Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what do we all do when we are not skiing, photographing bears and living the dream?!

what do we all do when we are not skiing, photographing bears and living the dream?!

Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:00 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default what do we all do when we are not skiing, photographing bears and living the dream?!

Most people say that they want to come to Canada for a better standard of living, more opportunities etc.

However when the dust settles and we all start to settle into everyday life, we all actually do do the normal things, like wake up, have breakfast, go to work (or not as the case may be )

Sooooo aside from being on BE of an evening - what do you all do?

Do you go out more than back from wherever it was you came from or not?

At the minute my days consist of drawing, feeding and looking after animals, housework, more drawing and then chilling out at night watching train wreck TV, and catching up with happenings online

Weekends are usually more fun filled than back in England though
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:17 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do we all do when we are not skiing, photographing bears and living the drea

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Most people say that they want to come to Canada for a better standard of living, more opportunities etc.

However when the dust settles and we all start to settle into everyday life, we all actually do do the normal things, like wake up, have breakfast, go to work (or not as the case may be )

Sooooo aside from being on BE of an evening - what do you all do?

Do you go out more than back from wherever it was you came from or not?

At the minute my days consist of drawing, feeding and looking after animals, housework, more drawing and then chilling out at night watching train wreck TV, and catching up with happenings online

Weekends are usually more fun filled than back in England though
Pub Culture has been replaced by other outlets (Sporting events, visiting friends, star gazing etc), Eating out is something I do more often (I often wonder why given that generally the quality is 'inferior'), I spend more time on the net. BUT all of that could change in the next month or so.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:26 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do we all do when we are not skiing, photographing bears and living the drea

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Pub Culture has been replaced by other outlets (Sporting events, visiting friends, star gazing etc), Eating out is something I do more often (I often wonder why given that generally the quality is 'inferior'), I spend more time on the net. BUT all of that could change in the next month or so.
Yup you'll be doing chores til stupid o'clock!

One thing that kind of bugs me is when people say they want to move here for a bigger house. Ultimately there's still going to be the same amount of you in the family as when you left the uk, you are now just going to have a big house to clean everyday!!!!

I agree that the 'pub culture' isn't here, it gets replaced by 'visiting and drinking!' but for those that haven't made too many friends then there isn't that to do either.

You can see why some get disheartened, because at the end of the day - life still goes on and can be boring here too!

(disclaimer to say i'm not disheartened!)
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:32 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup you'll be doing chores til stupid o'clock!

One thing that kind of bugs me is when people say they want to move here for a bigger house. Ultimately there's still going to be the same amount of you in the family as when you left the uk, you are now just going to have a big house to clean everyday!!!!

I agree that the 'pub culture' isn't here, it gets replaced by 'visiting and drinking!' but for those that haven't made too many friends then there isn't that to do either.

You can see why some get disheartened, because at the end of the day - life still goes on and can be boring here too!

(disclaimer to say i'm not disheartened!)
'Chores' wont be starting for a couple of months (unless you count renos)

The bigger house? I have to be honest and say I have mixed feelings. For numerous reasons I would love a MASSIVE kitchen, I hate small bathrooms, I want a bigger Master Suite, we 'need' at least two bedrooms and swmbo insists on a Study and HUGE Walk In Closet. All in All it doesnt add upto a 'small' house. On the other hand as I (keep) say(ing) there is really no need for much over 1500sqft for most families.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:59 am
Sawdust making harpy

'Chores' wont be starting for a couple of months (unless you count renos)

The bigger house? I have to be honest and say I have mixed feelings. For numerous reasons I would love a MASSIVE kitchen, I hate small bathrooms, I want a bigger Master Suite, we 'need' at least two bedrooms and swmbo insists on a Study and HUGE Walk In Closet. All in All it doesnt add upto a 'small' house. On the other hand as I (keep) say(ing) there is really no need for much over 1500sqft for most families.
Totally agree - when we have finished with the basement we'll have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a sitting room upstairs and the family / games / media room and a studio downstairs and obviously the kitchen.

We don't need 4 bedrooms but they will be handy in the summer months when we do have a lot of get togethers, the sitting room will likely never get used but it'll be there in case the guys want the downstairs for a poker night
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:08 am
Banned

Totally agree - when we have finished with the basement we'll have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a sitting room upstairs and the family / games / media room and a studio downstairs and obviously the kitchen.

