British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What do you do with yours? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/what-do-you-do-yours-542659/)

daft batty Jun 12th 2008 3:20 pm

What do you do with yours?

Blackberry that is. I have a shiny red blackberry Curve, and I love it because I can get/send emails, I have maps and GPS, and internet. Apart from that and the brickbreaker game, what else can I do? Can I download books to read??

thanks

Steve_P Jun 12th 2008 3:24 pm

Re: What do you do with yours?

Originally Posted by daft batty (Post 6460422)
Blackberry that is. I have a shiny red blackberry Curve, and I love it because I can get/send emails, I have maps and GPS, and internet. Apart from that and the brickbreaker game, what else can I do? Can I download books to read??

thanks

I don't have one.

I refuse to have a cell phone of any kind.:thumbdown:

Remember from another thread I admitted I'm a dinosaur. :p

Edit: I do like blackberries though, the real fruit variety.;):D

hot wasabi peas Jun 12th 2008 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6460435)
I don't have one.

Me neither.

startwin Jun 12th 2008 3:32 pm

Oh dear, I'm with you, Steve. I need a new cell phone, and am having problems finding one that is JUST a phone so it's easy to use and easy to answer a call! Don't need a camera, games, texting, web, or any of that stuff. Just a phone. My grandson left his fancy phone here, and it rang - I couldn't even figure out which button to press to answer it! :o

hot wasabi peas Jun 12th 2008 3:34 pm

This thread is going well! :lol:

Biiiiink Jun 12th 2008 3:36 pm

Nor me. I just use an iPod Touch and borrow wifi, there's usually some available. This site does some free "books" via email in installments, but not a lot.

What do you pay a month for that Batty? Is it unlimited data?

daft batty Jun 12th 2008 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by startwin (Post 6460464)
Oh dear, I'm with you, Steve. I need a new cell phone, and am having problems finding one that is JUST a phone so it's easy to use and easy to answer a call! Don't need a camera, games , texting, web, or any of that stuff. Just a phone. My grandson left his fancy phone here, and it rang - I couldn't even figure out which button to press to answer it! o

I would be ashamed to admit that! You can use a computer so why not a phone?

I have the Blackberry as I am deaf and cant hear to use a phone. Texting on ordinary cellphones isnt reliable in Canada, they sometimes arrive a day late and even 10 minutes is too long, I need to be able to communicate in real time.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6460477)
Nor me. I just use an iPod Touch and borrow wifi, there's usually some available. This site does some free "books" via email in installments, but not a lot.

What do you pay a month for that Batty? Is it unlimited data?

I negotiated with Rogers and I dont have a "plan", all their plans included voice, plus I wasnt going to get tied into a 3 year contract. So I have unlimited text and emails, plus 2 Mb data a month( I think) It costs me $47 a month. It could be used for voice in an emergency and it would cost a dollar a minute, but in an emergency you wouldnt care much. I dont use the MP3 part as I cant hear music apart from the bass.

I have this fancy gadget and would like to get the most out of it!:thumbsup:

Edna Bucket Jun 12th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by startwin (Post 6460464)
Oh dear, I'm with you, Steve. I need a new cell phone, and am having problems finding one that is JUST a phone so it's easy to use and easy to answer a call! Don't need a camera, games, texting, web, or any of that stuff. Just a phone. My grandson left his fancy phone here, and it rang - I couldn't even figure out which button to press to answer it! :o

If you just want a PAYG SevenEleven have some plain and simple Nokia phones, and if you put on $50 credit as soon as you buy it the credit will be valid for a whole year which is great if you don't make many calls. Smaller amounts of credit expire after a shorter time.

Bill_S Jun 12th 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by daft batty (Post 6460422)

thanks

My wife has exactly the same unit, but she uses it only for business email. No idea about downloading books, sorry. A popular site for blackberry users is crackberry.com. I'm sure you can find answers over there.

jimmydean Jun 12th 2008 5:33 pm

I have a Blackberry thing......use it all the time as I work.......it will be binned along with my mobile phone the day I retire................

R I C H Jun 12th 2008 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 6460459)
Me neither.

Nor me.

dthomas Jun 12th 2008 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6460435)
I don't have one.

I refuse to have a cell phone of any kind.:thumbdown:

Remember from another thread I admitted I'm a dinosaur. :p

Edit: I do like blackberries though, the real fruit variety.;):D

I agree with you 100%. I'm not takin' the piss. FILTHY devices!

Remember the crap we all bought about the safety of Asbestos? DDT? Urea formaldehyde? Leaded gasoline? Bisphenol A plastics? Hey, I read Stephen Kings novel Cell - I'm ready! http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.c...phoneemfs.html

startwin Jun 12th 2008 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket (Post 6460718)
If you just want a PAYG SevenEleven have some plain and simple Nokia phones, and if you put on $50 credit as soon as you buy it the credit will be valid for a whole year which is great if you don't make many calls. Smaller amounts of credit expire after a shorter time.

Thank you Edna. :)

AlvicBC Jun 12th 2008 9:03 pm

Blackberry pie, heated with vanilla ice-cream is hard to beat:sneaky:

startwin Jun 12th 2008 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by daft batty (Post 6460541)
I would be ashamed to admit that! You can use a computer so why not a phone?

Ashamed? Hardly. Been using a 'puter since the days when they took up a whole room, and I bet there's millions like me. Now there might be other things to be ashamed of but it sure ain't anything as trivial as using a cell phone. :rofl: