hop up on the bed (luckily he found that hilarious), and recently, dealing with a gent who'd badly burned his insensensate diabetic foot, I enquired about his other one, only to look down and realise that he had a prosthetic limb on that side. (straight-faced, he replied that the other foot was fine!)

Another patient who had recovered from a severe and life-threatening infection (which resulted in a below-knee amp and massive skin-grafting), was complaining to me that her nails were growing oddly after her critical illness ..... I just had to remark that that was just adding insult to injury, and we both fell about laughing!

Oh and another burn guy had touched some hot metal and now had the warning "Caution: HOT - DO NOT TOUCH" (together with an image of a hand with a cross through it) branded across his palm.

There are many more (mostly unrepeatable, or you just had to be there I expect) ... often we use humour to relieve the stress and tension.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I always smile after pumping gas, once I've double and triple-checked that I've taken the hose from the tank and put it back into the pump.!

I don't want to end up driving down the street like someone else who shall remain nameless, with the hose still in gas tank.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a funeral two years ago and a colleague stood up to give a talk about this dead guy's importance in his world of work and started off with: "no-one could ever put x in a box ...".

I laughed and couldn't stop. It was really bad, quite mortifying really. Good job I've moved to Canada I suppose.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:59 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn't be pissing myself laughing at most of these posts but I am

Thanks all.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:16 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
OK here's my worst

Few years ago some friends were round at my place and we're having beers and a curry. Chatting joking etc - tv is on in the background though no-one noticed what was on as we were talking.

For whatever reason there was a quiet moment and I glanced at the telly.

It's a documentary about blind kids and what they are able to do, narrated by one of the participants in said documentary.

Cue scene of 22 blind kids in an indoor sports hall playing football, with a ball with a bell in it. The narrator kid says "people think we can't do anything because we're blind" - at that precise moment some kids wallops the ball, all of em chase the sound of the bell - it ricochets off a wall and 5 of em run into the wall.

F**k I still crack up to this day thinking about that
pmsl!!!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I always smile after pumping gas
Boys and their gas.

<snigger>
Old Oct 18th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I always smile after pumping gas, once I've double and triple-checked that I've taken the hose from the tank and put it back into the pump.!

I don't want to end up driving down the street like someone else who shall remain nameless, with the hose still in gas tank.
Yeah my wife drove off with the LPG hose still connected, funny as hell
Old Oct 18th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago watching a tv documentary about Tourettes syndrome, I am embarrassed to admit that I laughed so hard I cried. What set me off was when one of these poor kids was trying to have a serious conversation with his University lecturer and every 20th word he called the poor guy a ****ing w@nker and ****ing prick and every obscene name under the sun. I am amazed that the guy kept a straight face. It just made me laugh as there were times I wish I could have called my lecturers a few names too.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mountain Girl
Many years ago watching a tv documentary about Tourettes syndrome, I am embarrassed to admit that I laughed so hard I cried. What set me off was when one of these poor kids was trying to have a serious conversation with his University lecturer and every 20th word he called the poor guy a ****ing w@nker and ****ing prick and every obscene name under the sun. I am amazed that the guy kept a straight face. It just made me laugh as there were times I wish I could have called my lecturers a few names too.
I sat at a friends house the other week and said I've done really well with tourettes tonight, she said ahem, my sister has that - oops.

Anyway, awesome thread peeps, been sat here laughing hard and then got to thinking what have I laughed at that I shouldn't have OMG, where do I begin.

16, singer, came off stage for 2 mins silence, starving, my mum had got me a burger as I was starving. Not realising that the two minutes silence for whatever dude had died was going to be quite so silent I then began to eat my burger, the salad proceeded to fall out on the polystyrene (can't spell that) packaging, and it was really bloody loud as it fell. I started to giggle, then choke then giglge as a HUGE SNOT BUBBLE came out of my nose. But I had the bloody massive burger with noisey salad in my hands so could do nothing about the growing bubble. Finally the 2 minutes ended and I managed to run to the toilet. I was never booked at that venue again............

Just to let you know I laughed until I cried writing this lol!

Something else I probably shouldn't laugh at is when people wipe out especially the wrestler who was trying out one of my dads horses. It was like a slow motion thing that you could see was going to happen but just couldn't stop. When he finally hit the ground, me, my dad and an old farmer chap were crippled in the paddock with our hands between our legs trying not to pee. All you could here from the 350 lump on the ground was a "uuuuuuggggghhh ugggggggh". The man could have been choking on his own tongue, but we were no use at all to him, as it was he just broke a wrist. Lucky for him.

The one thing that gets me every time though is when you have to watch someone perform and they are dreadful. I just can't help it, I totally lose my beans, it's a nervous reaction I'm sure, but usually results in me having to run like **** so I can actually let it out..........

God help anyone who has to ever stand next to me when I'm supposed to behave though, because I just can't.......

Happy days
Mrs Miggins. xxx