Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice
Default Re: What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I was at the Ideal Homes Exhibition in Earl's Court in 1976. Someone had left a plastic carrier bag at the top of an escalator...I reported it. A few days later a bomb exploded at the Exhibition...it had been placed in a waste bin at the top of an escalator. I've always wondered if the bag I reported was a 'dry run'.
Are we seeking answers for those experienced in The UK or Canada?

FROTSUK

Edit: Or more 'internationally'?

Last edited by FirstRatofftheShipUK; Jun 25th 2012 at 7:36 pm. Reason: Curiousity
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the OP's opening post? The first sentence says...

"I'm interested to see actual real figures from people around this country, and that of expats that have been in Canada for a while."
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Have you read the OP's opening post? The first sentence says...

"I'm interested to see actual real figures from people around this country, and that of expats that have been in Canada for a while."
I have. Quite.
So one wonders why you are discussing IRA bombings?

FROTSUK
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
I have. Quite.

FROTSUK
Someone mentioned the IRA bombing in Warrington...then the Harrods bombing...
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Someone mentioned the IRA bombing in Warrington...then the Harrods bombing...
I think the OP is interested in what could be called 'domestic crime' of a bog standard, that has been personally experienced/witnessed; I assume he/she is trying to build an anecdotal domestic picture of The UK compared to Canada.

I do not think he/she is seeking a discussion on the classifications of political terrorism/state action/crime, and what classifies each.

Back to reality: I once saw a guy shoplift a Twix; I was affected for quite some time thereafter

FROTSUK

Last edited by FirstRatofftheShipUK; Jun 25th 2012 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a "he", just to clarify that

It's kind of an unfair comparison to base it between Canada and the UK, as most of us on here will have spent most of our lives in the UK, and hence will generally have seen more crime in the UK.

I didn't plan to draw any conclusions from this thread, other than to confirm we live in world full of evil bar stewards who want to hurt each other

Canada does seem to have less crime, but then the population per mile is less than the UK, so it means nothing.

Only real difference is, would I rather be shot or stabbed?

hmmm, tricky one
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:42 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

It's kind of an unfair comparison to base it between Canada and the UK, as most of us on here will have spent most of our lives in the UK, and hence will generally have seen more crime in the UK.

I didn't plan to draw any conclusions from this thread, other than to confirm we live in world full of evil bar stewards who want to hurt each other

Canada does seem to have less crime, but then the population per mile is less than the UK, so it means nothing.

hmmm, tricky one
I'll plum for just dying quietly in my sleep in my 90's provided i'm relatively healthy, which is highly unlikely
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I don't live in Canada but I spend a quite a bit of time in Toronto. In the UK I've had the garage broken into twice...different addresses and about 15 years apart.

In Toronto...a homeless man walked past our car and kicked the door...leaving a large dent.

hmmm, tricky one
Originally Posted by dollface
I'll plum for just dying quietly in my sleep in my 90's provided i'm relatively healthy, which is highly unlikely
That's the way I would like to go.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

hmmm, tricky one
I don't live in Canada but I spend a quite a bit of time in Toronto. In the UK I've had the garage broken into twice...different addresses and about 15 years apart.

In Toronto...a homeless man walked past our car and kicked the door...leaving a large dent.
Originally Posted by dollface
That's the way I would like to go.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:48 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I have. Quite.

FROTSUK
IRA Bombings are sooooooooooooooo yesterday.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I was in the immediate vicinity of an IRA bombing, the Commercial Union building, blood splattered people ran past me. Worse, my brother built a tandoori oven within a block of the Europa hotel in Belfast and the IRA blew it up, incidentally damaging the hotel (so he says anyway). These events are still raw to us, your Queen may forgive and forget but we, the public, do not.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have. Quite.

FROTSUK
Why not?
Old Jun 26th 2012, 2:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, tricky one
It doesn't have less crime. I imagine most on here decide to move to an area that appears so.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Worse, my brother built a tandoori oven within a block of the Europa hotel in Belfast and the IRA blew it up, incidentally damaging the hotel (so he says anyway).
I think you would find that was more due to the chicken being under cooked, rather than any penalty enforcement for Revenue Collection avoidance
Old Jun 26th 2012, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
"At an annual dinner-dance organised for the Irish Collie Club, 12 victims were killed by a blast incendiary placed by the PIRA."

Even for you, that's a pretty crass comment. My uncle (who died) and my dad would not agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.