Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"We're doing it for the children..."

"We're doing it for the children..."

Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:24 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "We're doing it for the children..."

Originally Posted by Steve_
there are lots of really good Canadian bands I hear on Canadian radio, in the UK it's largely mass-produced pop crap.
thats the funniest thing i have read all day
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

For opportunities, as an engineer, I know that in the UK its virtually impossible to get an apprenticeship, while over here there is ample opportunity, not only for youngsters but for older generation to change their career and get an apprenticeship.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
thats the funniest thing i have read all day
I actually agree, in the UK (well it was) radio one or local; radio one clone driven, where all the 'music' was that deemed to be fit for radio was dance music.

I hate dance music.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:39 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I could never learn the words of songs back in the UK because they played so many - here I know nearly all the words as they keep playing the same ones over and over again. Its like groundhog day all over again as they play the same music constantly. I am all for protectionism but to limit radios and I believe TV that they have to play a certain percentage of canadian music does not make it free choice. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the songs but there is a lot more out there that I would like to hear.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

My nan said that back in day they used to call the phenomenon of emigrating from the UK to Australia, New Zealand or Canada, "the chicken run."
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:14 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
My nan said that back in day they used to call the phenomenon of emigrating from the UK to Australia, New Zealand or Canada, "the chicken run."
Truth is, she couldn't be more wrong. It takes guts and lots of hard work to be a successful immigrant and settle in a new country.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Truth is, she couldn't be more wrong. It takes guts and lots of hard work to be a successful immigrant and settle in a new country.
Its wasn't her expression exclusively, it was the prevailing thought at the time. It was the ones who couldn't make it in the UK who left I suppose.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:25 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I emigrated purely on the basis that it was easier playing football with girls than boys. On top of this there is more Premiership footy on the TV.

Speaking of which I should use this opportunity to plug Fantasy Football. Make sure you all take time away from these monotenously boring threads and get your team signed up!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
In times gone by, immigrants had to be prepared to sacrifice a lot... it took determination and courage to sever ties with your family and set off into the unknown.

These days, with cheap flights, global communications, internet, "recce trips" etc. emigrating to an English-speaking first-world country is not really any more challenging than moving to a different town.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
In times gone by, immigrants had to be prepared to sacrifice a lot... it took determination and courage to sever ties with your family and set off into the unknown.

These days, with cheap flights, global communications, internet, "recce trips" etc. emigrating to an English-speaking first-world country is not really any more challenging than moving to a different town.
Apparently, apart from immediate family and friends, everyone was glad to see the back of those type of people. If they didn't want to stay and help to contribute to the reconstruction of post-war Britain, then they were better off going a long way away.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I agree, when it dawned on me that we were doing just that i.e. moving to a different town, I realised that emigrating to New Zealand might not be that bad. I wanted to move house after ten and a half years in the same house. Just wish I'd have had the courage to say out loud let's just give it a go for a few years rather than saying outright that we would emigrate. Daffodils in August ? Spring in September ? Christmas in Summer ? Yes I was aware of all this but, living it is quite different.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:48 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apparently, apart from immediate family and friends, everyone was glad to see the back of those type of people. If they didn't want to stay and help to contribute to the reconstruction of post-war Britain, then they were better off going a long way away.
So where do you fit into "those type of people"?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:54 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
This comes up as an excuses/reason for emigrating time and time again. As paulgreen puts it on another thread, "Your children will have far more opportunities here than in the UK."

Personally I think that on the whole that hypothesis is pretty much bo**ocks, so where do others stand on this one?
It depends where you come from.

Definitely more opportunities here than in NZ. But more than the UK? um. not sure about that one.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
It depends where you come from.

Definitely more opportunities here than in NZ. But more than the UK? um. not sure about that one.
Seem to be lots of people emigrating to NZ. Any reason why they shouldn't ?
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tangram
Seem to be lots of people emigrating to NZ. Any reason why they shouldn't ?

we wont...cos my mother in law is there, actually they are thinking of going back to the UK after 11 years of being retired in Canada!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.