We're doomed

Old Jul 12th 2017, 5:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're doomed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
BTW, this (for once) has little or nothing to do with climate change. This sort of thing has always happened at irregular intervals. And because the Larssen C is an ice-shalf, which floats, the broken off bit won't affect sea-levels when it melts.\
If/when it melts, why wouldn't it effect sea levels??
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Archimedes' principle, innit? A floating body displaces a volume of water of equal mass to that of the floating body itself. If the ice melts, the volume of the resulting meltwater is exactly the same as the submerged volume of the iceberg.

Meltwater from land-based glaciers will raise sea levels - and the Larsen ice shelf constrains and restrains several glaciers, so as a consequence of the collapse of the ice shelf there will ultimately be changes in sea level from increased flow rates of glaciers, but in and of itself, the melting of a sea-borne ice shelf will not directly affect sea level.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jul 12th 2017 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Archimedes' principle, innit? A floating body displaces a volume of water of equal mass to that of the floating body itself...
This was my version...close enough.

I can't remember how much of ice is below the surface but in terms of breaking off, I assume the bigger bit weighs less so displaces less water than it did and this equals the displacement from the broken off bit.

In terms of melting into the see, I guess it's a reversal of the expansion of water into ice so the bulk of the ice reduces so it's maybe the same volume of melted ice as the solid ice originally beneath the surface.

That's my non scientific theory.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Archimedes' principle, innit? A floating body displaces a volume of water of equal mass to that of the floating body itself. If the ice melts, the volume of the resulting meltwater is exactly the same as the submerged volume of the iceberg.
Eureka.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:12 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't remember how much of ice is below the surface but in terms of breaking off, I assume the bigger bit weighs less so displaces less water than it did and this equals the displacement from the broken off bit.
Not so. If all of the shelf is freely floating then each unit area of the shelf will displace the mass of water equal to the mass of a column of ice formed using the unit area as a cross section (curvature of the earth included). There will however be local variations and some parts will be machanically supported above where it should float and other parts will be pushed down below where it should float but where areas of the size of this berg are concerned these local variations become meaningless.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@dave_j

African or European swallow?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Not so. If all of the shelf is freely floating then each unit area of the shelf will displace the mass of water equal to the mass of a column of ice formed using the unit area as a cross section (curvature of the earth included). There will however be local variations and some parts will be machanically supported above where it should float and other parts will be pushed down below where it should float but where areas of the size of this berg are concerned these local variations become meaningless.
Eh?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Eh?
Still haven't lost the Canadian accent eh.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 11:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A facebook friend advises that it's the size of Delaware.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A facebook friend advises that it's the size of Delaware.
This is the most educational thread ever. Yes I had to google Delaware, but at least I know where it is now (presumably where it's always been). And it must also be 1/4 the size of Wales. I wouldn't take that as mathematically reliable, (but probably Oakvillian could check my working ).

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Jul 13th 2017 at 1:36 am. Reason: Stray bracket.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 2:52 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Keep this one going, please.

I've just got off my the phone with my friend from the flat earth society.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 8:44 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if old Archy considered the mass of water above the surface or not? I appreciate that the size of broken off ice relative to the planet is, shall we say, a drop in the ocean, but it does still seem as though that above surface melt water would raise sea levels? Perhaps I'll need to do some research with some, gin, tonic and ice cubes tonight?!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:19 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if old Archy considered the mass of water above the surface or not? I appreciate that the size of broken off ice relative to the planet is, shall we say, a drop in the ocean, but it does still seem as though that above surface melt water would raise sea levels? Perhaps I'll need to do some research with some, gin, tonic and ice cubes tonight?!
The bit above the water is balanced by the lower density of the ice as a whole compared to the water.

100m3 of water = 110m3 ice = 100tonne. The mass is the same, only the volume and density is different and they cancel each other out.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 12:18 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
...I had to google Delaware...
It sounds like equipment - pots and pans? In fact if one added an I - but it would have to be a small i - you'd have Deliaware.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The bit above the water is balanced by the lower density of the ice as a whole compared to the water.

100m3 of water = 110m3 ice = 100tonne. The mass is the same, only the volume and density is different and they cancel each other out.
That sounds remarkably similar to my non scientific bit upthread.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 3:09 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I'm not questioning the mass, but the change in liquid volume in a fixed space. In any case, a highly scientific experiment is currently underway (chez Shard) to test this out. Fear not, no whiskey will be wasted as a result of this endeavor.

--

Ok ok. Experiment over. We're not doomed. My error

Nobel prizes to Oak, Novo, Bristol, Jings and Archimedes.

Last edited by Shard; Jul 13th 2017 at 3:43 pm. Reason: Closure of aperture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.