We don't need 4 bedrooms but they will be handy in the summer months when we do have a lot of get togethers, the sitting room will likely never get used but it'll be there in case the guys want the downstairs for a poker night
Oh yes, unless 'she' changes her plans again when we finish we'll have three bedrooms (there are currently 4), three baths, a 'study'/loft, lounge, dining, large kitchen, Porch/workshop, Utility/laundry and a cold store.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:18 am
Sawdust making harpy

Oh yes, unless 'she' changes her plans again when we finish we'll have three bedrooms (there are currently 4), three baths, a 'study'/loft, lounge, dining, large kitchen, Porch/workshop, Utility/laundry and a cold store.
So lots of time of an evening to be doing reno's then!!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Reathor has a spectacular aura aboutReathor has a spectacular aura aboutReathor has a spectacular aura about

Well other than getting rather tipsy with friends on a Friday/Saturday night and watching trash tv like most of Brits I like to kill time reading about Alberta legends like you 2 on British Expats!

PS. 1500 sq ft. That's not nearly big enough to house your own ice rink and indoor sports complex is it!

....There is no utopia, there is only real life or perhaps a lottery win!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

"and living the dream?"

Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I personally find the UK way more stimulating as a woman compared to the city that I live in here, which i 85000 peeps and a HUGE amount of that is Mormon and Christian fundamentalist. However, what I am able to do is this..........

I work school hours and am basically self employed, I only see my boss when I want to ;o)

I am able to take my kids to swimming, ballet, tap, Brownies, piano and playdates within 15 minutes wherever I go in the city. Most of these are five minutes from my house. With the traffic in little old Ipswich, I would never be able to do that and cook dinner and get them to bed at a proper time with homework having been done etc.........That to me really stands out. Me and my minivan are never long apart from each other.

I am away next week for a couple of days with a friend and the kids doing the museum thing, logistically that just wouldnt be as easy for me over there. But here, for some reason it is.

Social life has also picked up a lot and as the kids get older everything just seems more accessible and easier for some reason. In fact this weekend I have had to ban all social contact and demand a weekend at home

Writing is a big part of my life as is my education, that takes up a lot of spare time. MY OH does a job here that he could never do over there, when he is home, he spends every minute with the kids and it's like having a "manny" in the house. He concetrates fully on being involved with them. In the UK, if we were lucky he would be working, coming home at 6 and seeing them maybe for a couple of hours depending on clubs and work etc.....so that's nice. Although it's been an incredibly hard journery to sort life out here and make it work for all of us.

At the end of last summer when we returned to Canada we spent lots of time in the mountains, this year we will probably be camping and adventuring with the kids and the dogs on their bikes. Not spending a lot of time on the M25! Or hemorhraging money at service stations and theme parks............We also craft a lot now, my daughter and I love it, never got the chance in the UK, life just seemed different there with different obligations and time constraints.

The UK offers me a very different life, but my kids without doubt, are happiest here with their friends, clubs and networks. I am starting to feel it a bit too nowadays I miss family and friends on holidays terribly, but my day to day not living the dream life, is of a way higher standard than what I was experiencing in the UK, although there will always be bits that I long for!!!!

Mrs M x

Last edited by Mistress Miggins; Feb 10th 2010 at 3:23 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:30 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
we will probably be camping and adventuring with the kids and the dogs on their bikes.
you must get lots of funny looks from fellow adventurers
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

lol that'll teach me to proof read ha ha! I only have one dog too!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:38 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Spare time activities....

Skiing
Boating
Exploring on ATV/dirtbike
Dog walking
Horse riding
Having friends round to play pool, BBQ, hot tub
Back yard ice skating/hockey
Occasional nights at the local pub
Movie theatre
Reading/relaxing

and at the moment, mostly renovations, renovations and more renovations.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:24 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by R I C H
Spare time activities....

Skiing
Boating
Exploring on ATV/dirtbike
Dog walking
Horse riding
Having friends round to play pool, BBQ, hot tub
Back yard ice skating/hockey
Occasional nights at the local pub
Movie theatre
Reading/relaxing

and at the moment, mostly renovations, renovations and more renovations.

Actually when his lordship gets back your list is pretty spot on (although change dirtbke for sled and add the words 'attempt to' before Skating / hockey!!!!) oh and take out Skiing - i've never done that!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I dream about photographing skiing bears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.