Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: What crimes have you witnessed/been affected by

Heard a banging sound coming from outside our front door at about 8pm on Saturday. Worried about my car, I looked out the window only to see my neighbour's daughter throwing her head, repeatedly against the back window of a police car. A cop was trying to cuff her at the time. She was screaming about police brutality even though there were about 5 other witnesses outside watching. I would put her age at around 17. Her mum is a scumbag and it now looks as though she's heading down the same route.

Friday is my last day in the street. They have been part of that reason.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
IRA terrorist bomb exploded in town centre on the street I was shopping on 40 minutes previously.

One bomb went off in a waste bin and the next went off in another waste bin further along, to catch people fleeing. The second was outside a McDonalds. This was Saturday shopping.
20 March 1993...the day before Mother's Day. One bomb went off outside Boots...the second ouside McD's. I was at the Warrington General's A&E dept that morning with my MIL. I was standing next to the phone when the nurse answered it. I was still at A&E as they brought some of the victims in. I remember the young mum who lost her legs...she was in a room a across from my MIL. I seem to recall she died a few years later of skin cancer.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Ah, but then you had no choice but to see these crimes, which probably skews your viewpoint just a little. For the average citizen, the UK is no more dangerous than Canada.
But I do not have a skewed view of the UK - you will note that I personally have not been affected by crime in either country. Both are blissful.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
20 March 1993...the day before Mother's Day. One bomb went off outside Boots...the second ouside McD's. I was at the Warrington General's A&E dept that morning with my MIL. I was standing next to the phone when the nurse answered it. I was still at A&E as they brought some of the victims in. I remember the young mum who lost her legs...she was in a room a across from my MIL. I seem to recall she died a few years later of skin cancer.
I was working in Goodge Street, just off Tottenham Ct. Rd, when the bomb went off in the pub at lunchtime, and a number of friends from the office were injured. A lot of people were killed.
I woke up in bed once to find a man with a knife (pleasuring? nice word that) himself just next to me, having previously taken anything small of value in the flat.

A couple of years ago my husband was stabbed in Charles de Gaulle airport...bizzare really as he had just got home from a war zone, unscathed ( he hadn't intended being there in the first place, he just arrived and it all kicked off around him).

Burglaries...I've had a few, but then again too few to mention! As the song goes.. Shit does happen, everywhere and all the time, it's there but for the grace of whatever that keeps you poodling along. If my number is up though, I'd prefer it not to be for something stupid like having my tyre shot out by some sod I'd just cut off at the lights!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez people, so sorry to hear about the bombings, stabbings, muggings, unprovoked assaults, burglaries, thefts, wanton criminal mischief, GTA and etc...I've lived in California, 6 months in Texas, and the rest in Oregon and seen or been effected by very little crime. Not to say it isn't happening around me I suppose. But I can honestly say it isn't altering my outlook.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:40 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Heard a banging sound coming from outside our front door at about 8pm on Saturday. Worried about my car, I looked out the window only to see my neighbour's daughter throwing her head, repeatedly against the back window of a police car. A cop was trying to cuff her at the time. She was screaming about police brutality even though there were about 5 other witnesses outside watching. I would put her age at around 17. Her mum is a scumbag and it now looks as though she's heading down the same route.

Friday is my last day in the street. They have been part of that reason.
that headbanging against the 'silent patrol man' is quite common. I had a guy do that once, broke his nose, split his head open and knocked himself out. There was blood everywhere. I radioed for assistance and a paramedic asked me in a rather accusing manner, " what the f**K did you do!"
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I was working in Goodge Street, just off Tottenham Ct. Rd, when the bomb went off in the pub at lunchtime, and a number of friends from the office were injured. A lot of people were killed.
I woke up in bed once to find a man with a knife (pleasuring? nice word that) himself just next to me, having previously taken anything small of value in the flat.

