Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What book are you reading at the moment?

What book are you reading at the moment?

Old Mar 30th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of
Default Re: What book are you reading at the moment?

Originally Posted by macadian
Black Humour?
slightly naughty though
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
that's a tad inappropriate...
Only if you choose to put such a slant on it. Anyone offended by it I apologise, however I feel that it says much more about them than I....

Or as my buddy would say...give your head a shake and get real.......I grudgingly comply with the small minded PC world in which we now live but there are limits. I suppose it was too much to hope for that the remark would be taken in the spirit in which it was meant....

Last edited by macadian; Mar 30th 2010 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Nooo! The one on post 14. What do you think of the Book of Negroes? It's one that I thought about.
oh, the previous book you mentioned on here. I get it now. Duh, hard day at the coalface so I'm braindead

I'm enjoying reading the Book of Negroes but it's not thrilling me - yet. The main character is OK but I don't find her entirely believable, something just doesn't gel with me. It's interesting and appalling in the way a history book would be, but it doesn't get into my skin the way a novel can. On the other hand The 1000 Splendid Suns was too much for me, too real, too oppressive. I found that I was very miserable after reading it.

I did enjoy Hill's "Any Known Blood". That has some very likeable and fun characters plus the social comment and history of the Underground Railroad and Oakville is very interesting.

Yuck, that wasn't written very well, but it's the best I can manage today
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I finished "Why I hate Canadians" by Will Ferguson yesterday. I thought it would be a good preparation for my oath of citizenship tomorrow

good book though... interesting to see the "Canadian" side, not just the newbies'...

Last edited by woodworm; Mar 30th 2010 at 10:39 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 10:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
I finished "Why I hate Canadians" by Will Ferguson yesterday. I thought it would be a good preparation for my oath of citizenship tomorrow

good book though... interesting to see the "Canadian" side, not just the newbies'...
So why does he hate Canadians?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:35 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Inside Out Girl by Tish Cohen.

I really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, once I got into it.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar

I really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, once I got into it.
Even the lady in Chapters said it was a hard book to get into, I'm hoping the sequel will hit the ground running so to speak.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:28 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Even the lady in Chapters said it was a hard book to get into, I'm hoping the sequel will hit the ground running so to speak.
I just finished the GWADT, and didn't find it hard to get into at all. My biggest complaint about it, is that the translation is really bad in some places. I bought the second book today, but haven't started it yet. Looking forward to it, though. )
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:06 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wannabe
I just finished the GWADT, and didn't find it hard to get into at all. My biggest complaint about it, is that the translation is really bad in some places. I bought the second book today, but haven't started it yet. Looking forward to it, though. )
I just found the 'laying the foundation' of the story a little tedious, I'm nearly done the James Patterson Book, I'll not be able to resist the second book, then it'll be a really annoying wait for the third to get to paperback
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:11 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I just found the 'laying the foundation' of the story a little tedious, I'm nearly done the James Patterson Book, I'll not be able to resist the second book, then it'll be a really annoying wait for the third to get to paperback
Why not get the hard copy from the library?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Oink
Why not get the hard copy from the library?
Because I'll forget to take it back and it'll cost me a fortune AND hardbacks are to heavy to read in bed laying on your side.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

Roadside Crosses by Jeffrey Deaver .. I've read almost all of his books, crime thrillers ...
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:27 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Unseen Academicals by the great Terry Pratchett.

Ook
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road

Recently read and thoroughly enjoyed and can highly recommend...A Thousand Splendid Suns by Afghan author Khaled Hosseini. Also by the same author 'The Kite Runner'. (another great book)

Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:33 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm reading Laurence Hill's The Book of Negroes. I was reading a Thousand Splendid Suns but I found it too upsetting. I'll need to be an a more robust frame of mind before I can tackle that one.
I read Hill's Any Known Blood a couple of months ago. I haven't got round to The Book of Negroes yet - it's in my ever-growing "oh, I must get round to that one day" pile.

Otherwise, I've just finished Levitt & Dubner's Super Freakonomics which I didn't think was as captivating as their first effort, probably because the whilmsical trains of thought were no longer such a surprise.

I've also been enjoying Henning Mankell's Wallander series. Am looking forward to seeing Ken Branagh do the TV version - have downloaded the first few but haven't got round to watching them yet.

For those that want to be disturbed and provoked, try We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Bizarre and grotesque but captivating nonetheless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.