west Jet to Gatwick

Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default west Jet to Gatwick

Any good or much the same as Transat?? Did I read that the flights are often delayed?? Shall I just cough up the extra and fly with a real airline?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: west Jet to Gatwick

We used them last summer, and the flight to LGW was an overnighter (direct from Calgary) so we upgraded for an extra $200. It was perfect.

Free food and drink and sufficient leg room to push back and snore for a a few hours.

No delays, and from Calgary, I'd certainly use them again if the price was right.

The journey home to YYC was regular cattle class and not particularly comfy and you had to pay for everything. Bring your GF sarnies with you
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
We used them last summer, and the flight to LGW was an overnighter (direct from Calgary) so we upgraded for an extra $200. It was perfect.

Free food and drink and sufficient leg room to push back and snore for a a few hours.

No delays, and from Calgary, I'd certainly use them again if the price was right.

The journey home to YYC was regular cattle class and not particularly comfy and you had to pay for everything. Bring your GF sarnies with you
So far Im thinking that i'll try them surely they cant be worse than Transat?
I never trust airlines to provide gf food as even when they do they often get it wrong or the combine it with dairy free so you end up with a rice cake and margarine grease to spread on it.

I thought any flights over 5 hours had to provide a meal though?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So far Im thinking that i'll try them surely they cant be worse than Transat?
I never trust airlines to provide gf food as even when they do they often get it wrong or the combine it with dairy free so you end up with a rice cake and margarine grease to spread on it.

I thought any flights over 5 hours had to provide a meal though?
You're right re the GF food availability - I think Daughter Number Two was offered some dry crackers and some hummus - that was it.

Re flights over 5 hours - not really sure. It was clearly stated when we booked the flight that you should book your meal and pay extra for it. We chose not to and raided M&S before boarding!
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:17 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by ann m
You're right re the GF food availability - I think Daughter Number Two was offered some dry crackers and some hummus - that was it.

Re flights over 5 hours - not really sure. It was clearly stated when we booked the flight that you should book your meal and pay extra for it. We chose not to and raided M&S before boarding!
that sounds a better option. On the way there i prefer to sleep and not bother with being woken for "meals". On the way back, the daytime flight i get the munchies but I'm so aware of being a lard arse that i dont like to eat in public.
So it'll be drinks all the way. Ive found some meal supplements that are only 125mls so Im hoping that security lets me through with them
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe airlines are required to provide meals free of charge. I have taken 4-6 hour flights where meals were extra $$, unless up front in first class.

From Westjet website (for 767 service to/from Gatwick.)

"Since our inflight service does not include a complimentary meal, we recommend pre-purchasing your meal a minimum of 48 hours prior to your flight."

Although water, soda, coffee, tea, juice is complimentary.

For 737 service to/from Gatwick:

"We carry a limited amount of market-fresh items and hot meals on board each flight. To guarantee the meal of your choice, we recommend pre-purchasing a meal 48 hours prior to the departure of your flight."

Drinks provided are the same.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...t/buy-on-board
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm a bit weird but I always quite liked airline meals. Not judged for what you got but the limitations of space and time that they had to work with. Plus the coffee cups were cute and I used to keep one for coffee in my holiday apartment.

Plus they were free - although no doubt the cost was built in to the fare.

But a small salad for nearly $10 and small pizza/pasta for $17? I'd just as soon take a sandwich. Or maybe they'd provide a microwave and a 99c Michelina would do the job.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:20 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't believe airlines are required to provide meals free of charge. I have taken 4-6 hour flights where meals were extra $$, unless up front in first class.

From Westjet website (for 767 service to/from Gatwick.)

"Since our inflight service does not include a complimentary meal, we recommend pre-purchasing your meal a minimum of 48 hours prior to your flight."

Although water, soda, coffee, tea, juice is complimentary.

For 737 service to/from Gatwick:

"We carry a limited amount of market-fresh items and hot meals on board each flight. To guarantee the meal of your choice, we recommend pre-purchasing a meal 48 hours prior to the departure of your flight."

Drinks provided are the same.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...t/buy-on-board
well it looks like you are right, as usual! So maybe it's that they go have to provide a meal not a free meal.