A couple of years ago my husband was stabbed in Charles de Gaulle airport...bizzare really as he had just got home from a war zone, unscathed ( he hadn't intended being there in the first place, he just arrived and it all kicked off around him).

Burglaries...I've had a few, but then again too few to mention! As the song goes.. Shit does happen, everywhere and all the time, it's there but for the grace of whatever that keeps you poodling along. If my number is up though, I'd prefer it not to be for something stupid like having my tyre shot out by some sod I'd just cut off at the lights!
Woah! you've had some bad ones! Sorry to hear.

What did the guy do when you woke up? did he run? You must have been petrified. Hope they caught him!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
What did the guy do when you woke up?
Fired his weapon
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
20 March 1993...the day before Mother's Day. One bomb went off outside Boots...the second ouside McD's.
There was a bombing of Harrods in 1993 as well, one of my sisters was just down the street when it happened but she was far enough away, fortunately.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There was a bombing of Harrods in 1993 as well, one of my sisters was just down the street when it happened but she was far enough away, fortunately.
I was at the Ideal Homes Exhibition in Earl's Court in 1976. Someone had left a plastic carrier bag at the top of an escalator...I reported it. A few days later a bomb exploded at the Exhibition...it had been placed in a waste bin at the top of an escalator. I've always wondered if the bag I reported was a 'dry run'.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Woah! you've had some bad ones! Sorry to hear.

What did the guy do when you woke up? did he run? You must have been petrified. Hope they caught him!
Oddly enough....I ONLY woke up because my very aged Springer Spaniel was growling quietly next to me, but I was also living in Muscat, and I started to scream and thank heaven heaven he went...ever since I can't sleep without sleeping tablets and ear plugs...bring it on world - I'd just prefer I was out of it!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Surrey UK:

2001 - all the cars in the street were keyed including mine, lost my no -claims and my sense of humour.

2002 - Person came into our house and took my handbag from the dining room table, I was in the shower upstairs at the time. We locked the front door after that.

2003 - Used to have crappy neighbours for a while, had all sorts of undesirables screaming abuse at each other each night and loud loud drum and bass music. Neighbour between us used to live with ear defenders on in her own home.

2007 - new house, more lovelies screaming abuse and fighting in the street at 2am and leaning on my car.

Hubby worked in the police and saw it all.

Canada
2011 - now
Nothing except my cat having a row with two raccoons on the back deck, we grounded him after that.
Oh and some fallings out between people that involved the RCMP but those were Brits (interestingly)

Last edited by Howefamily; Jun 20th 2012 at 7:32 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

House and neighbour's house broken into in Canada. The twat who did it must have been wearing a down-filled jacket which ripped on the broken window - feathers everywhere and he didn't get anything.
Terrorized by drunk driving a truck round our acreage house screaming threats at 2 a.m. It was in an isolated area and very dark. Fortunately, the idiot landed in the ditch and couldn't get out before the cops came.
Had a psychopathic neighbour who took offence at something another neighbour said and smashed the windows in his truck. A three year feud ensued with the psycho keying cars, chucking rocks through windows, and trying to create tribal warfare on the street. Last straw when he decided we were also the enemy and shot holes in all the windows in our garage. We left.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by leith
House and neighbour's house broken into in Canada. The twat who did it must have been wearing a down-filled jacket which ripped on the broken window - feathers everywhere and he didn't get anything.
Terrorized by drunk driving a truck round our acreage house screaming threats at 2 a.m. It was in an isolated area and very dark. Fortunately, the idiot landed in the ditch and couldn't get out before the cops came.
Had a psychopathic neighbour who took offence at something another neighbour said and smashed the windows in his truck. A three year feud ensued with the psycho keying cars, chucking rocks through windows, and trying to create tribal warfare on the street. Last straw when he decided we were also the enemy and shot holes in all the windows in our garage. We left.
Bloody hell . Tell us where you live so we can avoid the area.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:41 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Where the heck was that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.