Signs of the times.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My last flight was Hamilton-Moncton 2007 and last time across the Atlantic was 2004 (making 11 times in about ten months) and prior to that I was flying for two or three trips a year to various European destinations.

I'm so out of practice that should I ever do it again I'll feel like a novice
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:39 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

WJ's launch of transatlantic routes has been somewhat problematic due to the elderly nature of the B767 aircraft they use on this route. When mechanical problems occur they have a an impact that they are unable to mitigate quickly. To be clear, I'm not saying the planes are unsafe just that they are older and less reliable. By contrast the 737 service they offered from Ottowa via St John's and now via Gatwick is much more reliable. I flew that several times last year and found it perfectly acceptable. I've never flown Transat but would imagine WJ to be rather better.

Top tip with WJ is to wait takeoff-24 hours and then buy an upgrade to plus seats at a flat fee. $100 or so from Canada to UK, rather more in the other direction due to UK Air Passenger Duty. The Plus seats offer more legroom, free food and booze plus use of an Ipad if you want.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:57 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Another WJ customer here! We aren't ones for plane food anyway and used the M&S at Gatwick and had an on board M&S picnic (yum!).

Tip: Try and book the first row of economy seats immediately behind the plus section. They were described as 'regular' seats but actually had a bit of extra legroom than the rest.

Just build in some extra time if you have any connections - as others have said they only have a few of these planes on the route so don't have the spare planes to hand if one goes tech.

If you don't have it you could always get the WJ credit card - you get $250 WJ dollars that you can put towards the fare portion of your flights, plus a companion voucher which for the UK means you pay $399 for one of the two fares (applies to both economy and plus fares) plus the taxes. It will also give everyone on the same booking a 'free' suitcase each.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I know I'm a bit weird but I always quite liked airline meals. Not judged for what you got but the limitations of space and time that they had to work with. Plus the coffee cups were cute and I used to keep one for coffee in my holiday apartment.

Plus they were free - although no doubt the cost was built in to the fare.

But a small salad for nearly $10 and small pizza/pasta for $17? I'd just as soon take a sandwich. Or maybe they'd provide a microwave and a 99c Michelina would do the job.
Gotta keep in mind how many hands so to speak airline meals go through before they end up on a plane, everyone needs to be paid and the airline needs a profit as well, plus I am sure the cost of the meals includes enough to offset the cost of meals that don't sell and end up in the trash bin.

Back when airline meals were free and airlines over catered and really didn't care, we would be able to get meals for our breaks, find a flight coming in from back east, go to the gate and raid the galley before catering got there.

Now everything has to be accounted for so those days are long gone.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Another WJ customer here! We aren't ones for plane food anyway and used the M&S at Gatwick and had an on board M&S picnic (yum!).

Tip: Try and book the first row of economy seats immediately behind the plus section. They were described as 'regular' seats but actually had a bit of extra legroom than the rest.

Just build in some extra time if you have any connections - as others have said they only have a few of these planes on the route so don't have the spare planes to hand if one goes tech.

If you don't have it you could always get the WJ credit card - you get $250 WJ dollars that you can put towards the fare portion of your flights, plus a companion voucher which for the UK means you pay $399 for one of the two fares (applies to both economy and plus fares) plus the taxes. It will also give everyone on the same booking a 'free' suitcase each.
We just booked 3 flights to Calgary from Ottawa in July via Westjet. It looks like we are going to get dinged for $25/checked bag per flight so with 1 bag each and 3 people and return flights that adds up to $150. Can we use that Westjet credit card for the $150 in luggage fees and not end up paying for it even after booking and not being members currently of any Westjet reward programmes?

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...1-item-2-pos-1
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:54 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Used Westjet once July last year YYZ-LGW. I'd do so again if the price was right, but do take your own food. Inflight app for watching movies/tv was good.

I prefer Transat, but won't fault Westjet. We had no delay. It was booked as a roundtrip with LGW-KEF-YYZ being on Icelandair, who I also can't fault despite a 3hr delay in Reykjavik due to a fault after boarding there.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

We really like Wetsjet and will definitely fly with them anytime. Would fly with them a lot more if they only did a direct flight from either Ottawa or Montreal to London!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.